News   Apr 26, 2024
 49     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 510     0 

Downtown Markham

Looks all the retail at the Marriott/Signiture Condo on the south side is all leased now.

Wonder why they can’t lease the remaining retail spaces across the street at the origin and at the nexus as fast. I noticed Subway had shutdown, possibly due to not paying their rent? My guess is the landlord has to lower their rental rates.

Didnt see that many people @ Subway, they need to replace with a Burrito joint pleeeaasssseeeeee lol.

The units on Birchmount are "subprime" - parking is not easily accessible and they are out of the way.
The funny thing is ... they're not actually any more out of the way than the Rouge or Verdale buildings. It just seems that way because the South-only access via Birchmount is annoying.

The funny thing is ... they're not actually any more out of the way than the Rouge or Verdale buildings. It just seems that way because the South-only access via Birchmount is annoying.

True, but as someone who is in the area to see a movie or visit something in the main retail building, I'm unlikely to go to a business that's not directly on Enterprise (unless it's something very unique).

It would be great if more selection of take out style restaurants were to lease in the area. Also even a store that sells grocery items. Downtown Markham needs this type of retail as you still need to drive out or walk up to Highway 7 to get more selection.

Singage went up for Patisserie Fleur, right beside Cacao 70. Hope it's going to be as good as Duo or La Rocca!

https://patisseriefleur.com/ - dunno if this is the website since it says first store opening in Toronto

Odd that they have so many dessert/cafe places nearby.

Popped into this place today. High quality, desserts and baked goods, very much like Duo. Prices are comparable.

I'm happy to have a great option nearby!

I believe the next phase of buildings is supposed to get a grocer.

I wish it'll be a Metro but almost certainly not (there are no Metros in all of Southern York Region: the closest ones are in Bramalea City Centre, North York Centre, and Bridlewood Mall)

I believe another restaurant is in the process of being constructed in the unit north of Ruth’s Chris. Anyone know what that one is going to be?

I believe another restaurant is in the process of being constructed in the unit north of Ruth’s Chris. Anyone know what that one is going to be?
I think it might be either Nara Fine Thai Cuisine or Yang's Seafood. Both are listed as restaurants coming to this building on the downtown markham website. Hoping it's the Thai place!

This seems like the closest thread for the 8570-8630 Woodbine development. They basically built a plaza with around 10 fast food restaurants and a few other businesses, but nowhere near enough parking (maybe 100-120 spots). It's been a pretty bad mess every time I go. The parking lot is full and hard to get around because people are stopped waiting for a spot to open up, lots of people (including me) park across the street where there's extra parking available, and despite the parking lot being over capacity most of the restaurants aren't anywhere near capacity.

This should be a great example of why minimum parking is just as important as maximum parking. It's impossible to artificially restrict parking availability in a commercial setting and expect people to find some other way to get somewhere. The parking is probably going to keep being a mess, and some of the spots in the development will turn into a series of restaurants that show up and inevitably fail because they can't get enough customers.

They probably got zoning for restuarant / retail mix in terms of parking - then filled it with restaurants that cater to the lunch crowd from nearby office complexes, which only increases the problem even more as parking demand hits an extreme peak for the weekday lunch hours.

The eastern edge of Downtown Markham is separated from the GO station by 600m of unused scrub. Are there plans to eventually build to the station? Are there plans to extend the BRT to the station? Most of the development seems to be happening to the west.

Yeah, it's not really near Downtown Markham but I went there once for lunch. Once. I got lucky with parking but it seemed like a real dice roll.
Easy enough to be nerdy and check the zoning... It's zoned Mixed Commercial (40%) and this is amusing, from the rezoning request:

Does anyone know what's going on in front of the Motorola building along Enterprise at Warden?

Back