News   Jul 16, 2024
 357     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

Doesn't the good people of etobicoke deserve a subway? The east in relatively recent years got Sheppard east, soon a Ontario line and a danforth extension and you're upset that Eglinton west wants a subway.

This is all sarcasm of course but this is what happens when you vote for someone who advocates subway subway subway.. You're either going to be really over the top lucky or completely in the poor house.

For all the "Scarborough deserves a subway talk" Scarborough is getting exactly what it "deserves" for falling for this ford nation nonsense about being for the little people.

Etobicoke has a subway line, running a mere 4 km south of the proposed Eglinton West LRT-subway. Nearly all N-S bus route in Etobicoke will still connect to the Bloor subway.

If something needs to be scaled down to make fiscal room for EE LRT, then should it be Scarborough Subway whose projected peak ridership is 10k pphpd or higher? Or, Eglinton West which will be lucky to reach 2,5k pphpd? I think, the latter.

Wait, the Province is moving forward with these subways with no City funds. Which was also likely a politically strategic move to give the City the option to fund the EELRT with the SSE transit levy, knowing how they historically choose to fumble the ball and cut corners in Scarborough. And sure enough Council couldn't take the EELRT away fast enough.

Certainly I would wish the Province would pay for everything, but non-grade separated transit isnt their objective for good reasons (method debatable) and they gave the City the chance to show its 'priority' colours as it relates to Scarborough EELRT. Not the greatest designed LRT as it stood but that would be the bottom right? Not when council can pull this red paint stunt on City specified 'priority' residents. Not even a BRT, not even a proper cycle lane for us? Good lord. This is exactly why Ford wins easily here because Council continuously refuses to plan fairly or effectively as it relates to Scarborough.

This nonsense should kickstart the conversation again and the City has no one to blame but itself if the political fallout costs us all focus, time and money once again.

I don't expect the Province to leave the City completely off the hook for the Province's 4 priority projects. Metrolinx took control and will (hopefully) provide a large portion of funds, but it would be unlikely they treat the City so kindly as to let them not contribute at all. The City's collected SSE levy will certainly be the target.

If that's not the case, and the City is free to use its own transit funds however it wishes, then indeed it will be a great idea to direct the SSE levy towards Eglinton East. Actually, Patrick Brown made that kind of suggestion during his brief period as the PC leader. But I never heard that confirmed by Doug Ford, and Ford has a much more extensive transit agenda and therefore is unlikely to miss the chance to shift some of the burden to the city.

Doesn't the good people of etobicoke deserve a subway? The east in relatively recent years got Sheppard east, soon a Ontario line and a danforth extension and you're upset that Eglinton west wants a subway.

This is all sarcasm of course but this is what happens when you vote for someone who advocates subway subway subway.. You're either going to be really over the top lucky or completely in the poor house.

For all the "Scarborough deserves a subway talk" Scarborough is getting exactly what it "deserves" for falling for this ford nation nonsense about being for the little people.
Ford gave them a more reasonable version of what they would've gotten from Wynne. The initial 1 stop extension plan under the liberals was flat out one of the stupidest rapid transit plans ever devised in this city. While the 3 stop extension isn't the greatest of plans, at the very least it brings a usable trunk line that can easily be used to create more rapid transit in the future.

Ford gave them a more reasonable version of what they would've gotten from Wynne. The initial 1 stop extension plan under the liberals was flat out one of the stupidest rapid transit plans ever devised in this city. While the 3 stop extension isn't the greatest of plans, at the very least it brings a usable trunk line that can easily be used to create more rapid transit in the future.
Great... I'm glad you're happy about the 3 stop subway but then don't complain about the red painted bus lanes.

If you wanted a LRT here you should have supported the LRT conversion or the one stop subway. The three stop subway all but guaranteed Eglinton east was getting nothing.

Reactions: syn
Great... I'm glad you're happy about the 3 stop subway but then don't complain about the red painted bus lanes.

If you wanted a LRT here you should have supported the LRT conversion or the one stop subway. The three stop subway all but guaranteed Eglinton east was getting nothing.
Actually I'm perfectly fine with red paint. While its not cleanest solution, it is at the very least a decent stopgap for when the funding for an LRT does appear. Its not like we're investing a ton of money into this BRT system. If the choice is between a Line 2 extension that costs billions that actually makes sense and red paint, vs a Line 2 extension that costs billions that is the worst thing ever put on the page and an eglinton east extension, I would rather have the former.

Etobicoke has a subway line, running a mere 4 km south of the proposed Eglinton West LRT-subway. Nearly all N-S bus route in Etobicoke will still connect to the Bloor subway.

If something needs to be scaled down to make fiscal room for EE LRT, then should it be Scarborough Subway whose projected peak ridership is 10k pphpd or higher? Or, Eglinton West which will be lucky to reach 2,5k pphpd? I think, the latter.
Employment and institution drives ridership.
There is potential for Eg West if it eventually leads to the airport along with a better transit network around the airport employment area. Eg East is more for the typical local travel demands and would stay stable for many years unless UTSC does a major expansion. As for Scarborough Centre, what will the city do to get more jobs there???

