News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Can't we just keep stations simple and functional, and use the money saved for two extra stops? Am I off topic?

You're going to need a lot of extra money for two more stops. Efficient, functional subway stations aren't really what you'll find in the suburbs as they aren't in efficiently built environments conducive to this form of transportation.

That aerial view provides a lot of perspective; the station is almost the entire length of the SCC lol.

The distance between Queen and King stations is just over 377m. That's 23m shorter than this monstrosity.

Reactions: rbt
When are they going to show how the tracks turn to meet up with the sheppard subway. I used to think that the sheppard GO station and Agincourt mall were too far apart for one station to adequately reach both but all they need to do is copy this at sheppard and Kennedy and we have a winning design. Then you can ride from stc to yonge and sheppard with no transfers. Kennedy, warden, Victoria Park, Don mills, Leslie, bayview, Yonge. Actually more importantly than scarborough people going west that stc will become a utopia and everyone downtown will want to commute to it.

You're going to need a lot of extra money for two more stops. Efficient, functional subway stations aren't really what you'll find in the suburbs as they aren't in efficiently built environments conducive to this form of transportation.

That aerial view provides a lot of perspective; the station is almost the entire length of the SCC lol.

The distance between Queen and King stations is just over 377m. That's 23m shorter than this monstrosity.

This is no more extravagant than Wilson or York Mills Stns which both involve long walkways from the subway platform to the bus bays, or Finch Stn with underground walkways which extend almost half way up Yonge St to Cummer!

This is no more extravagant than Wilson or York Mills Stns which both involve long walkways from the subway platform to the bus bays, or Finch Stn with underground walkways which extend almost half way up Yonge St to Cummer!

You haven't used either of these stations, have you?

Wilson and York Mills aren't 400m long.

IMG_9182.JPG

Very "extravagant!"

IMG_9182.JPG

Very "extravagant!"
We need nothing more than this. Subways are more about the tracks and trains, not extravagant stations.

IMG_9182.JPG

Very "extravagant!"

I never said they were 400 metres long, but certainly still quite an extensive walk from the subway platform. Have you ever tried catching the 29 bus on the upper platform of Wilson Stn bus terminal from the subway platforms?

The good thing I see about the SCC design though is that they are incorporating the preexisting bus terminal area into the plans. Sure it'd be better if the actual station were closer to the mall and civic center but it will be directly adjacent to all the new high-rise residential towers slated to go up at McCowan and Triton, so not too bad.

I never said they were 400 metres long, but certainly still quite an extensive walk from the subway platform. Have you ever tried catching the 29 bus on the upper platform of Wilson Stn bus terminal from the subway platforms?

The good thing I see about the SCC design though is that they are incorporating the preexisting bus terminal area into the plans. Sure it'd be better if the actual station were closer to the mall and civic center but it will be directly adjacent to all the new high-rise residential towers slated to go up at McCowan and Triton, so not too bad.

The York Mills bus bay is at the end of the tunnel. It's not a very long walk at all.

Is the catching the 29 at Wilson the same as the 35 at Jane? Definitely not. But it certainly doesn't compare to what it seems we can expect from the SSE.

It takes inefficient transfers to an entirely new level.

We need nothing more than this. Subways are more about the tracks and trains, not extravagant stations.

I concur but they are designing for the future. They want big stations to plan for future demand. You cannot build a massive station underground for thousands of people an hour and expect to funnel them through on small staircase.

Take Bloor-Yonge for example. There is only one small exit staircase to the fare mezzanine from the Yonge platforms. In Rush Hour, there is a bottleneck at the staircase.

If you build a smaller station underground, you will have problems with people filling the platforms and not leaving before the next train. Think of it like the bus platform at Lawrence Station. It is quite narrow and quite utilitarian however it was designed as a smaller platform at a time when demand was low. Now when demand is higher it has a hard time keeping up.

I haven’t done any research, but is there a Progress/Triton/Borough bus loop that travels throughout the STC/SCC area? If not, would one be necessary?

I predict that the TTC will tell GO to use street stops for their buses when phase 2 of construction starts with the tear down of the old Scarborough Centre Station. Then GO can move into the phase 2 bus terminal.

It is likely they will set up a temp terminal on Town Centre Court. Doing so would allow access to Brimely via Borough Drive.

I concur but they are designing for the future. They want big stations to plan for future demand. You cannot build a massive station underground for thousands of people an hour and expect to funnel them through on small staircase.

Take Bloor-Yonge for example. There is only one small exit staircase to the fare mezzanine from the Yonge platforms. In Rush Hour, there is a bottleneck at the staircase.

If you build a smaller station underground, you will have problems with people filling the platforms and not leaving before the next train. Think of it like the bus platform at Lawrence Station. It is quite narrow and quite utilitarian however it was designed as a smaller platform at a time when demand was low. Now when demand is higher it has a hard time keeping up.
I am good with bigger underground platforms and stations, where the real needs are. But the huge, artistic above ground structure that costs hundreds of millions...Is it really necessary? I mean it's a nicer to have when we have excessive cash floating, but that is obviously not the case.

I am good with bigger underground platforms and stations, where the real needs are. But the huge, artistic above ground structure that costs hundreds of millions...Is it really necessary? I mean it's a nicer to have when we have excessive cash floating, but that is obviously not the case.

You are missing my point... you need the big above ground exits otherwise those large stations cannot safely evacuate in an emergency. If you have a one small staircase leading to the surface you are screwed if all hell breaks loose.

Back