Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

I think there is some confusion over occupancy date and closing date:

Occupancy Date: (For my particular unit this was supposed to be November 14th - I assume because of the month long strike it will be delayed as such)

The purchaser is allowed to move into or occupy the property

The purchaser is paying occupancy fees to the builder (i.e., rent) which are outlined in the Agreement of Purchase and Sale

You are NOT paying a mortgage at this point

Closing/Registration Date: (We are all speculating at this point - some posters have said June 2014 but it could be less or could be more - no one knows at this point

This occurs upon registration of the building

You, the purchaser, legally owns the property and has possession of the property i.e., your condo

Your mortgage term begins, you start making mortgage payments and paying down your mortgage quickly

so as per the latest email from them, they said "confirmed occupancy date", is that the same with closing date??

so as per the latest email from them, they said "confirmed occupancy date", is that the same with closing date??

I don't think it's the same- occupancy is just when you move in, and closing date is when officially "own" the place and start paying your mortgage instead of the interim fees.

Did anyone receive any emails as to when the confirmed occupancy date will be? Natalie had send out one saying she will tell us Monday, but then that never happened, and now we're supposed to wait for something to come in today. It's starting to get pretty annoying, imo :confused:

I don't think it's the same- occupancy is just when you move in, and closing date is when officially "own" the place and start paying your mortgage instead of the interim fees.

Did anyone receive any emails as to when the confirmed occupancy date will be? Natalie had send out one saying she will tell us Monday, but then that never happened, and now we're supposed to wait for something to come in today. It's starting to get pretty annoying, imo :confused:

I got a letter yersterday via email. My final occupancy date is December 2013. :)

I am sure you will get yours in time.

Thanks for the info, newbuyer. Which floor are you on? From what I understand, they start moving in lower floors and then make their way to the top.

Also, did your date change much? Do you know what it was supposed to be before the changes resulting from the strike?

I think it was in October. Is yours 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom?

Thanks for the info, Newbuyer! I guess delaying by 6-8 weeks somewhat makes sense since the strike lasted so long.

The apartment we have is 2 bedrooms + media (it's the Flora layout).

Last edited:
In regards to upgrading your appliances without going with the builder, I understand that you can go to the Brick and pay them to deliver the appliances that you want. Yes, our builder purchase the appliances from the Brick.

The question is when do we have to let the Brick know that we want to upgrade the appliances.

In regards to upgrading your appliances without going with the builder, I understand that you can go to the Brick and pay them to deliver the appliances that you want. Yes, our builder purchase the appliances from the Brick.

The question is when do we have to let the Brick know that we want to upgrade the appliances.

Yea, I am interested to know too. Or maybe we can get a group deal with the Brick? :confused::p

Back