News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 380     0 

Eaton Centre Shooting

The war on drugs has many victims. Here's nine more. And that's not a typo. I include the shooter in that statistic. His criminal record for marijuana possession when he was younger probably was a huge factor, as it is in many young people, in pushing him into the world of gangs. And the gangs themselves are fueled by the drug trade.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...tre-shooting-suspect-arrested-police-say?bn=1Christopher Husbands, the second youngest of four siblings, followed his father to Toronto. Burchell Husbands came in 1993.
Let's deport this POS back to Guyana after his sentence. It's an insult to those who immigrate to Canada who build positive lives and contribute to society. Had I committed this crime I would certainly expect to be deported to England, even though I've been here since the 1970s and could argue Canada not Britain had raised me as a criminal.

Let's deport this POS back to Guyana after his sentence. It's an insult to those who immigrate to Canada who build positive lives and contribute to society. Had I committed this crime I would certainly expect to be deported to England, even though I've been here since the 1970s and could argue Canada not Britain had raised me as a criminal.

A question in my mind is the immigration status of the Guyanese killer and the deceased Somalian gang member from Edmonton.

Were they Canadian citizens? Both of them were under house arrest at the time. If they are not Canadian citizens instead of placing them under house arrest, as soon as they were released from prison they should have been put on the first plane back to their home country and none of this would have happened!

The alleged killer was one of the many arrested during the "summer of the gun". From what I have read many of those arrested at that time are now being released after serving their time. Some people believe that for this reason we will see an uptick in gun violence this summer.

Now is the time to be proactive!

Any criminal convicted of a serious crime - who does not have Canadian citizenship should be deported immediately upon release from prison. This should be standard for ALL criminals!

Of course this won't happen :mad: Instead the politicians will recommend more "outreach workers" for "youth at risk". The usual hug-a-thug programs that brought us to where we are today.

A young boy from Port Hope came very close to being killed. This could have been another Jane Creba situation. How many innocent kids have to be killed or maimed before people DEMAND action from our politicians?

Last edited:
The war on drugs. What a brilliant idea that's been. I have nothing else to say. Good night.

This is really sad but I do think it's pretty uncommon in Toronto and Canada as an overall. That said, I recall visiting my friend for a couple days who lives at the Opus @ Pantages building end of last year and there was a shooting right near Fran's Diner on the day I was leaving.

That shooting was by a police officer, which is kind of different.

Were they Canadian citizens? Both of them were under house arrest at the time. If they are not Canadian citizens instead of placing them under house arrest, as soon as they were released from prison they should have been put on the first plane back to their home country and none of this would have happened!

A bleeding heart liberal over here agrees with you.

The war on drugs. What a brilliant idea that's been. I have nothing else to say. Good night.

"The war on drugs", who coined that multi-billion dollar boondoggle? Legalize marijuana. Grow the strains on government approved & inspected farms in Canada, sell it through the LCBO and tax the hell out of it but keep it below what street value would be. Hundreds of millions of dollars would be brought in annually in tax revenues, jobs creation, safe weed (no toxins/mold etc.) no more ruined lives in jails or a criminal rap sheet and adults can finally enjoy a product that is far, far less harmful to their bodies, and society, than alcohol.

It was painful to hear the reporters on CP24 cover this shooting. They spoke as if the city was going to be taken over by gangsters.

A question in my mind is the immigration status of the Guyanese killer and the deceased Somalian gang member from Edmonton.

I agree completely. Weren't the Conservatives supposed to get tough on this sort of thing? If this had been a tax crime instead...

And of course, Georgie Thumbs jumps up and down and yells "look at me, listen to me! I've got something outrageous to say!!!"

Bring back the death penalty in Canada: Mammoliti
http://blogs.canoe.ca/goodgravy/general/bring-back-the-death-penalty-in-canada-mammoliti/Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti is calling for a return of the death penalty in Canada.

While the issue is a federal matter, rather than a municipal one, Mammoliti wants Canadians to start talking about reinstating capital punishment in the wake of the Eaton Centre shooting in Toronto and the bizarre “body parts” murder in Montreal allegedly committed by Luka Magnotta.

“We’ve had enough horrific stuff over the last week to last a lifetime in our minds,” Mammoliti told the Sun Monday.

Mammoliti admitted he’s just a city councillor but he’s hoping to spark the discussion in Canada.

“I think it is time for us to talk about how we deal with individuals who just don’t have any morals at all and just don’t care about the majority of society,” he said.

The Ward 7, York West councillor said he won’t ask city council to endorse a call for the feds to debate a return to capital punishment because he expects it would fail on the council floor.

