News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Downtown Markham

Interesting piece of art. It makes me think more “New York” than “Markham.” But given that it’s on the side of the movie theatre complex, that gritty urban look is not entirely out of place. In the first oblique photo I thought maybe it was an image of Bane from the last Batman movie.

Couldn't find a thread on the Benchmark townhouses, but here's an update of the area (substantially complete).

14 February 2015:

The Benchmark by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

The Benchmark by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

And the Cineplex buildings:

Cineplex Theatres by Jimmy Wu, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think it'll be the best suburban downtown in the GTA ... with that said I'm 100% convinced it'll never be as busy as they depict in the renderings, but that's fine .. still a walkable place for those who chose to !

+1 I find them so homogeneous and cheap looking with all that stucco..

Having said that, the rest of Downtown Markham is coming along nicely.

Ya I agree that the townhouses do have a homogeneous look to them. But the ones I've been in look beautiful inside. The homes are 5 floors, and include a rooftop patio. The people who live there are very affluent (I personally know 2 doctors who live there). The value of the townhomes is close to $1 million. They have more than doubled in value since 2006.

Does the Imax sign mean the theatre will have an Imax? I thought it wasn't going to.

Yes. IMAX and VIP
I am assuming that because of the name I've seen so many place : Cineplex Cinemas Downtown Markham VIP & IMAX.

https://www.imax.com/theatres/t/cineplex-cinemas-downtown-markham-vip-imax/

But on the other hand, some websites such as Bonfield Construction only mention UltraAVX.

http://www.bondfield.com/portfolio/theatres/cpx-downtown-markham-cinema.php

So really... I don't know lol

Last edited:
The original press release didn't mention IMAX, but maybe they reconsidered? I thought it was odd that they would go to the trouble of building a new location without IMAX, so I'm glad it's going to be there at any rate. Can't wait for this to open!

Do keep in mind this is the 'fake' IMAX they've been adding to theaters across the country ... not the orignal ... by fake I mean its still a lot smaller than a full imax screen.

Those townhomes are god awful, indeed.

I'm not a fan either, but I like the midrise buildings in downtown Markham with the Art Deco-like setbacks and terracing. They don't try to recreate Art Deco but borrow certain ideas to enhance the massing. The buildings have a stronger and more attractive presence because of the massing. The colours are attractive as well--red and off white or black and white. They've essentially created a local vernacular for midrise buildings.

I was at the Cineplex First Markham last night and there was a sign saying that the theatre would close on April 2, and the new Cineplex Cinemas Markham & VIP (on Enterprise Blvd., in Downtown Markham) would open on April 3.

Back