News   May 03, 2024
 958     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 589     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 281     0 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

The Queens Quay streetcar stop is very busy at times, serving the ferry connection. And, there is no bus alternative. Walking from Union to Queens Quay is possible but not particularly pleasant.

Toronto City Council votes to advance Eglinton East Light Rail Transit and Waterfront Transit Network

Of course, it doesn't mean much until the projects are funded.

Toronto City Council votes to advance Eglinton East Light Rail Transit and Waterfront Transit Network

Good Stuff.

The Queens Quay streetcar stop is very busy at times, serving the ferry connection. And, there is no bus alternative. Walking from Union to Queens Quay is possible but not particularly pleasant.
The PATH goes all the way to Queens Quay from Union. How is it unpleasant? It's not like you have to go outside ...

There are times, the line for the streetcar at Union is so long, it's quicker to walk to Queens Quay Station and get one there! :)

Last edited:

And I hope things stay that way.

The PATH goes all the way to Queens Quay from Union. How is it unpleasant? It's not like you have to go outside ...

There are times, the line for the streetcar at Union is so long, it's quicker to walk to Queens Quay Station and get one there! :)

Interesting .. I walked from Union to QQ a few times in the past, always taking Bay St. Didn't realize there is a PATH connection.

No kidding. One look at the line will see me walking than standing in that line and one reason for the expansion of the loop to 4 platform. Problem cause of higher ridership demand over quality of service, too many 510 being short turn, 509 bunching as well 510.

And I hope things stay that way.
The Waterfront LRT East extension to Parliament St and Union loop in the 2020-2030 capital budget now and could start in late 2022 or early 2023.

The plan now to take it to Cherry St is not in the budget and to have a 30% design and budget done by Oct 2021 so it can be put into the 2022 capital budget as well can it be done in the same timeframe as taking the line to Parliament St. If the extension and budget can meet the current schedule as Parliament St, the Parliament St loop will be remove.

Having an east west line up and running before work starts on the Bay tunnel and loop is a must. It will be about 2-3 years of taking a bus from Union to QQ or walking it.

Time to get on building both Eglinton extension.

Will the waterfront be a transit city line or streetcars.

I think, "streetcars". In its own right of way like Spadina and St Clair, but with a frequent stop spacing, and using the Flexity Outlooks running on the TTC gauge and using the downtown network's voltage.

Long stop distances won't work well in downtown, and using vehicles incompatible with the rest of downtown network would limit the routing options.

I used to work in 10 Bay (office above QQ streetcar station) and while you can technically take the PATH, it's a bit of a maze. Involves a non-descript door in Union, terrible wayfinding, and many twists turns.. and stairs
Ah, I'd forgotten that door ... which is actually in the ACC (or whatever bank it belongs to now). But it's not that bad, the door is right on the main east-west walkway south of Union, about across from the (ACC) ticket counters. Then it's pretty straight under the Gardiner, and into Hallmark place ... and down stairs near Queens Quay station.

Now that they've added that second floor connection from near there to the new bus terminal, perhaps that staircase has improved? I haven't been there for almost a year now, with lockdown.

Still, it sure beats walking down Bay or York!

Interesting .. I walked from Union to QQ a few times in the past, always taking Bay St. Didn't realize there is a PATH connection.
It's that glass-covered overpass from 2014, that's strapped to the underside of the Gardiner Expressway. Yeah, walking sucks ... you could die of old age waiting for the light to change at Lakeshore ... and then at Harbour ... and that's in good weather!

This is great! Jennifer McKelvie on Twitter: "A big step for the Eglinton East LRT in Scarborough! @johntory & Executive Committee just endorsed committing $1.2B to the project, subject to Council approval next week. Looking forward to working with provincial & federal representatives to secure full funding #ScarbTO #TOpoli https://t.co/TUNDmejBaJ" / Twitter

1613066913480.png

More great news - I've decided to commit $5 billion to burying the Eglinton East LRT, and $5 billion to extending the OL to Dundas West.

I'll let you know when I secure funding!
Wouldn't this mean 1.2 Billion is on the table from the city side? So isn't that a good thing. Province/Feds should pony up no?

Back