News   Sep 06, 2024
 393     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 990     6 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 481     0 

Discontinuous streets

York Mills and Wilson weren't connected at Yonge until the late 60s/early 70s - around the same time the Yonge subway was extended, so I guess they figured it was too late to change the name.

Though it wasn't too late when Eglinton was connected w/Richview Side Road (and beyond, w/Base Line in Peel Region) c1970. (Ironically, that corridor would have taken the name "Richview" had it been expressway'd as planned.)

Hey since we are on the topic, perhaps someone here can answer me this: the York County concession road numbering system seems to fall short and I have never understood why.

16th - Rutherford/Carville
15th - Langstaff/Highway 7
14th - Highway 7/Centre
13th - Steeles
12th - Finch
11th - Sheppard
10th - Wilson/York Mills
9th - Lawrence
8th - Eglinton
7th - St Clair
6th - Bloor

2km south of Bloor is Queen, so is that the 5th concession? If so, what are roads 4 through 1?

The only other thing I can think of is if College/Carlton is 4th, Queen was 3rd, King 2nd, and Front 1st. Dundas' history is comparable to a European boulevard, as it was actually plowed through at a later date, though smaller streets did exist in parts.

Hey since we are on the topic, perhaps someone here can answer me this: the York County concession road numbering system seems to fall short and I have never understood why.

16th - Rutherford/Carville
15th - Langstaff/Highway 7
14th - Highway 7/Centre
13th - Steeles
12th - Finch
11th - Sheppard
10th - Wilson/York Mills
9th - Lawrence
8th - Eglinton
7th - St Clair
6th - Bloor

2km south of Bloor is Queen, so is that the 5th concession? If so, what are roads 4 through 1?

The only other thing I can think of is if College/Carlton is 4th, Queen was 3rd, King 2nd, and Front 1st. Dundas' history is comparable to a European boulevard, as it was actually plowed through at a later date, though smaller streets did exist in parts.

I always wondered the same thing - at least about the numbering of the 'avenues' in York Region.

But concession numbering was a township thing, not a county thing. So there was no reason for the concession numbers to continue when you crossed the northern border of York township - Steeles Ave.

And in any case, in York township, the concessions were numbered east and west of Yonge Street, so the 1st Con E was between Yonge and Bayview, the 2nd Con E was between Bayview & Leslie... (It wasn't that simple- there were some concessions that were numbered 'from the bay')
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/maps/townshipmaps/yor-m-york-n.jpg

So the roads you have mentioned were sideroads, not concession roads. But the numbering still doesn't make sense.

Though it wasn't too late when Eglinton was connected w/Richview Side Road (and beyond, w/Base Line in Peel Region) c1970. (Ironically, that corridor would have taken the name "Richview" had it been expressway'd as planned.)

Which brings me to my question - why have the names of the concession roads in Toronto/York township (Jane/Keele/Dufferin/Bathurst/Bayview/Leslie/Woodbine) been continued into York Region/Vaughan/Markham/King/Whitchurch/the Gwillimburies?

Good question. I wondered the same earlier, but they are actually Markham concessions.

1st Concession: Yonge
2nd Con.: Bayview
3rd Con.: Leslie
4th Con.: Woodbine
5th Con.: Warden
6th Con.: Kennedy
7th Con.: McCowan
8th Con.: Markham Road/Highway 48
9th Con.: 9th Line
10th Con.: Ressor
11th Con.: 11th Line
12th Con.: York-Durham Line
13th Con.: Steeles
14th Con.: 14th Ave.
15th Con.: Highway 7
16th Con.: 16th Ave.
17th Con.: Major Mackenzie
18th Con.: Elgin Mills
19th Con.: 19th Ave.
20th Con.: Stouffville Road

Don't ask me why it shifts from north-south to east-west further along the list.

Toronto/York/East York/North York uses a different set of concessions:

1st Con.: Queen
2nd Con.: Bloor/Danforth
3rd Con.: St. Clair
4th Con.: Eglinton
5th Con.: Lawrence
6th Con.: Wilson/York Mills
7th Con.: Sheppard
8th Con.: Finch
9th Con.: Steeles

Last edited:
Good question. They are actually Markham concessions.

1st Concession: Yonge
2nd Con.: Bayview
3rd Con.: Leslie
4th Con.: Woodbine
5th Con.: Warden
6th Con.: Kennedy
7th Con.: McCowan
8th Con.: Markham Road/Highway 48
9th Con.: 9th Line
10th Con.: Reesor
11th Con.: 11th Line

12th Con.: York-Durham Line

Don't ask me why it shifts from north-south to east-west further along the list.

