News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Eaton Centre Shooting

An arrest has been made.
I was at the Indigo when the shooting happened. I must say that i am extremely happy with the way building management, security and the police treated the situation.

Another dumb comment I heard on the TTC this morning was that Africentric schools will definitely prevent these incidents from happening again.

I had wondered why police weren't releasing a description of the suspect, but it seems that it was intentional:

However, police said Sunday that they had images of the suspect, thanks to the many security cameras around the food court.

Saying they didn’t want to taint witnesses, investigators didn’t release the suspect’s description, a sign that they were confident of an imminent arrest.

Quick work by Toronto police. Also, on the international front, there are reports that Luka Rocco Magnotta has been arrested in Germany after being spotted previously in France. Good work by international law enforcement. (Edit: an employee at an Internet cafe in Berlin recognized Magnotta and flagged down the police officers to arrest him.)

Last edited:
The suspect turned him self in, not sure that qualifies as quick work on the polices part ? :p

The shooter has gang connections but this is not a gang related shooting according to Toronto Police.

This made me feel good after something so tragic:
Citytv interviewed a grandmother who took her young grand daugter to the vigil at Dundas Square. They apparently were heading to the Eaton Centre when they found out it was closed due to the shooting. This scared the girl, but the grandmother wanted to show her this is still a safe city and there is nothing to be scared of.

If the shooter was smart, which we know he is not, he'd simply blame it on bath salt. :p

Last edited:
This made me feel good after something so tragic:
Citytv interviewed a grandmother who took her young grand daugter to the vigil at Dundas Square. They apparently were heading to the Eaton Centre when they found out it was closed due to the shooting. This scared the girl, but the grandmother wanted to show her this is still a safe city and there is nothing to be scared of.

With age comes wisdom, that's a really inspiring story. I'd like that woman.

Eaton Centre shooting: Gangs ‘changed everything,’ says suspects father

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...tre-shooting-suspect-arrested-police-say?bn=1

Lesley Ciarula Taylor and Jennifer Pagliaro
Staff Reporters

The man arrested and charged in the Eaton Centre shooting was a young father wrapped up in gang violence, his father said.

Christopher Husbands, 23, has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder after he turned himself into police early Monday morning.

Toronto police said Monday that Husbands had been previously charged with an unrelated offence and under house arrest.

Police said the shooting was not gang-related, but there were personal factors involved, despite previous statements at least one of the victims had known gang associations.

“Our investigation continues to suggest this is a targeted shooting and not a random act of violence against the public,” Det. Sgt. Brian Borg, the lead homicide investigator, said at a news conference Monday.

“I do not believe this to be a gang-related shooting,” he added.

But Husbands, who was born in Guyana and immigrated to Toronto in 2000, was involved in gang activity, the Star has learned.

Burchell Husbands, the accused’s father, found out about his son’s involvement in the Eaton Centre shooting shortly after midnight Monday, he said. Burchell Husbands said he’s terrified his family will face retaliation from opposing gang members — though he couldn’t identify who that might be.

“Right now the whole family’s scared,” he said. “We don’t know who’s going to come here just now.”

Burchell Husbands said he’s often the last to know when his son gets in trouble. His son doesn’t live with him and hasn’t since he was 18 and moved out of the family home in Regent Park.

Christopher Husbands, the second youngest of four siblings, followed his father to Toronto. Burchell Husbands came in 1993.

At the time of the shooting Christopher Husbands was living alone in the King and Bathurst Sts. area, his father said.

Christopher has a 5-year-old daughter with an ex-girlfriend, his father said. He said he’s not sure if they know yet about his son’s arrest.

Burchell Husbands said as a child his son was quiet and happy and got along well with his siblings.

In Toronto, he went to Lord Dufferin Public School then high school in the area. That’s when things went downhill, Burchell Husbands said.

“When he reached a certain age ... he started problems,” he said.

At 15 or 16 years old, he started getting in fights at school and was known to police for possession of marijuana.

“He was in and out of trouble,” Burchell Husbands said. “I tried to beg him to keep out of trouble.”

He dropped out of high school and started running with gangs in Regent Park, Husbands said — though he was not sure which gang.

Two months ago, Christopher Husbands survived what his father believed was a gang attack by six people when he was stabbed more than 20 times.

Burchell Husbands said he last saw his son in May, when he came to visit for visit.

Burchell Husbands moved out of Regent Park two years ago and is married with three kids. Christopher’s mother is back in Guyana, Husbands said.

“We get along,” Husbands said of his relationship with his son. “He still comes around and visits.”

When asked what he’d want the public to know about his son, there was a long silence on the other end of the phone.

“He was a good guy coming up,” he said. “He was good.”

“Gang changed everything,” he said quietly.

I find it odd that he went with his lawyer to the police station to surrender, but did not have the "smarts" not to enter a venue where there are CCTV's everywhere and people with their own cameras to shoot a fellow gang member (not an member of some other gang, but his own group of followers). And where did he get his gun? He was supposed to be at home (house arrest). Why was he under house arrest? If it was because of a violet incident, then he should not be under house arrest.

The deceased was a Somalian gang member from Edmonton who had a long arrest record. Just like the killer he was supposed to be under house arrest in Edmonton!

Don't they use GPS tracking devices for people under house arrest in Canada? They use these devices in the States (Lindsay Lohan had to wear one).

This case shows just how lax our justice system is.

In view of the decedents past gang involvement how can police make the statement that they "don't think its gang related" ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...n-toronto-shooting-fort-mcmurray-cocaine.html

Back