News   Jul 31, 2024
 160     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 207     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Discontinuous streets

It's in the same alignment as Rosemary Road, though, and why would that road suddenly stop halfway down the block south from Ardmore?

I thought that whoever owned the property didn't want the road going through, but looking at the property lines here, I'm not so sure.
http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp

I can't see that attachment for some reason. Could you try posting it again, or linking to it? Thanks.

http://maps.library.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/files.pl?idnum=1421

They need to connect the two parts of Lawrence Ave. East into a single road.

Also in Mississauga, the two parts of Stavebank Rd. should be reconnected, and perhaps renamed Mavis Rd.

They need to connect the two parts of Lawrence Ave. East into a single road.

Also in Mississauga, the two parts of Stavebank Rd. should be reconnected, and perhaps renamed Mavis Rd.

That would involve punching an arterial road through one of the richest areas in Toronto though (the Bridle Path). It would be very much worth it from a network perspective, but I think you'd see a lot of deep pocket NIMBY opposition to it.

Add another one to the list: Upper Middle Road between Burloak and Bronte. That would do a lot to help connect Oakville and Burlington, because there are no crossings of the ravine between Dundas St and the QEW. It's already a full arterial road between those two points, but it dwindles to a local road and then eventually nothing between those two. I suppose that any such bridge would be handled by Halton Region.

EDIT: They could also then have Tremaine extend south of Dundas, and potentially jog on Upper Middle to connect with Burloak, creating another vital N-S arterial in the area.

That would involve punching an arterial road through one of the richest areas in Toronto though (the Bridle Path). It would be very much worth it from a network perspective, but I think you'd see a lot of deep pocket NIMBY opposition to it.

Lawrence Ave East is one of the best corridors in Toronto for modern light rail, way better than any Transit City corridor. If they don't reconnect the two parts, I guess the LRT could just tunnel under, but that would be expensive.

Lawrence Ave East is one of the best corridors in Toronto for modern light rail, way better than any Transit City corridor. If they don't reconnect the two parts, I guess the LRT could just tunnel under, but that would be expensive.

That's what I was going to suggest. A road link would face huge opposition, but a rail only link may be possible. It would require about 2km worth of tunnelling, from just west of Bayview to just west of Leslie).

And it may actually be easier to go under the West Don than it would be to go over it, especially given the Bayview bridge and everything there.

Along the lines of probably will never happen but how about playing a game of "move the bottleneck" by extending the Allen to Bathurst via a tunnel through Cedarvale Park?

2ut52j5.jpg

google map

You'd then of course have to toll the whole thing, and even then it would probably never pay for itself, but wouldn't it be neat? Besides, the precedent for tolling municipal highways has to start with a network improvement somewhere.

Add another one to the list: Upper Middle Road between Burloak and Bronte. That would do a lot to help connect Oakville and Burlington, because there are no crossings of the ravine between Dundas St and the QEW. It's already a full arterial road between those two points, but it dwindles to a local road and then eventually nothing between those two. I suppose that any such bridge would be handled by Halton Region.

EDIT: They could also then have Tremaine extend south of Dundas, and potentially jog on Upper Middle to connect with Burloak, creating another vital N-S arterial in the area.

Wouldn't a connected Upper Middle run straight through a provincial park?

As for discontinuous in Toronto, Lansdowne comes to mind as a particularly odd case. Its three sections are so obviously not supposed to connect, one wonders if the guys in charge of naming them just got lazy.

BTW. Lower Middle Road was the original name of the country road that became the Queen Elizabeth Way.

Wouldn't a connected Upper Middle run straight through a provincial park?

As for discontinuous in Toronto, Lansdowne comes to mind as a particularly odd case. Its three sections are so obviously not supposed to connect, one wonders if the guys in charge of naming them just got lazy.

It would, but it would just be a bridge. There would be no development on that stretch of the road. Purely for connectivity purposes.

BTW. Lower Middle Road was the original name of the country road that became the Queen Elizabeth Way.

Yup. There's still a small section of it in existence, just east of the Ford plant where Royal Windsor (which superseded it) crosses the rail tracks.

And there's also that stranded section of Duplex 'way up in the depths of North York (unless it's been superceded by the rampant Beecrofting of street patterns)

Back