Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

I will be doing as much research as I can and will have a checklist on the PDI day. I don't know how many Emerald City condo owners actually read these threads but I think it would be helpful to share each other's experiences.

I will be doing as much research as I can and will have a checklist on the PDI day. I don't know how many Emerald City condo owners actually read these threads but I think it would be helpful to share each other's experiences.

I agree :) When will you be moving in, techia?

21st floor....... you must be even higher than that!

31st floor.

You must be so excited to move in... We went to see the buildings last night (some lights were left on, and if you went on the highest level of Fairview's parking lot, you could see into some apartments), and some of the finishes and such were visable. Some apartments looked almost move-in ready (but no appliances yet).

The dates that we received is the Firm Occupancy Date, is it not? So if my Firm Occupancy date is in December 2013 and the builder is going to delay it again, the 90 notice is supposed to be given to me 90 days from the Firm Occupancy date, or 90 days from the new date?

Logically, it should be 90 days notice BEFORE your firm occupancy.

But this is a good question, and I think you should ask Natalie. I'm curious, too. I really hope there won't be any more delays though- knock on wood!

I received my PDI appointment date today :)

I am still thinking whether I should hire an inspector or not :(

Newbuyer,

While I do have family that knows this stuff, I also personally studied it as well. It's always good to have an idea yourself- you wouldn't believe how many things an inspector can miss (you did mention Mike Holmes- notice that even on his show, people who have gotten inspectors or other professionals can have major problems). I bought a bunch of books (you can find books as to codes and such for really reasonable prices at Home Depot, for example) and read them myself, that way I don't have to rely on home inspectors. If it were an old home that I'd be purchasing, I would likely be more inclined to hire someone though.

I know you're looking for a personal reference, so I asked a co-worker who recently moved if he had anyone inspect, and he said he used this website: http://www.homeproofinspections.com/

He seems to be happy with them (he moved in to his new place a few months ago).

As for your pickiness question:
-If anything isn't to code, it will have to be redone (this isn't optional for them- code is code).
-If anything isn't in PROPER working condition, it will have to be fixed (though they may choose to fix it after move-in as long as they deem your apartment in livable condition until then).

My two cents is mention everything that you're not satisfied with- the worst they can do is say "no" and explain why they don't need to fix that (and you can always refer back to your contract to double-check everything they're responsible for).

Hi Ancea,

I called the home inspector and he charges $200 plus HST for a condo. Cheaper than Mike Holmes for sure.

Hi Newbuyer,

Congrats! Let us know how it goes.

Is it true that PDI only happens 2 weeks before occupancy?

And what is the usual rate for hiring a home inspector? Does the price vary a lot?

Hi Newbuyer,

And what is the usual rate for hiring a home inspector? Does the price vary a lot?

Thanks Probey.

I don't know. I don't think so. My occupancy is on mid December. It's about 20 something days from the PDI.

I don't know the usual rate for home inspector. Ancea recommended to me that home inspector and I think his fee is very competitive.

Thanks Probey.

I don't know. I don't think so. My occupancy is on mid December. It's about 20 something days from the PDI.

I don't know the usual rate for home inspector. Ancea recommended to me that home inspector and I think his fee is very competitive.

20-something days pre-occupancy for the PDI? That's interesting, we were told it would be very close to move-in- as in 2 weeks or less!

I'm glad the referral worked out well price-wise, thanks for letting us know what you were quoted! Are you feeling more at ease now?

Hi Newbuyer,

We were told the PDI is max 2 weeks out, and likely to be less than 2 weeks pre-occupancy. O well, even if it's earlier than that, it's exciting to actually see what you bought instead of just waiting for it!

Back