News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 604     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Even though the panel is being hosted by a pro LRT group, their intention is to educate residents about both of the transit options before them. Instead of just rallying the crowd toward a preferred plan, they will present the facts and answer questions from residents. You will hear from both sides of the debate: councillor Ainslie (LRT supporter), Glen DB (subway champion) and two York University professors.

Live stream has started:

Glen has been talking for a minute and is already lying,

Says he wants to make "fact based decisions"

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.11.06 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.11.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.11.06 PM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 363
Now it's time for questions from residents. This will be fun. The first question challenges GDB on his past support for LRT. "What's changed?"

York Region paid for this portion, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

It paid 1/3 of of the cost os construction within York. The rest is provincial and federal money that could be used for a project with higher ridership.

Plus, TTC will have to pay all operating expenses of the subway in Vaughan.

Oh my god, listening to De Baeremaeker right now is horrendous.

The audience member asked a brilliant question about operating costs bankrupting the TTC. GDB responds by saying "what about High Park, what about Rosedale?" "STC has 60,000 riders".

Audience member shouts back "What about riders per kilometre!"

This rally is one of the rare time many of the "residents" will ever visit Scarborough. Atleast there wont be any traffic on the drive home

As stated by City Staff, the maximum time savings on the SSE will be 8 minutes. 10 to 15 mins in savings is nonsense. And of course, the 8 minutes in travel time savings does not include the longer bus rides Scarborough residents will have to the station, which will almost completely negate any travel time savings the elimination of the transfer offered.

For those transferring at STC today, the bus ride will be exactly same length. That's not everyone, but that's the largest group of riders.

Savings:
- 3 to 4 min due to the three stops the SLRT would have and the subway won't;
- Say, 3 to 6 min for walking from the SLRT platform to the subway platform, dependent on how fast they can walk;
- 3 to 5 min for not waiting for the train twice (first SLRT then subway, or vice versa).

So, total is 9 min at worst, 15 min at best.

Virtually everyone who does not support the $3.4bn subway stop and is vocal about it supports the Crosstown East and an upgraded Kennedy-STC service. The Star is calling out faith-based policy and politically-based evidence. But sure, hate.

Hate is too much in this case. But I can guarantee that I will never buy The Star, never subscribe for it, and most likely will avoid reading them online.

Another awesome statements and questions from the audience.

"All 4 panelist members, including GDB, seem to be making arguments in favour for the LRT. If you removed the intermediate stops you increase the ridership of STC. If you eliminated STC stop, you increase the ridership of Kennedy Station."

"If you look at the plan for the bus bay at STC, is anyone worried that there will be [a lot of] (I forgot the number) of buses heading into STC? Do we want that many buses entering our Town Centre? Do we want to frontload all those passengers at the station rather than spreading them out? Do the people in those buses want to be commuting by bus longer to reach STC?"

Unfortunately the woman after him was the personification of Subways Subways Subways.

Back