News   Jul 12, 2024
 418     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Downtown Markham

Ah, I wasn't aware the pavers were so hated by the riders. Well that explains it. Though I do wonder if the depressions were part of the problem, as they'd add big bumps to the ride. When the road was first paved it was nice and flat. But within a year there were a number of "dents", some of them quite sizeable.

Took the Go this morning and noticed that they've finally put a pedestrian walkway along Entreprise almost to Rivis. Ends right at the track overpass. Looks temporary though - asphalt instead of concrete.

Was passing through the area at around 8 PM last night and the Cineplex buildings had some sweet night-lighting, no pictures though.

The lights on the office components (right & left) and the white strips (centre) were both illuminated:

Cineplex Theatres by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Haven't seen this rendering on here before; just thought I'd share:

Lightbox-DTM-MasterPlan.jpg

From quadrangle.ca

01 December 2014:

Cineplex Theatres by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Love the new render! I wonder if the tallish building to the the east of the Signature buildings will be the next phase?

No pictures, but it looks like they've started installation of the carousel behind the sales centre.

The theatre and retail area is coming together. Much of the interior elements are done and it looks like a nice place to be from what I can see driving by.

I've been meaning to look into the shadowy skull figure that was painted on the side of the Cineplex building, as seen in one of Jimmy's recent photos. It turns out it's by a guy name Richard Hambleton, who was a contemporary of Keith Haring and Jean Michel Basquiat. For a time in the late 70s and early 80s, he was among the most famous of that generation's artists in New York.

He's done a lot of interesting stuff. The painting on the Cineplex building is derivative of his most famous work. It's named "Shadowman". Apparently this is the largest one in the world.

Summary:
Famous New York street artist who hasn't been seen much since 1985. Paints huge mural out of the blue in Downtown Markham -- his biggest ever. What the hell!?

I'll try to get a better shot of it this weekend, but in the meantime here's a repost of Jimmy's photo.

15749629999_c8532558b0_b.jpg

Attachments

• 15749629999_c8532558b0_b.jpg
    15749629999_c8532558b0_b.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:
Artist: Richard Hambleton

Quote from an interesting biography:

In his heyday, Richard Hambleton was the kingpin of this art scene, more famous and more highly valued than his now-venerated contemporaries Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat. Richard Hambleton ran with a very social circle of artists and they began to trade their work between themselves. According to the system worked out between the artists one work by Richard Hambleton was worth four works by Jean-Michel Basquiat. At one point, Richard Hambleton amassed the largest private collection of Jean-Michel Basquiat works in the world.

IMG_1657.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 542
I gotta admit, the art is completely out of place right now, and likely will be forever. Its very urbane art in a very corporate environment. Just doesn't match its environment at all.

Who cares? It's awesome!
That's like saying seeing graff on a train while waiting for it to pass somewhere north of Sudbury isn't a beautiful thing.
I mean, Markham just got a reason for me to swing by some day. Its first ever!

Much like the graffed train up in the bush being a great juxtaposition of urban and natural beauty, this is a juxtaposition of gritty art and corporate blandness. It's perfect. I take it as defacing the otherwise sterile block to make it into something that invites curiosity.....and the fact that it seems to be surrounded by black zinc cassette paneling which I personally work with just makes it even better. Best wall in Markham! :p

Last edited:

Back