News   Apr 25, 2024
 254     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 818     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 831     0 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

I think you're missing the point about 96 and especially 92. The question of whether it makes sense to continue these as seperate services or integrate as branches of Pulse hasn't really been asked. Even in a minimal scenario, Pulse assuming 92 and operating as a branch of hwy2 service, boosts frequency meaningfully on the core route

As for BRT on the 401, you're looking at something entirely different than the hwy2 corridor I purpose. Pulse is everything you described it as, but there is substantial demand for that cross regional long distance service that a rapid bus doesn't adequately serve, while the go 407 and 401 services do.

I don't think I've seen anyone seriously suggest urban type BRT there, but frequency, branding, better advertising of service patterns and some level of bus priority on the 401 itself would create a VERY attractive service at fairly low cost.

So in short, a 401 BRT would be as to Pulse as the 407 is to Viva on hwy 7. But the service patterns are such that service like the Zum 407 branch may make more sense for parts than duplicate GO/DRT operation.

Last edited:
Notice received via email. PDF also attached.

You are invited to attend Public Information Centre (PIC) #2 for the Durham-Scarborough Bus Rapid Transit project.

We are working to improve transit infrastructure along Highway 2 and Ellesmere Road connecting Scarborough to downtown Oshawa in Durham Region. This project builds on the Initial Business Case (completed 2018) and will include a Preliminary Design Business Case and follow the Transit Project Assessment Process (TPAP). As part of this process, the project team is currently working on pre-planning activities, which include consultation and completing technical studies.

We invite you to attend the upcoming public meeting to learn more about the project, as well as the technically preferred option for five constrained areas along the corridor:

· Ellesmere Road from Military Trail to Meadowvale Road

· Ellesmere Road from Meadowvale Road to Kingston Road

· Pickering Village from Elizabeth Street to Rotherglen Road

· Downtown Whitby from Frances Street to Garden Street

· Downtown Oshawa from Thornton Road to Simcoe Street

There are six opportunities to learn more about the project. The format will be a drop-in session where project team members will be available to answer questions and collect feedback. Presentations, followed by a question and answer period, will be held at select venues. More information can be found in the attached Notice.

The project team hosted the first round of events in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering in June 2019 and Scarborough in September 2019. Information from the first round of events is available on the project website: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/dsbrt

The Durham-Scarborough BRT Project Team

dsbrt@metrolinx.com

www.metrolinxengage.com/dsbrt

Attachments

• TTN_DSBRT_NoticeofPIC2_Final_2019-10-30.pdf
    242.2 KB · Views: 426
A BRT ROW connecting the downtowns of Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and Pickering to Scarborough Centre? Interesting - this project seems to be flying very much under anyone's radar.

^ Probably because it hasn't got the attention the 'four projects' have received in terms of funding/press conferences. I assume that when the TPAP is done and the final EPR is available the final price tag will be know and the media will cover it. The question then becomes to the Province/feds, will you fund it?

^ Probably because it hasn't got the attention the 'four projects' have received in terms of funding/press conferences. I assume that when the TPAP is done and the final EPR is available the final price tag will be know and the media will cover it. The question then becomes to the Province/feds, will you fund it?

Considering the line has positive impacts on 5 different Cities, Id say its a pretty safe with the $ to vote value quite high for politicians

Last edited:
^ Possibly. I haven't looked in detail at what's being proposed. Are any existing car lanes going to be removed to accommodate the BRT lanes/guideway? That could spook some politicians. I've also seen instances in other 905 municipalities where local Mayors/Councillors want the province to prioritize GO train service instead of on-street BRT/LRT. I wonder if folks from the Oshawa/Clarington portion of Durham Region are going to advocate the province spend on the Bowmanville Extension rather than this BRT project. Others who know more about Durham Region and its politics would probably have a better sense of the landscape.

^ Possibly. I haven't looked in detail at what's being proposed. Are any existing car lanes going to be removed to accommodate the BRT lanes/guideway? That could spook some politicians. I've also seen instances in other 905 municipalities where local Mayors/Councillors want the province to prioritize GO train service instead of on-street BRT/LRT. I wonder if folks from the Oshawa/Clarington portion of Durham Region are going to advocate the province spend on the Bowmanville Extension rather than this BRT project. Others who know more about Durham Region and its politics would probably have a better sense of the landscape.

They have already built large sections of bus only lanes in Pickering and Ajax for phase 1. The cycling lane design is unnecessarily dangerous but I expect phase 2 to be a similar overall curbside design on highway#2 thru to Oshawa and on Ellesmere in Scarborough.

I don't foresee any City of Toronto style political opposition, or any LRT lobbyists coming to interfere

25221-87818.png

Last edited:
Hi All,

Sorry for being off topic, but I am super confused on which route to take, if someone with knowledge can help, it will be much appreciated!

Is there any TTC subway station that connects to Durham Pulse 900 Bus or any easily accessible TTC Subway station on the Pulse route.

I work at yonge / Bloor and take oshawa Go to Union and TTC subway from there to go north to my work place. My reason to take Durham Pulse + TTC route is to save some money on my daily commute. Monthly Durham Region pass is 120 + TTC Monthly Pass is 140 = Total 260, where as if i am using GO it cost around 500 per month.

Thanks for your suggestion and help.

Hi All,

Sorry for being off topic, but I am super confused on which route to take, if someone with knowledge can help, it will be much appreciated!

Is there any TTC subway station that connects to Durham Pulse 900 Bus or any easily accessible TTC Subway station on the Pulse route.

I work at yonge / Bloor and take oshawa Go to Union and TTC subway from there to go north to my work place. My reason to take Durham Pulse + TTC route is to save some money on my daily commute. Monthly Durham Region pass is 120 + TTC Monthly Pass is 140 = Total 260, where as if i am using GO it cost around 500 per month.

From Durham : Pulse to UTSC

From UTSC: 905 Express to Kennedy station

Hi All,

No, the 900 Pulse route does not have a direct connection with a TTC subway station. You have 3 options here, 38 + Line 3/Line2, 95 + Line 1, or 905 + Line 2.

No, the 900 Pulse route does not have a direct connection with a TTC subway station. You have 3 options here, 38 + Line 3/Line2, 95 + Line 1, or 905 + Line 2.

My experience is the 905 + Line 2 was often 5-15 minutes faster then then going thru line 3.

Saying that, the future Durham-Scarborough BRT combined with the line 2 subway extension will provide a far more efficient route for this travel pattern and should be the better option when compared to the future EELRT to Kennedy station.

Last edited:
This would be a huge improvement to Oshawa's urban environment if it goes through. Hamilton should do the same.

1574977300124.png

Attachments

• 1574976823453.png
    1574976823453.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 404
Hamilton is slowly doing the same - they already have a lot less one way streets than a decade ago.

The LRT is going to change it even more with the drastic downsizing of King Street. Hamilton does need to do something about Main Street though.

I'm really interested to see how traffic operates in Hamilton post LRT, since the LRT seems to more or less retain inbound auto capacity but is completely neutering outbound King St. traffic flow.

it's more challenging to convert Hamilton though becuase of the design of the Main/King 403 interchange, which absolutely does not lend itself to two way operations.

Back