News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The problem is that this halves the stations possible throughput as now only 1 Kipling bound train can occupy the station at any given time. Secondly all it takes is 1 delayed train on the drop-off side and the Bloor-Danforth is crippled (we'll be turning back trains at Kennedy because SCC is unusable in this scenario). Having the crossover before SCC means that both platforms can have Kipling bound trains, and if one platform is out of use the other still remains. Functionally nothing changes as far as passenger movement is concerned but operational speed and efficiency is decreased and redundancy is reduced to zero.

I don't agree with that, side platforms with the crossover beyond the station allows for a greater number of trains per hour, an incoming train would just unload and go into the tail tracks, and then reverse direction into the loading platform, and take off when loaded.

Currently incoming trains are held up waiting for outgoing trains to go through the much longer crossover tracks needed with a centre platform station compared with a side platform station, leading to line ups at terminals.

According to the SSE EPR, Scarborough Centre Station will have crossovers immediately before (south of) AND after (north of) the station platforms.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-6_23-48-18.png
    upload_2018-9-6_23-48-18.png
    884.8 KB · Views: 196
As far as we know, the crosstown is nothing more than a St. Clair style LRT with better stop spacing east of Don Mills. There's nothing disputing that, and with the current set up, if the corridor does not include signal priority (not that BS downtown)
Supposedly, the signal priority is going to be better.

There will be curbs but there will be no fences.

Also, St. Clair has no "subway style" level boarding platforms. Its full yellow-edge platform raised flush to all doors, confirmed - not like St. Clair.

Also, it is a 90 meter consist (chain of vehicles) so it behaves much more like Calgary C-Train than St. Clair. Longer and wider platforms.

Also, the Crosstown grade is flatter and much better designed than St. Clair. The St. Clair still even has that minor bend caused by a construction error back then.

Also, acceleration is faster due to thicker pantograph wire (I saw it - much much thicker). You will be feeling subway style acceleration, the LRT version of Flexitys are capable of that G-force.

Concern certainly shared about watered-down traffic priority. Hope not.

Conspiracy theory: they are deliberately complicating the design as much as possible to drive the cost estimates higher, with an extravagant station, huge bus terminal, and tail tracks crossovers. If that's true, good for them.
In any case, the 1 stop extension will never happen, and this game is a colossal waste of time.

Conspiracy theory: they are deliberately complicating the design as much as possible to drive the cost estimates higher, with an extravagant station, huge bus terminal, and tail tracks crossovers. If that's true, good for them.
In any case, the 1 stop extension will never happen, and this game is a colossal waste of time.
and money

May have been the case? Who knows, but unfortunately for those involved (if true) Ford has already called the possible bluff out during the election stating clearly he expected it to cancelled by either the Liberals or NDP. Certainly of skinning of the stops was suspicious and absurd "planning" but even the architect behind that stop removal has refused to table another plan or revert back to the transfer LRT scheme in her bid for Mayor. I have my doubts that the Liberals intended to back track as I believe they would have supported any subway at this stage as its past time to move on.

Rob Ford (LRT) and Glen Murray (BDL) offered the most reasonable solutions and Anyhow its all up to Ford and how he intends to build the stops and give back a proper line to the residents here. We'll see

Conservatives hate wasting money, but who wastes the most money?

Maybe it takes the Conservatives over investing into the SSE now to compensate for the Liberals' disinterested lack of investment dollars into the suburb rapid transit expansion all these decades.

Maybe it takes the Conservatives over investing into the SSE now to compensate for the Liberals' disinterested lack of investment dollars into the suburb rapid transit expansion all these decades.

Other than the central tunnel of Ottawa LRT, what transit spending did McGuinty/Wynne do that wasn't for suburban rapid transit?

If $2B/year (average) is "disinterested lack of investment" then you might want to get prepared for an entire lifetime of disappointment because nobody plans on putting a higher %age of the budget into transit (inflation will increase the number but not the spending power).

There's a hell of a lot of suburban km^2 to cover and nobody is really looking at how to cover more ground in the same spending window. I'm on board with increasing taxes to increase spending; suburbs tend not to vote in favour of that kind of thing though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the Liberal disinterested considering GO RER will cost $15 Billion to do. The Libs seemed onboard to spend that money for the burbs, will the Cons being willing to do the same?

I wouldn't call the Liberal disinterested considering GO RER will cost $15 Billion to do. The Libs seemed onboard to spend that money for the burbs, will the Cons being willing to do the same?
Agreed that the Liberals did spend the money. The thing is they exaggerated their commitments by a factor of 2 so it looked like they were doing doing anything (i.e. they were well short of their promises). They also spent money at 50% efficiency because everything was measured through a political lens, instead of just providing the appropriate level of transit.

Agreed the Liberals were not exactly the most efficient spenders. The idea however that they did not invest in the suburbs is ludicrous however when you look at the TYSSE, the Eglinton Crosstown, the Finch West LRT, and the SSE for all the pain it is currently causing, and of course the aforementioned GO RER. The Liberals have invested far more money into suburban transit then both the Conservatives and NDP did in the 90's. The last thing we need is for the cons to suddenly get cold feet on a project like RER or any other project be it Urban or Suburban. It happened in the 80's after Davis stepped down and the Cons suddenly got amnesia about GO ALRT.

Other than the central tunnel of Ottawa LRT, what transit spending did McGuinty/Wynne do that wasn't for suburban rapid transit?

If $2B/year (average) is "disinterested lack of investment" then you might want to get prepared for an entire lifetime of disappointment because nobody plans on putting a higher %age of the budget into transit (inflation will increase the number but not the spending power).

There's a hell of a lot of suburban km^2 to cover and nobody is really looking at how to cover more ground in the same spending window. I'm on board with increasing taxes to increase spending; suburbs tend not to vote in favour of that kind of thing though.

ION in K/W
Crosstown
TYSSE

Back