Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Hi Ancea,

We're on the high 20's. The hot water was yellow but less drastic than what you showed in your picture. The building has a lot of growing pain to overcome.

BTW, how is the workmanship around your bathtub? The caulking around our tub was unevenly applied. It has a lot of gaps that will allow water seeping into behind the tub causing damage in the long run. The quality control was very lacking in our unit.

DONT DRINK THE WATER TODAY!

So, we had another power outage today... that's the second time this week. I waited for a while after the electricity came back on, and I tried running some water for a bath. It came out YELLOW with TONS OF RESIDUE. I had to scrub my tub like you wouldn't believe because of al the deposits. You might not notice how bad it is if the water is in small quantities, but when it pools up (like in a tub) you can tell how coloured it is. Then when you drain it, you get tons of deposits left over, which then stick to your tub and make your life hell.

I talked to security and was told that it's due to the building being new and stuff being in the pipes still, and something about how the pumps don't work during the outages. I still don't really get where all this residue is coming from... but apparently people had their faucets clogged from it on normal days. It's so gross.... I hope none of it gets through into our drinking water!

I'm trying to attach some pics for you guys to see this splendid water we have... View attachment 27656View attachment 27657

Did you report the gaps in caulking on your Tarion form? Not only can it cause damage, it could cause water going into other units -- not something you want to happen.

Hi Ancea,

We're on the high 20's. The hot water was yellow but less drastic than what you showed in your picture. The building has a lot of growing pain to overcome.

BTW, how is the workmanship around your bathtub? The caulking around our tub was unevenly applied. It has a lot of gaps that will allow water seeping into behind the tub causing damage in the long run. The quality control was very lacking in our unit.

I guess the higher the floor, the more problems. So glad we paid $1k per floor... not.

The caulking around my tub was a joke. It was already peeling off days after we moved in, with sections that were no longer even attached to the tub (probably a good 50-60cm was already removing itself by shrivelling upwards). Rather than wait for workers to come do yet another half-assed job (you should see what they did to my 2nd bedroom door... it's nothing short of a massacre on the trim. I think I have about 60-70 nails rammed in the trim, then some sloppy patching which looks like a child's paper mache. No sanding, no putty on the holes the nails made, no repainting), we re-caulked ourselves since we already had the tools and the materials.

We found that they had applied caulk over grout, which isn't usually recommended. Grout usually needs a bit of room to breathe, and the caulk creates a waterproof barrier. It doesn't take long for mold to start growing between the grout and caulk, or for the caulk to start peeling away. There are some cases where caulk over grout is ok, but these situations require special types of grout and caulk that "get along"... which our builder obviously didn't use.

We had reported a lot on the Tarion form, and we got one visit for them to "inspect what still needed to be done". Then, naturally, nothing was done. Our floors still have meters and meters of scratches (a long one made by both wheels from a dolly, all the way from the entrance to where the fridge was placed, to around our island, through our media area, and back out the door), plenty of places where they filled in holes but never sanded or repainted, the tub's caulking problem, grout issues, and so on.

Whenever I talk to management, they tell me "well it's a new building and you have to be patient". Well, my patience is definitely running thin.

Last edited:
The most comical build defect in my unit.

IMG_20140606_162735.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140606_162735.jpg
    IMG_20140606_162735.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 929
WOW.

...how? wtf?!

This is likely the result of poor trades coordination while behind schedule, subpar contractors workmanship and builder arrogance with ~500 units sold pre construction. I feel sorry for my landlord having paid close to half a million for this crap.

Hi neighbors!

Before moving into this condo, our ISP was Teksavvy. I was told by them and Start Communication that 70 Forest Manor can only be serviced by Bell or Rogers. Does any one at 70 forest manor have any luck using an ISP other than Bell or Rogers?

Hi neighbors!

Before moving into this condo, our ISP was Teksavvy. I was told by them and Start Communication that 70 Forest Manor can only be serviced by Bell or Rogers. Does any one at 70 forest manor have any luck using an ISP other than Bell or Rogers?

Did you try Comwave? I intend on using them on tower 3 in August. They use Rogers techs to install Comwave plans.

Hi Toronto83,

I have asked both Comwave and Primus also. They are unable to provide internet because the building (70 Forest Manor) is not mandated by CRTC to be served by third parties other than Rogers or Bell. You can read more about this on: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28265516-FTTH-TPIA-

Please let us know if you're able to make other arrangement.

Did you try Comwave? I intend on using them on tower 3 in August. They use Rogers techs to install Comwave plans.

Back