13th Con.: Steeles
14th Con.: 14th Ave.
15th Con.: Highway 7
16th Con.: 16th Ave.
17th Con.: Major Mackenzie
18th Con.: Elgin Mills
19th Con.: 19th Ave.
20th Con.: Stouffville Road

Because the east/west roads aren't concessions. And the York-Durham line is the eastern border of the 10th or 11th concession, depending on whether you're in north or south
Markham. Here's a concession map - the concession numbers are at the top.
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/maps/townshipmaps/yor-m-markham.jpg

Toronto uses a different set of concessions:

1st Con.: Queen
2nd Con.: Bloor/Danforth
3rd Con.: St. Clair
4th Con.: Eglinton
5th Con.: Lawrence
6th Con.: Wilson/York Mills
7th Con.: Sheppard
8th Con.: Finch
9th Con.: Steeles

Nope - the north/south roads are the concession roads (mostly) - Jane/Keele/Dufferin/Bathurst/Yonge/Bayview/Leslie/Woodbine

In Scarborough, the concession roads are the east/west roads - Passmore, Finch, Sheppard, Ellesmere, Lawrence, Eglinton, St Clair and Danforth(?)

Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
Wait a sec - are you saying that since the Concession Roads were numbered 1 to 12, they numbered the sideroads 13 to 20?
hmm...

I think Van Horne was renamed Dupont when they eliminated the jog at Ossington in 1951.

I'm not sure of the date but that's definitely where Van Horne was. The section of Dupont east of the Annette/Dundas intersection was Royce (could just as easily have been renamed Annette, I suppose) and the jog to the north around Emerson is because Royce and Van Horne weren't aligned either.

I always thought that was a Forest Hill thing, but now I'm not so sure. From the same 1933 map.

I see Shallmar (now also Aldburn) was like that too. I really wonder if the surveyors/planners of the day deflected criticism with 'Yeah, I know ... we'll hook those up when we get around to it'.

Looks like Cragston Rd ended up being an extension of Chaplin as well.

Where exactly (assuming it's not called Leslie anymore)?

Right here - the sign says Leslie, but on Google maps its marked as an extension of Vanderhoof.
I don't think there are any addresses on it.
https://www.google.ca/maps?q=Wickst...=v3ls09xzjBlLlqndMmqwAw&cbp=12,273.39,,1,1.96

A screen snip in case the sign goes...

Leslie.JPG

Attachments

• Leslie.JPG
    Leslie.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 838
I'm not sure of the date but that's definitely where Van Horne was. The section of Dupont east of the Annette/Dundas intersection was Royce (could just as easily have been renamed Annette, I suppose) and the jog to the north around Emerson is because Royce and Van Horne weren't aligned either.

There are photos on the Toronto Archives website (dated March 1951) that show the houses that were torn down to connect up Dupont and Van Horne at Ossington. That's where I got the date.

s0372_ss0033b_it0229.jpg

I thought the reason for the curved bit of Royce/Dupont was because it went around the Dominion Radiator factory. Here's a photo described '1334, 1336 Dufferin Street — Royce Avenue Extension"
https://www.googledrive.com/host/0BwadvTiFXSLcNmNMeEJDeW82Nlk/goad/1924/00062.jpg

s0372_ss0003_it1374.jpg

Which brings me to my question - why have the names of the concession roads in Toronto/York township (Jane/Keele/Dufferin/Bathurst/Bayview/Leslie/Woodbine) been continued into York Region/Vaughan/Markham/King/Whitchurch/the Gwillimburies?

It may depend on *when* this naming was done--esp. if it was post-WWII, it may have been a Toronto-deferring "gesture of continuity" for arteries hitherto w/o names other than their concession numbers. (And perhaps, too, as a bow to Yonge Street always having been "continuous".)

As an aside, perhaps mention can be made of modern-day cases of "induced discontinuity", i.e. the Blue Jays Way stretch of Peter St, or the Ted Rogers Way stretch of Jarvis...

I think that south part is a private drive that was never part of Rosemary Road.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/07/25/bronfmans_try_to_save_fence_around_mansion.html

It's in the same alignment as Rosemary Road, though, and why would that road suddenly stop halfway down the block south from Ardmore?

From "F.P. Lloyd's Toronto and suburbs [with provincial ridings as of 1933 redistribution act overprinted]" (created by the Toronto Progressive Conservative Association)
View attachment 16883

I can't see that attachment for some reason. Could you try posting it again, or linking to it? Thanks.

There are photos on the Toronto Archives website (dated March 1951) that show the houses that were torn down to connect up Dupont and Van Horne at Ossington. That's where I got the date.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to dispute the date. And thanks for posting the map showing the boiler works - that explains it.

Back