Actually I'm perfectly fine with red paint. While its not cleanest solution, it is at the very least a decent stopgap for when the funding for an LRT does appear. Its not like we're investing a ton of money into this BRT system. If the choice is between a Line 2 extension that costs billions that actually makes sense and red paint, vs a Line 2 extension that costs billions that is the worst thing ever put on the page and an eglinton east extension, I would rather have the former.
Perhaps. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to provide protection for a future stop at Lawrence East and extend Line 4 straight into Scarborough Centre under the previous 1-stop plan depending on future funding.

It's pretty funny to SSE supporters arguing against the EWLRT extension and in favour of the EELRT based on things like density, ridership, etc.

I guess those things only matter for projects outside Scarborough.

Inside Scarbrough it's SUBWAY SUBWAY SUBWAYS FOR THE PEOPLE DON'T TREAT US LIKE 2ND CLASS CITIZENS.

Happy you're perfectly fine with red paint. Can you do me a favour and the rest of the city which isn't Scarborough and explain to your residents, OneCity in particular, how you may have lost this battle but you have won the war. Also please fill them in that it isn't a conspiracy from the downtown elite bike riders again the greatest suburb on earth.

It's pretty funny to SSE supporters arguing against the EWLRT extension and in favour of the EELRT based on things like density, ridership, etc.

I guess those things only matter for projects outside Scarborough.

Inside Scarbrough it's SUBWAY SUBWAY SUBWAYS FOR THE PEOPLE DON'T TREAT US LIKE 2ND CLASS CITIZENS.
Oh give it a rest. I live here and I didn't vote for any of the Ford's. I did support LRT conversion/RT renovation as well as the EELRT most of all and I generally still do. However I have accepted what is to happen with the SSE as we are a year away from construction. (If all goes well) The bus lanes or "red paint" seems like a good interim solution and I'm fine with that. In other words, there's no turning back now.

Oh give it a rest. I live here and I didn't vote for any of the Ford's. I did support LRT conversion/RT renovation as well as the EELRT most of all and I generally still do. However I have accepted what is to happen with the SSE as we are a year away from construction. (If all goes well) The bus lanes or "red paint" seems like a good interim solution and I'm fine with that. In other words, there's no turning back now.
The problem is that the pro subway people are the loudest in Scarborough despite polls showing often people would prefer the Lrt. That and this site is highlighted by OneCity whom in my opinion has become Scarboroughs voice since little if any Scarborough residents argue against him on here. As a former Scarborough resident I'm always happy to hear reasonable people still live there.

Happy you're perfectly fine with red paint. Can you do me a favour and the rest of the city which isn't Scarborough and explain to your residents, OneCity in particular, how you may have lost this battle but you have won the war. Also please fill them in that it isn't a conspiracy from the downtown elite bike riders again the greatest suburb on earth.
Who or what is OneCity?

Who or what is OneCity?
Wait, the Province is moving forward with these subways with no City funds. Which was also likely a politically strategic move to give the City the option to fund the EELRT with the SSE transit levy, knowing how they historically choose to fumble the ball and cut corners in Scarborough. And sure enough Council couldn't take the EELRT away fast enough.

Certainly I would wish the Province would pay for everything, but non-grade separated transit isnt their objective for good reasons (method debatable) and they gave the City the chance to show its 'priority' colours as it relates to Scarborough EELRT. Not the greatest designed LRT as it stood but that would be the bottom right? Not when council can pull this red paint stunt on City specified 'priority' residents. Not even a BRT, not even a proper cycle lane for us? Good lord. This is exactly why Ford wins easily here because Council continuously refuses to plan fairly or effectively as it relates to Scarborough.

This nonsense should kickstart the conversation again and the City has no one to blame but itself if the political fallout costs us all focus, time and money once again.

ok I see
Reading through some of his posts, he kind of has a point. Historically when Scarborough gets transit infrastructure built or proposed, it usually is corner cut and reduced. Sheppard and Scarborough LRTs are perfect examples of this. However I will strongly say that Bus lanes on Eglinton isn't an example of that. The bus lanes are being put in many corridors that had LRTs planned in Transit City or are likely to have LRTs in the future, namely Jane and Finch East. Scarborough is no longer getting that god awful Scarborough LRT, and under the current administration, Sheppard East will probably be a subway. Especially if the latter becomes true, I don't think calling Bus lanes on Eglinton purposefully ignoring Scarborough to be valid.

I wasn't referring to you.

It's the SSE supporters who have one set of rules for Scarborough, and another for the rest of the city.

And there's really nothing to give a rest as far as the EELRT is concerned - the SSE has used up the entire budget for this project. It's the reason this isn't proceeding.

Back