Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Thanks, Ancea

I contacted the lawyer and he is asking about $1900. I found one that is cheaper than that.

On the side note, when do we have to pay the land transfer tax?

Thanks, Ancea

I contacted the lawyer and he is asking about $1900. I found one that is cheaper than that.

On the side note, when do we have to pay the land transfer tax?

Well that's quite a difference... hmmm.... I guess we should start doing our research on others.

As for the land transfer tax, I'm not sure to be honest. My guess would be when the land is actually transfered to us (when the actual ownership beings), because until then, it's techically not your land. But as I said... that's a guess.

Anyone knows good home inspector for the pre delivery inspection day?
Mike Holmes inspection services charges $400 plus for this service which is outrageous.

You don't need a home inspector to do a PDI. Google it -- there are lots of good lists you can use. You'll want to bring something to check out all the electrical sockets, turn on all the taps, turn on all the light switches, etc. etc. Even if you miss something, you'll also be filing a 30 day report because sometimes you won't notice something until you've been living there a bit.

You don't need a home inspector to do a PDI. Google it -- there are lots of good lists you can use. You'll want to bring something to check out all the electrical sockets, turn on all the taps, turn on all the light switches, etc. etc. Even if you miss something, you'll also be filing a 30 day report because sometimes you won't notice something until you've been living there a bit.

We know that "googling" is the most common way to look for an answer, but not always the best way. I am looking for a reference through personal or business dealing that one can vouch for.

I didn't know about the 30 day report, and that is good to know.

Sorry Newbuyer,

I don't know anyone who I can recommend. To be honest, we likely won't get an inspector. But, this is because my family and I know a lot of the codes (electrical, etc), so they'll check it all out after move-in for us. We should have time after the move-in to report anything wrong as well.

I have included a website link with a checklist you can bring with you, I believe it can be found in response to someone on the previous page. There are many more lists such as that out there, some more comprehensive, some simpler.

Of course, if this is your first home and you're more comfortable getting an inspection done by a professional (especially if you're not familiar with codes, PDIs, etc), then my humble opinion is "better safe than sorry". Inspectors don't just make sure things work, they make sure they're built to code and safe. All that the checklist provided will do help you determine whether something works.

Sorry Newbuyer,

I don't know anyone who I can recommend. To be honest, we likely won't get an inspector. But, this is because my family and I know a lot of the codes (electrical, etc), so they'll check it all out after move-in for us. We should have time after the move-in to report anything wrong as well.

I have included a website link with a checklist you can bring with you, I believe it can be found in response to someone on the previous page. There are many more lists such as that out there, some more comprehensive, some simpler.

Of course, if this is your first home and you're more comfortable getting an inspection done by a professional (especially if you're not familiar with codes, PDIs, etc), then my humble opinion is "better safe than sorry". Inspectors don't just make sure things work, they make sure they're built to code and safe. All that the checklist provided will do help you determine whether something works.

The list (thought I know it's not what you're looking for, but you can always double-check things while the inspector is working as well) is this: http://www.tarion.com/New-Home-Buyer...heck-List.aspx.

I thought it would be easier if I re-posted the link, so you or anyone else won't have to backtrack if needed.

We know that "googling" is the most common way to look for an answer, but not always the best way. I am looking for a reference through personal or business dealing that one can vouch for.

I didn't know about the 30 day report, and that is good to know.
Sorry, I didn't mean google to find an inspector, I meant google to find a PDI list :). There are some excellent ones out there.

You also need to check before doing your PDI -- some developers will only allow the owners to attend so you need to be sure you can have an inspector with you.

I really think you can save the money. I've worked with Plaza's customer care, and they showed us things that needed to be attended to.

We brought our interior designer with us (with permission) who previously worked for a developer so she pointed out a few things too, and I didn't have to pay for the inspector.

Sorry, I didn't mean google to find an inspector, I meant google to find a PDI list :). There are some excellent ones out there.

You also need to check before doing your PDI -- some developers will only allow the owners to attend so you need to be sure you can have an inspector with you.

I really think you can save the money. I've worked with Plaza's customer care, and they showed us things that needed to be attended to.

We brought our interior designer with us (with permission) who previously worked for a developer so she pointed out a few things too, and I didn't have to pay for the inspector.

PinkLucy,

I think you may have a point there. I believe that on the pamphlet thing they sent us for PDI and move-in, they did say that only owners are to come (and that extended family, etc, cannot attend). Something to check for sure, hopefully they will allow inspectors.

Goodie for both of you to know someone that know the codes and etc hence you don't have to pay for it. I don't know anyone so yeah :(

Do you guys know how much we can be picky on all things that we see?

Goodie for both of you to know someone that know the codes and etc hence you don't have to pay for it. I don't know anyone so yeah :(

Newbuyer,

While I do have family that knows this stuff, I also personally studied it as well. It's always good to have an idea yourself- you wouldn't believe how many things an inspector can miss (you did mention Mike Holmes- notice that even on his show, people who have gotten inspectors or other professionals can have major problems). I bought a bunch of books (you can find books as to codes and such for really reasonable prices at Home Depot, for example) and read them myself, that way I don't have to rely on home inspectors. If it were an old home that I'd be purchasing, I would likely be more inclined to hire someone though.

I know you're looking for a personal reference, so I asked a co-worker who recently moved if he had anyone inspect, and he said he used this website: http://www.homeproofinspections.com/

He seems to be happy with them (he moved in to his new place a few months ago).

As for your pickiness question:
-If anything isn't to code, it will have to be redone (this isn't optional for them- code is code).
-If anything isn't in PROPER working condition, it will have to be fixed (though they may choose to fix it after move-in as long as they deem your apartment in livable condition until then).

My two cents is mention everything that you're not satisfied with- the worst they can do is say "no" and explain why they don't need to fix that (and you can always refer back to your contract to double-check everything they're responsible for).

Be as picky as you want. You are paying a lot of money so don't compromise. I had them rip out my entire backsplash because it wasn't the one I had ordered. On the other hand, there was a small chip on the bathtub that they were able to buff out -- I didn't make them replace the entire tub.

If you purchased upgrades, be sure you got them. Bring the list of your colour selections, etc, and make sure that is all correct. Those are things an inspector can't help you with.

And remember the old saying that you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Screaming and yelling isn't likely to get you anywhere but being reasonable and polite will. Be firm, insist on getting things fixed, listen to alternatives and be prepared to have workers coming in to your suite after you have moved in, and you will all get along :)

(And I still say an inspector for a new condo is a waste of money. With a bit of homework, you can do it yourself. Start with the Tarion site. And not only do you have the PDI and the 30 day report, you,ve also got a one year and two year form. You will also have an opportunity to report on any common element deficiencies)

Thanks for the input. Natalie from Emerald has confirmed that you are allowed to bring your own home inspector.

Back