News   Jul 12, 2024
 599     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 613     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 281     0 

Downtown Markham

I never trust these models. It's up to developers to build, and they're not likely to use this as a template. The city can zone an area, but that's about it.

I never trust these models. It's up to developers to build, and they're not likely to use this as a template. The city can zone an area, but that's about it.

It's the developer's model for Downtown Markham, as opposed to Markham Centre as a whole. Everything in that model is being developed by Remington. It has changed several times though, and I would agree that it's likely pretty fluid.

It's the developer's model for Downtown Markham, as opposed to Markham Centre as a whole. Everything in that model is being developed by Remington. It has changed several times though, and I would agree that it's likely pretty fluid.

My mistake; I didn't realize this is a developer's model. That's a remarkable plan for one developer.

Definitely fluid. Anything that hasn't been announced is imagineereing. There are of course quadrants zoned for specific (or mixed) use, but even those may be subject to some flux. I'm pretty sure I saw an interview within the last couple of years with one of the Remington guys in which it was suggested that some of the commercial zoning might switch to residential.

If this goes through (it's still just a proposal that requires provincial approval) and the city green-lights the plans for some of the other developments in Downtown Markham East (e.g., this one that you know about already), this area is going to have a LOT of people by 2020.

Yeah, I could definitely see a scenario where a number of projects east of the rail line are sold to investors and are under construction at the same time as the campus, assuming it goes forward. I could also see more density being added along Kennedy nearby.

Does anyone know if all the land around the YMCA is publicly owned? I assume it is. Given the campus is only starting with about 5 acres, any future expansion would probably have to go down there (not a bad thing). Burying the GO parking would also free up a ton of land in the future.

mc1.jpg

Attachments

• mc1.jpg
    mc1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 885
Still can't find a dedicated thread for the Cineplex buildings, so for the moment the photos will go here.

28 September 2014 (photodump):

Cineplex Theatres by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

I'm disappointed by the lack of use of pavers / interlocking brick in the sidewalk and VIA road in front of the Bijou and theatre, as shown in the artist concepts that were drawn up in the mid-2000s. It added to much more character and warmth compared to the cement route they've gone with.

The VIA road was originally done with pavers, but they pulled it all up a couple of years ago. There appeared to be problems with levelling, as there were a few depressions in the road within the first 18 months of it being used for bus activity. But that didn't stop another developer from using them on Markham Road north of Highway 7.

EDIT:
I should add that in MafaldaBoy's photos above of the Rouge Bijou you do see some brick patterns in the courtyard area with the benches. But for the most part that block is made up of poured concrete.

markham-ped-mall_2009_09_01.jpg

14Simcoe_Promenade.jpg

15Commercial_Properties_march8.jpg

16RougeBijou_R1_AD.jpg

Attachments

• markham-ped-mall_2009_09_01.jpg
    markham-ped-mall_2009_09_01.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 14Simcoe_Promenade.jpg
    14Simcoe_Promenade.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 785
  • 15Commercial_Properties_march8.jpg
    15Commercial_Properties_march8.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 722
  • 16RougeBijou_R1_AD.jpg
    16RougeBijou_R1_AD.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
I agree with you 100%. A nice interlock brick pattern would have been better. The interlock would have created a warmer atmosphere and added to the character of the area.

That's pretty normal trickery with renderings though, I think even in and around the ciniplex complex more interlocking pavers would have been nice.

Also the office developments to date are still very very suburban in nature ..

I get the point about normal trickery. But I'm pretty mystified as to why it was abandoned (well, not really: cost) given that they did start down that path, and then ripped it all up.

Here's an example posted by Canarob in Aug 2012. The pavers extended all the way to Birchmount.

c9fbd4a5.jpg

Attachments

• c9fbd4a5.jpg
    c9fbd4a5.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 709
Well actually, I believe the main reason they were replaced on the busway was due to the terrible ride quality. Once a bus would enter the section with interlocking, the ride turned noisy and incredibly bumpy and uncomfortable. The red asphalt that was eventually used also matched the rest of the rapidway.

No no, the busway paving was a terrible idea ... they sucked to ride on ... I'm talking about paving elsewhere in the development ..

Back