News   Apr 25, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 906     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 927     0 

Downtown Markham

Oh, ok, that makes more sense. Yeah, the restaurants seem to be in the works at least.

Funny enough those two resturants are mainly found in the suburbs of American cities ;)
There are only a handful of urban chease cake factory locations.

Oh and Texas D Brazil isn't anything special (been there twice) ... in fact there are much better brazillian steak houses in Toronto.

IIRC Cheesecake Factory specifically stated they had no plans to expand to Canada. Not sure when they said that, or if things have changed since then, but I do recall that.

This thread should be closed. Downtown Markham is a marketing term for a project by a single developer, not a neighbourhood. The neighbourhood that it is part of is called Markham Centre.

This thread should be closed. Downtown Markham is a marketing term for a project by a single developer, not a neighbourhood. The neighbourhood that it is part of is called Markham Centre.

So rename it Markham Center ... unless it already exist.

I had asked earlier that the mods rename it to Markham Centre, but I don't think they noticed.

I also think it might make more sense to have one thread for the neighbouhood and overall development plans and another for the retail/restaurant components. Downtown Markham alone will have 2 million square feet, which is like two Markvilles, plus there's uptown square (Whole Foods, etc), South Unionville Square (just outside the boundaries of Markham Centre, but whatever), plus I'm sure there will be others nearby once this becomes the retail centre of Markham.

I had asked earlier that the mods rename it to Markham Centre, but I don't think they noticed.

I also think it might make more sense to have one thread for the neighbouhood and overall development plans and another for the retail/restaurant components. Downtown Markham alone will have 2 million square feet, which is like two Markvilles, plus there's uptown square (Whole Foods, etc), South Unionville Square (just outside the boundaries of Markham Centre, but whatever), plus I'm sure there will be others nearby once this becomes the retail centre of Markham.

1 thread is more then sufficient. If you haven't noticed by now, there's basically no interest in this thread. I think you and I have made the majority of the posts ... :)

Just sayin

I think in a couple years when more is built there may be more interest.

I am watching this intently, but really don't have that much to add. I am very excited about this, as they seem to be doing a half decent job of building an instant city..

Yeah, I would assume others are interested as well. I read a lot of threads that I don't comment on.

For now though, I guess we can leave this as one thread and as the retail develops, we can always add another in the retail section if this one starts to get too busy.

This presentation by Quadrangle from the arena consultations has some updated plans for Downtown Markham, including the straightening of Enterprise Boulevard: http://www.markham.ca/wps/wcm/conne...ERES&CACHEID=f2da12804bcb21f2837bf380de9e677b

dm1.jpg

dm2.jpg

dm3.jpg

dm4.jpg

dm5.jpg

Big names being mentioned:

Downtown Markham (@downtownmarkham)
2012-06-29 11:32 AM
#FF - @Nespresso @Burberry @UniqloUSA @Cheesecake @PFChangs @VictoriasSecret @HoltRenfrew @earlsrestaurant

FF => Follow Friday, and those names were mentioned by others originally not downtown Markham. This was during the "what retails would you like to see"

But who knows ! That's be pretty sad in my books though if Uniqlo located there first.

Secondly, HoltRenfrew ? I don't really see where they'd locate. They like malls.
The rest, sure why not, not that hard to imagine.

Oh btw:

"430,000 square feet of office space or under construction"

Ha ...

They are referring to 2 buildings, motorola ... for those don't motorola left most of the space and its 30% empty, has been for a while now. The other is the Honeywell building.

My point is one of these were build over 10 years ago the other around 5 ...

FF => Follow Friday, and those names were mentioned by others originally not downtown Markham. This was during the "what retails would you like to see"

But who knows ! That's be pretty sad in my books though if Uniqlo located there first.

Secondly, HoltRenfrew ? I don't really see where they'd locate. They like malls.
The rest, sure why not, not that hard to imagine.

I know that, but I had asked earlier when they mentioned the restaurants and they seemed to hint it was in the works. Also, if you look at the retailing plans, there are a number of large spaces for "major retailers" and they certainly aren't chasing Walmart or Target, so I don't think Holt's would be completely out of the question. But again, this is just speculation.

Also, I agree that the office space has been underperforming. I can see why some of the planned office space will now be retail.

I know that, but I had asked earlier when they mentioned the restaurants and they seemed to hint it was in the works. Also, if you look at the retailing plans, there are a number of large spaces for "major retailers" and they certainly aren't chasing Walmart or Target, so I don't think Holt's would be completely out of the question. But again, this is just speculation.

They said "maybe" : - )

Back