News   Jul 12, 2024
 220     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 

Downtown Markham

With ChaTime in the Cineplex building, theatre goers have no reason to venture outdoor and walk a block north to "168" ( even if they know it's there ).

Sam ... any idea what's going to replace the Remington presentation building ?

No idea, if anything replaced it, it won't be for another 20-30 years? I'd imagine that's their main sales centre for all residential projects in the area, and there's still plenty of space to develop.

What's happening at the corner of birchmount and verclaire gate south? They've recently started flattening out the land and fenced in the area with trucks and trailers. Is this the next development starting?
We invite the ward's councillor to our building's annual meeting and he said something about more public space - that might be it? The plan is to have a trail, park space, tennis courts and an off leash dog park in the area. If not, that's probably the site office for the bridge they're building to connect Verclaire up to hwy 7

Last edited:
Raw Amore has closed, the unit is empty, all the fixtures are gone. Just opened next door is a flower shop. Around the other side is a convenience store and dry cleaner.

Here's my question ... Raw Amore just lasted a year, did they open too early ??? With the AVIVA insurance company set to move in this spring across the street with 1,500 employees, they would have had some business. IMO, I think they were counting on business from the carousel. The carousel doesn't attract anybody. It cost $ 2.00 for five turn arounds. The only time the carousel attracted business was the opening when it was free of charge.

I believe Cherry Berry closed as well. The rent is really expensive around the area with limited foot traffic.

I'm hoping that things pick up quicker... !

Interested in any documentation/release on whats going on Birchmont + Verdale Crossing. I hope its a public space, need more development.

Next phase of development is on the southeast corner of Verclaire Gate and Birchmount. An absolute ton of retail is included, along with some condos up top.

nest%202.jpg

nest%201.jpg

Next phase of development is on the southeast corner of Verclaire Gate and Birchmount. An absolute ton of retail is included, along with some condos up top.

Does anyone have further details/info? They're already beginning to build, and I am surprised there hasn't been any listings/pre-con sales out (that I know of).

The NEST development looks great! Really looking forward to having more retail in the area.
I recently noticed that the rendering of the downtown markham area has some new buildings appear.

York Condos is there, but so is the tower next to The Signature as well as what looks like a BMO office building next to the current AVIVA office building. The rooftop park looks incredible!!

I know on the old Ruland reports, this was supposed to be a parking structure. Anyone have any updates or confirmation of this?
08021-05.jpg

@derekwest, thank you for posting the rendering of downtown markham, as we can see now the (shape) rendering of the Next development north of the 2 Signature buildings conform to the grey shaded buildings on the downtown markham rendering.

Since it is grey shaded, I wonder, does that mean it won't be the immediate development to be built, not like York Condo of which already have activities on site.

Derek, when you point out "looks like a BMO building", I checked on the full size version of the photo, the logo really looks like BMO' logo. The interesting part is 3 letters of "OOO" in front of the Logo instead of BMO. You have your logic here. :)

Agreed, looking forward to more retail shops, would like to see different variety.

hehe and also what looks like a stadium on the east end of the site ? : )

GTA_Centre_DowntownMarkham.jpg
That was the proposed GTA Centre (NHL-ready Arena) and it is a history, it died on council table.

Attachments

• GTA_Centre_DowntownMarkham.jpg
    GTA_Centre_DowntownMarkham.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Oh I know, I just found it funny how they kept it a rather new rendering :)

The NEST development looks great! Really looking forward to having more retail in the area.
I recently noticed that the rendering of the downtown markham area has some new buildings appear.

York Condos is there, but so is the tower next to The Signature as well as what looks like a BMO office building next to the current AVIVA office building. The rooftop park looks incredible!!

I know on the old Ruland reports, this was supposed to be a parking structure. Anyone have any updates or confirmation of this?
08021-05.jpg

This looks really nice! It looks pretty up to date! Wish they'd move their butts and mass build like Uptown Markham!

Corner of Verdale Crossing & Birchmont has a big sign that says 8200 Birchmont Rd, however when you google that address, it puts that right in Uptown Markham (Times Group) buildings... kinda strange.

I believe from the looks of it that corner Verdale crossing and birchmount is just a swing space where they are storing construction material and supplies from the other construction site. There has to be advertising and a sales stage before they can proceed to build.
How ever in my opinion that corner is better suited as public space/park, there's nearly not enough in downtown Markham.

I believe from the looks of it that corner Verdale crossing and birchmount is just a swing space where they are storing construction material and supplies from the other construction site. There has to be advertising and a sales stage before they can proceed to build.
How ever in my opinion that corner is better suited as public space/park, there's nearly not enough in downtown Markham.

yeah I was thinking about that too, but strange how Uptown Markham, Times Group, construction site is in Downtown Markham, Remington lands... I guess they rented it out to them for the time being since they know they arent building the NEST development for a long time lol, damn. But there is plenty of land WEST of where they're building the rest of Uptown Markham, not sure why they would park stuff SOUTH of it.

Back