News   Jul 16, 2024
 695     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 606     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 748     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

For those transferring at STC today, the bus ride will be exactly same length. That's not everyone, but that's the largest group of riders.

Savings:
- 3 to 4 min due to the three stops the SLRT would have and the subway won't;
- Say, 3 to 6 min for walking from the SLRT platform to the subway platform, dependent on how fast they can walk;
- 3 to 5 min for not waiting for the train twice (first SLRT then subway, or vice versa).

So, total is 9 min at worst, 15 min at best.

I don't know why you're guesstimating when City Planning and TTC have already said that best case scenario (aka trips to/from STC) will have a maximum time savings of 8 minutes via the Scarborough Subway. 15 minutes is your wishful thinking that has no bearing on reality.

This lady is on fire.

"What is not talked about is those bus riders that get on at Midland, get on at Ellsemere, the swathes of people that get on at Lawrence, why are we not talking about those people that are stuck on the bus and are now going to be re-routed to Scarborough Town Centre"

I don't know why you're guesstimating when City Planning and TTC have already said that best case scenario (aka trips to/from STC) will have a maximum time savings of 8 minutes via the Scarborough Subway. 15 minutes is your wishful thinking that has no bearing on reality.

I have seen on more than one occassion that city staff reports present mathematiclly correct numbers that are taken out of context and therefore are misleading. Case in point, the recent "report" that the ridership at STC will drop once the subway is built; which is physically impossible. Hopefully you remember that, as it turned out, they counted "daily riders" instead of daily rides. Daily rides is the commonly used metrics in transit.

Therefore, I prefer to believe my own guesstimates more than those numbers, unless someone can break them down and show in details why my guesstimates are wrong.

Your own relation to reality is not as solid as you might think.

Hate is too much in this case. But I can guarantee that I will never buy The Star, never subscribe for it, and most likely will avoid reading them online.
If you want a paper that won't criticize the SSE, you're left with the Sun, I think. I don't know if the Post even has a transit reporter now but Oliver Moore has written stuff for the Globe similar to Ben Spurr and Jennifer Pagliaro for the Star

Gil Penalosa, former mayor of Bogota in charge during their BRT transformation is speaking.

He is calling out GDB large time.

"Let's talk apples to apples. We have 3.5 billion dollars. We can have a 1 stop subway, or a 20-stop LRT that covers every part of Scarborough. This subway is going to cost each man, woman and child in Toronto $1,300 dollars. My question is how can we justify that we don't revisit the subway. Council agreed to $2 billion subway, now with 5% of the EA done it is $3.5 billion. Why doesn't council revisit this decision and discuss what can be done with $3.5 billion dollars."

If you want a paper that won't criticize the SSE, you're left with the Sun, I think. I don't know if the Post even has a transit reporter now but Oliver Moore has written stuff for the Globe similar to Ben Spurr and Jennifer Pagliaro for the Star

Or, Globe and Mail. Or, multiple online media.

I don't necessarily want a paper that is supportive of SSE; just the one that is not so maliciously biased.

Like DRL?

AoD

? Not sure why DRL is relevant here.

My beef with The Star is that they keep banging against SSE and never made so much as a peep against the Vaughan extension.

DRL, on the other hand, will have much higher ridership than either Vaughan extension or SSE; why should anyone object to it?

I guess Rainforest is one of those "real people", therefore he knows better. Who cares about the actual findings from city staff and the new Ryerson study when you can listen to him.

Gil Penalosa, former mayor of Bogota in charge during their BRT transformation is speaking.

He is calling out GDB large time.

"Let's talk apples to apples. We have 3.5 billion dollars. We can have a 1 stop subway, or a 20-stop LRT that covers every part of Scarborough. This subway is going to cost each man, woman and child in Toronto $1,300 dollars. My question is how can we justify that we don't revisit the subway. Council agreed to $2 billion subway, now with 5% of the EA done it is $3.5 billion. Why doesn't council revisit this decision and discuss what can be done with $3.5 billion dollars."

We should realize that the municipal funding will be voted down in that case, and there is no guarantee that the federal money will not disappear. Most likely we would end up with SLRT paid for by the province, and nothing else.

To be fair, the federal funding envelope <might> be applied to another project.

I guess Rainforest is one of those "real people", therefore he knows better. Who cares about the actual findings from city staff and the new Ryerson study when you can listen to him.

I explained why I take the city staff data with a grain of salt; please check a few posts above.

If you can explain, in details, why my number are incorrect, then we can have a discussion. And, I will be ready to admit that I was wrong if you provide convincing arguments.

On the other hand, if you prefer to take the city staff data as a gospel, you have a right to do so. But you cannot force me to do the same.

Back