Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Hi Newbuyer,

I think you're correct that the mortgage starts when the building is registered. As for when registration will be, all we were able to get was an estimate when we last visited the office. We were told 6 months to a year is "the norm".

In other news, I'm getting so restless waiting! We were told that they'd be sending out some informational packages in September, then this got moved to october. Does anyone have an info on this? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

I got my pre-move in guide at the end of September. You might want to contact them. Things get lost in the mail.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Was there anything interesting in there? I don't even know what it's supposed to really be about.

I got my pre-move in guide at the end of September. You might want to contact them. Things get lost in the mail.

Same here, got the pre-move package few weeks ago.

Ancea, you should contact the sales office and make sure that they sent one to you.

BTW, anyone fill in the legal representation letter and mail it back? I contacted my lawyer but she asked me to contact her a month before occupancy, is that normal?

Also, what's the estimate on legal fee? My lawyer quoted me around $1500, is that alright?

Hi Probey,

I guess we'll be contacting them about the package, then!

We haven't filled out the legal rep letter yet. We've been asking friends for lawyer referrals and listening to the advice they had. A friend who recently bought a home was quoted $1,000 for everything. His lawyer had warned him that some lawyers charge extra for all sorts of hidden fees, and that this particular lawyer's fee included it all from start to finish. We haven't contacted him yet since we didn't ask for the contact info at that moment, but we'll likely go through him since it seems easy and our friends were happy.

Last edited:
Same here, got the pre-move package few weeks ago.

Ancea, you should contact the sales office and make sure that they sent one to you.

BTW, anyone fill in the legal representation letter and mail it back? I contacted my lawyer but she asked me to contact her a month before occupancy, is that normal?

Also, what's the estimate on legal fee? My lawyer quoted me around $1500, is that alright?

Hi Probey

I filled out my legal rep letter a while back ago. I think $1,500 is consider the normal.

Ancea, can you please share the name of the lawyer that charge $1,000 flat rate for everything?

Thanks

Hi Probey

I filled out my legal rep letter a while back ago. I think $1,500 is consider the normal.

Ancea, can you please share the name of the lawyer that charge $1,000 flat rate for everything?

Thanks

I can as soon as I get his name and contact info. I've been a bit behind with this stuff :(

Just got an email from Emerald City today and they said they will start scheduling for PDI on October 28

Hi everyone,

I got a note from Emerald saying that we'll be scheduled 2 weeks prior to occupancy for a PDI. Just curious is 2 weeks sufficient time to fix any issues prior to moving in? Also, what tips or experiences do people have for those who have gone through this process already? I have been looking online and will probably come with some kind of checklist. My occupancy date is in late January.

thx.

Hi everyone,

I got a note from Emerald saying that we'll be scheduled 2 weeks prior to occupancy for a PDI. Just curious is 2 weeks sufficient time to fix any issues prior to moving in? Also, what tips or experiences do people have for those who have gone through this process already? I have been looking online and will probably come with some kind of checklist. My occupancy date is in late January.

thx.

Hi Techia,

I've been through this process before. They don't have to actually fix anything before you move in, the apartment just needs to be "liveable". For example, if one bathroom isn't working but the other bathroom is, you can still move in as you will have running water and a toilet, therefore it is "liveable".

I know this from personal experience with our friends (who were our next-door neighbours). They had the bathroom issue, plus many more in the house (walls weren't properly patched up and were wavy, some fixtures weren't working, etc). They were still told to move in, and people came over to fix stuff during the day.

My tips would be:
1- read your contract so you know what their responsabilities are and what they haven't actually claimed to do.
2- Make sure you test out everything- see how the doors close/lock/slide and how all the handles work, if the windows open/close properly, make sure all water fixutres work properly (shower/tub, toilets, sinks), check out your appliances to make sure they're in working condition. Look at all the walls to make sure that nails haven't started popping out already (you can see little round circles on the wall), make sure the outlets work, etc. Basically, go in with a critical eye, and jot down anything you see wrong. Most of the things they'll have to fix.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Last edited:
Hi Techia,

I've been through this process before. They don't have to actually fix anything before you move in, the apartment just needs to be "liveable". For example, if one bathroom isn't working but the other bathroom is, you can still move in as you will have running water and a toilet, therefore it is "liveable".

I know this from personal experience with our friends (who were our next-door neighbours). They had the bathroom issue, plus many more in the house (walls weren't properly patched up and were wavy, some fixtures weren't working, etc). They were still told to move in, and people came over to fix stuff during the day.

My tips would be:
1- read your contract so you know what their responsabilities are and what they haven't actually claimed to do.
2- Make sure you test out everything- see how the doors close/lock/slide and how all the handles work, if the windows open/close properly, make sure all water fixutres work properly (shower/tub, toilets, sinks), check out your appliances to make sure they're in working condition. Look at all the walls to make sure that nails haven't started popping out already (you can see little round circles on the wall), make sure the outlets work, etc. Basically, go in with a critical eye, and jot down anything you see wrong. Most of the things they'll have to fix.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Natalie from Emerald told me that they will be providing a checklist for us. Should we go with their checklist, or are there any checklists out here that we can print and bring it with us? Is it worth to hire a contractor or home inspector on the day of the inspection?

Natalie from Emerald told me that they will be providing a checklist for us. Should we go with their checklist, or are there any checklists out here that we can print and bring it with us? Is it worth to hire a contractor or home inspector on the day of the inspection?

Heya Newbuyer,

I suggest this checklist from Tarion: http://www.tarion.com/New-Home-Buyers/Your-Pre-Delivery-Inspection/Pages/PDI-Check-List.aspx.

Some of the stuff from the list is more applicable to houses, but most is universal.

As for hiring a home inspector, usually this is recommended with any sale. I suggest it especially if you're unsure of what to really look for yourself and for peace of mind. While everything *should* be good and under warranty, it would be good if an experienced professional caught mistakes earlier rather than later. Home inspectors range in cost a lot, but I've seen a bunch of experienced inspectors at about $100/hour. I don't think a condo inspection should take more than an hour or max two (but from what I remember, you have a 1 bedroom unit, so my guess should be around the hour mark).

Back