News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 550     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Downtown Markham

After reading @canarob's analysis, I agree that Remington would not want to see one demographic in Downtown Markham, hoping that there are big names retailers to kick off at the 2 Signature condo at the ground / upper level.

Just by seeing all the available vacant retail spaces still available between the ground floor at nexus condos as well as 169-179 Enterprise, do they really need to build more retail spaces?
Looks like they're having a difficult time finding tenants. Imo residential space is more of a hot commodity.
Does Remington not have any plans of building any more townhome complexs or even detached homes in downtown Markham?

Just by seeing all the available vacant retail spaces still available between the ground floor at nexus condos as well as 169-179 Enterprise, do they really need to build more retail spaces?
Looks like they're having a difficult time finding tenants. Imo residential space is more of a hot commodity.
Does Remington not have any plans of building any more townhome complexs or even detached homes in downtown Markham?

When we purchased at Benchmark, the master plan did not include other townhomes and detached within the area. Of course that can always change but if they wanted residential, building upwards is the way to go.

You need retail space to attract residential, especially condos. The convenience of going downstairs to do whatever you need without driving is nice. That's why a large grocery store within the area would be key.

When we purchased at Benchmark, the master plan did not include other townhomes and detached within the area. Of course that can always change but if they wanted residential, building upwards is the way to go.

You need retail space to attract residential, especially condos. The convenience of going downstairs to do whatever you need without driving is nice. That's why a large grocery store within the area would be key.

Absolutely right in the aspect of close proximity retail and condos go hand in hand. However imo, for this area of Markham, all the development can not just be condos, office towers and retail buildings. It will just be another concrete jungle. If that's the route Remington is going, it might be time to start incorporating some public green space since this is such a family and pet oriented community. Definitely would be nice to have another low rise development in the future.

Some updates for Signature Condos, purchasers of building K unit will start taking occupancy in June 26th. and then it moves on for the building J, the last few units of the penthouse levelwill take occupancy before middle of November, 2017. Also, Marriott Hotel will start operation towards the end of November (if I am not wrong with the date).
One more thing that I learnt was, the Pride of Canada carousel will eventually be relocated to the future park and condo will be built at the end.

Absolutely right in the aspect of close proximity retail and condos go hand in hand. However imo, for this area of Markham, all the development can not just be condos, office towers and retail buildings. It will just be another concrete jungle. If that's the route Remington is going, it might be time to start incorporating some public green space since this is such a family and pet oriented community. Definitely would be nice to have another low rise development in the future.

There is proposed green spaces within Downtown Markham. But this was proposed in 2006, I saw updated proposal on it but cant seem to find it now.

https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/M...vzdbMchfORErjw!!/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

One of the architects from Quadrangle (which is responsible for the master plan and all of the buildings excluding the Benchmark series) said there will be more townhouses built in an interview a couple of years ago.

The Rouge Valley lands (immediately to the North of the DTM site) have been designated a national park, and will be getting trails (see PDF on this page). In addition, there are also plans for a large "urban park", which you can see on the City of Markham website. There will be loads of green space. But it'll be a while before these things happen.

Last edited:
Some updates for Signature Condos, purchasers of building K unit will start taking occupancy in June 26th. and then it moves on for the building J, the last few units of the penthouse levelwill take occupancy before middle of November, 2017. Also, Marriott Hotel will start operation towards the end of November (if I am not wrong with the date).
One more thing that I learnt was, the Pride of Canada carousel will eventually be relocated to the future park and condo will be built at the end.

Wonder when building K2 is going up... I'm assuming this is a Phase 2?

Building K2 will be a high rise condo, you won't see any action until Buttonville Airport close down, the hight restriction is lifted.

Ah got it. I was wondering why the K2 footprint was so tiny compared to the rest of building K. Makes sense that it's just going upwards.

FYI, the signage address at Birchmount and Verdale Crossing has changed from 8200 to 8140. Makes much more sense heh.

That Chiu Chow resto is opening soon, APM Resto or something and some cosmetic office is open. MCPP or something similar. My memory is horrible remembering acronyms.

Does this new development have its presentation centre up yet? I'm assuming it's location will take over the old York condos presentation centre.

Back