News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

Despite what Ford says The Streetcar in Toronto is here to stay.

Tell that to Rob Ford. And Dalton McGuinty.

Lets see it get passed council first.. that's IF Rob even bothers to push this forward; he'll look at it, realize that the money already spent would be a waste and go to nothing, and then leave it be. If its going to cost tax payers "an arm and a leg" as he says.. it won't happen.

Although, I'm all for more subways.

Looking at the potential candidates for the TTC chair, I do not see a candidate that is interested in pursuing a subway on Sheppard Ave. Most seem to be more interested in implementing Presto, and working closely with Metrolinx. Metrolinx wants to build Transit City, it's unlikely the next chair will try to change Metrolinx's mind.

Indeed. It sounds like Eglinton will be the focal point of debate here.

It's almost guaranteed that Sheppard will go as planned at this point.

The SRT->SLRT conversion/extension will similarly probably slip under the radar too.

The reality is that Ford doesn't care about these plans, he won't push for them, and the candidates for TTC chair have their priorities elsewhere (ie, Eglinton). If I was TTC chair and mayor going begging McGuinty the DRL would be what I'd be pushing to fund.

The statement of the size of Washington's Metro was not a dick measuring contest, rather it was used to illustrate that Washington a) has a well developed metro network for it's condition and b) still has significant plans to expand the metro in conjunction with LRT construction. Toronto's metro is insufficient for it's condition and it's 10 km or so of planned expansion to the network is peanuts. Meanwhile we are applauding and shouting encore at an LRT network plan.

The statement of the size of Washington's Metro was not a dick measuring contest, rather it was used to illustrate that Washington a) has a well developed metro network for it's condition and b) still has significant plans to expand the metro in conjunction with LRT construction. Toronto's metro is insufficient for it's condition and it's 10 km or so of planned expansion to the network is peanuts. Meanwhile we are applauding and shouting encore at an LRT network plan.

As I said before, Washington laid out a plan in the 60's and stuck with the plan until completion in 2001. Torontoi has yet to see a network plan to completion.

Last edited:
Indeed. It sounds like Eglinton will be the focal point of debate here.

Eglinton RT will be built in one form or another. Ford's idea to fix this corridor with express buses is a non-starter, given that express buses will be getting caught in traffic pretty much like regular buses.

Uncertain at this point are the technology choice (HRT vs LRT), implementation (LRT like in the current plan, or full grade separation between Jane and Don Mills), and the length of Phase I.

I don't expect much debate though. There will be a closed-room deal between Ford's team and McGuinty.

I don't think Fords realized that streetcars carry an extra 40-50 passengers than regular buses (and if you factor in shuttle streetcars, that number increases quit a bit more). He also probably doesn't realize buses use Biodiesel, and lots of it.

I wonder how often he rides a streetcar downtown...

Miiller tried to get the Sheppard extended, and the Feds, and Province pushed Spadina extension instead.
The RTES is not a bible, you know.
You say Miller didn't want Spadina while others say Miller was always fully on board. Which one is it?

I believe Miller's interest in Sheppard was always superficial, which explains why he suddenly lost interest in it when the Feds approached Miller right after the '06 municipal election about funding a Sheppard subway extension as a follow-up to Spadina. If Miller and Giambrone really wanted a subway, it would be signed, sealed, and delivered right now. But at least they can be happy they ramped up suburban anger and helped elect Rob Ford.

I don't think Fords realized that streetcars carry an extra 40-50 passengers than regular buses
The TTC seems not to realize this either, their numbers state that a Streetcar carries 26 more riders than a Bus in Peak periods and only 10 more in Off peak periods.

The TTC seems not to realize this either, their numbers state that a Streetcar carries 26 more riders than a Bus in Peak periods and only 10 more in Off peak periods.

Passengers During Peak Periods

SIYW_JulyAug_2010.jpg

Bus: 50

streetcar.jpg

Existing non-articulated Streetcar (CLRV): 74

Sheppart_East_LRT.jpg

Transit City Suburban Vehicles (Bombardier Flexity Outlook): 200 with 50 seated

subway-5505-19.jpg

T1 with 6 cars: 1,000 crush load

newtrain_frontview.jpg

Toronto Rocket (T35A08) : 8% more, i.e. 1,080

References: TTC and Transit Toronto

Last edited:
^ I thought the design load of a 6-car subway train is about 1000 people.

Then, the 315 people number might not be correct: too much for a single car, but way too small for the whole 6-car train.

Back