Mammoliti wants the death penalty to apply to murderers, cop killers and pedophiles. He argues those committing many of these crimes don’t fear being sentenced to life in prison but would fear a death sentence.

“As a city, a province and nation, capital punishment should be something we are talking about,” Mammoliti said.

No stranger to igniting controversy, Mammoliti expects his capital punishment call will raise the ire of many.

“I expect every bleeding heart in Canada to be writing to me and telling me how awful I am for suggesting it,” he said.

But Mammoliti says he won’t back down.

“Maybe we get smart as a society and start dealing with this instead of being the bleeding hearts that we’ve been all these years and helped create these monsters by being the bleeding hearts that we are,” he said.

“I think it is time for us to talk about how we deal with individuals who just don’t have any morals at all and just don’t care about the majority of society,” he said.

Right on, let's start with amoral politicians who deliberately engages in incendiary grandstanding.

AoD

A young boy from Port Hope came very close to being killed. This could have been another Jane Creba situation. How many innocent kids have to be killed or maimed before people DEMAND action from our politicians?

These things happen in cities. Jane Creba died in 2005. So every 7 years, someone gets shot and killed at the Eaton Centre, and we're supposed to react like there is some sort of systematic problem? The stats show gun violence is decreasing.

What DOES worry me is the Americanisation of Toronto via the ever-growing income gap. Toronto is heading towards the typical American city model with clusters of very rich and very poor throughout.

Locking up and deporting low-income gangters might make us feel good about ourselves, but it's not effective policy.

I encourage you all to watch The Wire.

The war on drugs has many victims. Here's nine more. And that's not a typo. I include the shooter in that statistic. His criminal record for marijuana possession when he was younger probably was a huge factor, as it is in many young people, in pushing him into the world of gangs. And the gangs themselves are fueled by the drug trade.

I don't feel the shooter is a victim. Just because he has a criminal record doesn't mean he won't be able to find ANY work at all. There's also social workers working with those type of people I think. He will never make it big in the real world but he can survive working low income jobs which many people even without a criminal record is getting paid. However, after his name is published publicly, his children will be the victims of hatred from neighbours and classmates. They may end up being pushed into the crime world. Because of his thoughtless action, he injured many innocent people and ruined his children's' lives. Him being labelled "criminal who possessed marijuana" is a smaller issue than his children being labelled "the children of the gangster who shot innocent people in busy public places".

Last edited:
It was painful to hear the reporters on CP24 cover this shooting. They spoke as if the city was going to be taken over by gangsters.

CP24 is trash. Par for the course. If you remember the last 5.0 earthquake that happened 600km away, the talking heads that were on the street talking to the people were trying to drum up panic with their pathetic and pithy questions to random folk.

CP24 is trash. Par for the course. If you remember the last 5.0 earthquake that happened 600km away, the talking heads that were on the street talking to the people were trying to drum up panic with their pathetic and pithy questions to random folk.
Their coverage was brutal, but for a while they were the only ones there (thanks to their proximity). Traffic they can handle, news like this not so much.

CP24 is good for traffic, weather, sports, entertainment, lottery numbers, and various programs such as Hot Properties, Animal Housecalls, and such, nothing else. To me, I may not be a prude, but Sex Matters is one of the most pathetic CP24 shows (it is mostly people complaining that their dates did not go well). I believe that CP24 is made for those who want quick news, but do not read broadsheet newspapers. Worst of all, CP24 is full of advertising, even outside of commercials! In other words, CP24 is mainly sensationalist, as well as almost being a never-ending commercial.

CityNews Channel does a better job at news in my opinion (especially with the lack of Toronto-centric local 24-hour news channels). The Twitter feed kept having excessive punctuation (such as ten consecutive exclamation marks at times), "lol"s, typos, offensive initialisms, and txtspk (that is to be expected from Twitter) that it made me focus more on the channel itself. The advertising outside of commercials fortunately (or unfortunately) are mainly restricted to Rogers-owned entities (and often, a certain alcoholic beverage via a certain amphitheatre by Ontario Place, featured during the "Concerts" segment of the ticker (I am teetotal) unsurprisingly enough; CP24 is also very guilty of this, given that it also has its own "Concerts" ticker). I fear that CityNews Channel would stoop to the lows of CP24 as time passes. If I want national and international news, I would watch CBC News Network instead, but not Power and Politics with Evan Solomon or the Lang & O'Leary Exchange (I have basic cable). At least CBC News Network does not have advertising everywhere during their actual programming.

The news tickers in both CP24 and CityNews Channels sometimes have typos that even elementary school students can catch, such as it's vs. its.

This is why I prefer broadsheet newspapers (and in-depth news websites) over news channels for my news.

Last edited:

Back