News   Jul 26, 2024
 191     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 957     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 756     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Found in a Metrolinx presentation on the Canadian Urban Institute website.

Site plan for Kennedy Station:

kennedystationplan.jpg

Looks like they are designing Kenendy Station to have through-running between the SRT and Eglinton, but no connections at all to Scarborough-Malvern. And the SRT would be moved underground.

Hmm. So instead of extending BD, have Eglinton terminate at STC instead but also provide improved interchange with BD...wonder if that's a good idea.

Wonder how doable is an Eglinton line with eventual branching at both ends.

AoD

Looks like they are designing Kenendy Station to have through-running between the SRT and Eglinton, but no connections at all to Scarborough-Malvern. And the SRT would be moved underground.

Yes, that would be the design that Rob Ford is trying to cancel.

axTxE.png

Hmm. So instead of extending BD, have Eglinton terminate at STC instead but also provide improved interchange with BD...wonder if that's a good idea.

Wonder how doable is an Eglinton line with eventual branching at both ends.

AoD

To me having Eglinton extended along Hwy 2 looks even better than this. I'm wondering if there's a heavy demand along the corridor...

There might not be enough demand at this point - but branching can provide for that eventuality.

Come to think of it, having an Eglinton going to STC might be more desirable than straight BD extension, for the following reasons:

1. Fewer transfers to a greater number of nodes - with this scheme, STC/Scarborough can access more nodes with fewer (or the same) number of transfers (none for Pearson, Y/E; the same - one - for downtown, York U)

2. Less likely to burden Bloor-Yonge Station - transfer at new Eglinton-Yonge instead.

3. Potentially faster - with the right implementation, one might be looking at fewer stops than using BD line.

4. Can utilize existing ROW/infrastructure - depending on how it is implemented, the line might be able to reuse some of these elements.

Thoughts?

AoD

Last edited:
There might not be enough demand at this point - but branching can provide for that eventuality.

Come to think of it, having an Eglinton going to STC might be more desirable than straight BD extension, for the following reasons:

1. Fewer transfers to a greater number of nodes - with this scheme, STC/Scarborough can access more nodes with fewer (or the same) number of transfers (none for Pearson, Y/E; the same - one - for downtown, York U)

2. Less likely to burden Bloor-Yonge Station - transfer at new Eglinton-Yonge instead.

3. Potentially faster - with the right implementation, one might be looking at fewer stops than using BD line.

4. Can utilize existing ROW/infrastructure - depending on how it is implemented, the line might be able to reuse some of these elements.

Thoughts?

AoD

My only worry is that the at-grade portion of Eglinton East may not be able to handle the increased traffic. I doubt the 5400 pphpd calc for Eglinton included the nearly 10,000pphpd the SLRT is projected to carry. Think about it, assuming every 2nd train is an Eglinton-bound train, that's an extra 5000pphpd from STC using Eglinton to get to Yonge. That's over 10,000pphpd on some sections of Eglinton. In order to get that, the trains would have to either be running at a pretty high frequency, or be pretty long trains. I have no doubt the tunnel section would be able to handle it, but Eglinton East at-grade? Maybe, maybe not.

In that scenario the line should be be engineered to HRT standards. The other issue I have in mind is if you have such an arrangement what would be the number of transfers at Kennedy vs. Eglinton.

AoD

In that scenario the line should be be engineered to HRT standards. The other issue I have in mind is if you have such an arrangement what would be the number of transfers at Kennedy vs. Eglinton.

AoD

Engineering it to HRT standards would involve scrapping the at-grade eastern portion and replacing it with something grade-separated.

The SRT corridor and the areas of Scarborough that feed it would benefit more from a connection to downtown. The number of people riding from Scarborough to the airport would be extremely trivial. If the SRT was combined with Eglinton, the Yonge subway would be completely overwhelmed. It's already full at Eglinton. Hell, it's usually full at Sheppard. Many people would then have to transfer onto the B/D line, and perhaps transfer again onto the Spadina/University line. There's nothing on Eglinton that anyone needs to travel across town to. Many people might just continue transferring to the Danforth line to go downtown, which would be infuriating.

The Danforth line could then run east along Eglinton...which isn't the worst thing in the world because east of Kennedy is where Eglinton is busiest. It's far busier than Eglinton west of Kennedy. There's really no benefits to combining Eglinton and the SRT when the Danforth line can go to STC and Eglinton can be built as a through route.

That plan indicates the Kennedy renovation will take forever and cost a bloody fortune. Might as well rejig the existing platform to allow Eglinton to use it, and build a new Kennedy station for the Danforth line that would allow easy use of the existing corridor. Run up the corridors to Midland & Lawrence, then stop again at Midland & Ellesmere, and once more at STC. That's the best alignment overall.

They've been drilling core samples for a weeks now at the old bus bays at Yonge and Eglinton. Maybe 20 feet from Eglinton. This is the first time that it occurred to me that this might be for the Eglinton LRT

They've been drilling core samples for a weeks now at the old bus bays at Yonge and Eglinton. Maybe 20 feet from Eglinton. This is the first time that it occurred to me that this might be for the Eglinton LRT

They're only doing core samples now??? Weird. They were doing them all summer in Ottawa for the DOTT project, and they aren't supposed to start construction until 2014, finishing in 2019. Can an engineer explain how the Eglinton LRT can open earlier, having done the core samples later?

They've been moving their way eastward and generally have an electronic message board beside Eglinton say it is work for the LRT. A few weeks ago they were near Bathurst. They then spent about a week with a truck on the Beltline @Chaplin (which disappeared the day after Ford commanded a halt to TC work). Seems to be correlated with planned stations.

I wonder how Bombardier would react to Ford asking to replace the Eglinton LRVs with the equivalent in Toronto Rockets? You know, assuming either A) there was the money to switch over the whole Eglinton Crosstown LRT to subway or B) Ford would only take the parts of Eglinton that are underground and in the Richview ROW and build that as subway.

Back