News   Apr 19, 2024
 33     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

The latest DRT system maps raises quite a few concerns for me. While I’ve always thought On-Demand service was a good way to improve transit in the 905, I feel that DRT is relying on it too heavily to make up for all the routes they’ve cut. So much has been cut in Pickering and Whitby. I also wonder how reliable On-Demand service will be for rush hour commuters who have a very strict daily schedule. Furthermore, how does this affect the resident of western Pickering who use Rouge Hill GO Station? It wouldn’t make sense to force riders who had one bus route to now take an On-Demand route to Highway 2, then the Pulse bus to Port Union, and then a TTC bus to Rouge Hill.

Interesting. I had to look up the rationale, which can be found here:

I’ll give DRT credit for trying to develop a grid based system and focus improvements on the main corridors. It’s a lot more integrated than it was just a few years ago. I also imagine Phases B & C will restore fixed routes as demand increases.

It’s really tough when so much of the regular demand is geared towards GO rail connections (which will not grow back anytime soon) which might be why Brampton, Mississauga, and the TTC haven’t cut so much.

More information released. This actually looks more promising than I thought. We’ll see how this goes. I might have to take DRT for work next week.

More information released. This actually looks more promising than I thought. We’ll see how this goes. I might have to take DRT for work next week.

The 900 and 901 Pulse routes have some really good frequencies - every 10 minutes weekdays until the evening, every 15 minutes on weekends on the core sections. The lowest level of service is every 30 minutes, during the later evenings.

Whelp, DRT has postponed implementation of urban On Demand service indefinitely due to unforeseen deployment issues.

Well I mean, technically, Pulse is supposed to be a BRT lite (like really lite).

Idk if it's even BRT lite. It's a 10-15 minute headway bus service in mixed traffic with conventional bus shelters and busses that have a cool pulse branding. Frequency goes down to every 30 minutes in the evening. So really, Pulse just denotes a fairly frequent bus route and not much else.

Also, anyone knows if there are going to be more routes with 10 ish minute headways in the near future, besides this one? Durham seems kinda behind on getting a 10 minute network started compared to the other regions :(

Idk if it's even BRT lite. It's a 10-15 minute headway bus service in mixed traffic with conventional bus shelters and busses that have a cool pulse branding. Frequency goes down to every 30 minutes in the evening. So really, Pulse just denotes a fairly frequent bus route and not much else.

Also, anyone knows if there are going to be more routes with 10 ish minute headways in the near future, besides this one? Durham seems kinda behind on getting a 10 minute network started compared to the other regions :(

Simcoe in Oshawa is suppose to see a 'Pulse' branded service.

Not sure what the timing is on that.

Pulse on #2 will be getting more upgrades, including some physical separation in places as part of a route connecting to Scarborough Centre.

The protection will be sporadic.

The route will be Ellesmere to #2, then eastward along the existing Pulse Corridor.

For what it’s worth, Pulse has bus-only lanes on some portions of its route. But it does have a long way to go before being true rapid transit.

DRT recently launched the 902 Pulse to Bowmanville, but service is every 30 mins. Unless I’m missing something, it really makes a mess of the Pulse brand.

There’s another planned service change on September 28. An announcement on what that entails will be made Monday.

For what it’s worth, Pulse has bus-only lanes on some portions of its route. But it does have a long way to go before being true rapid transit.

DRT recently launched the 902 Pulse to Bowmanville, but service is every 30 mins. Unless I’m missing something, it really makes a mess of the Pulse brand.

There’s another planned service change on September 28. An announcement on what that entails will be made Monday.

The September 28 changes probably reinstates the changes planned for the end of August: a move towards a grid system in the urbanized southwest, the temporary replacement of many routes with urban on demand service, and the expansion of rural on demand.

The September 28 changes probably reinstates the changes planned for the end of August: a move towards a grid system in the urbanized southwest, the temporary replacement of many routes with urban on demand service, and the expansion of rural on demand.
You are correct.

Back