News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 851     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The issue with GO mopping up lots of 416ers is that it saturates their inner corridors (and Union capacity). If that means sacrificing adding capacity in the 905 which could be demonstrated to be up for grabs, the 905er MPPs will not be silent about it. If 416ers aren't paying fares which 905ers regard as being a fair share of GO revenue vs cost/overheads then that's an issue too. If a TTC fare is $3 and a GO-TTC saves you a bunch of time by operating an express route, I don't understand the resistance to being willing to pay more. It's like Torontonians (or at least "rider advocates") can understand $3 for a stopping service and $30 for a door to door taxi but nothing in between.

For me the annoying part about the downtown express was the difference in premium between cash/token fare (double) and the Metropass sticker (about 1/3, assuming Express is your primary use of TTC). I think for a lot of people this lessened the incentive to try out 140 series routes which still run in mixed traffic and still make some stops. A token plus a loonie or even a toonie might have been a bit more attractive.

There is tons of capacity left in all corridors, and even more can be made available with better signaling technologies and adding trackage.

While they might complain still, as people do, there is tons of capacity left in the corridors.

What people don't realize is that having express electric trains downtown means that the Bi-Level Diesels will bypass the inner stations and head straight to Union.

The grade separation will also mean those trains can go much faster, with no stops at the downtown stations they currently do.

This will benefit everyone.

Yes? And?

That project is as old as the Big Move document. It has no external dependencies (Presto is NOT a dependency), just politics to solve. Thus far, they've created the Metropass sticker for $60 for a few select stations.

Metrolinx, thus far, isn't willing to fund time-based fares on TTC (possibly cheaper than trying to make Presto enforce official TTC rules) let alone anything more substantial.

Simply put, the type of fare integration we want is still a huge political football and I'm not sure how many majorities Wynne can win.

Last edited:
Since the Sheppard LRT has been effectively cancelled, the SSE can head even further north west from STC to Agincourt, which would make it convenient for those travelling from the north to get to STC without having to take a bus or head as far south to Kennedy just to head back north east again on the SSE just to get there.

I'd say that the chances are slim to none. If the Liberals did pull Toronto funding, their government likely would not survive the fallout. Just about the only benefit I can see, would be for them to go to rural Ontario to say, "see how much we dislike Toronto!"

If the Liberals did pull funding, the PCs and NDP would likely commit to maintaining the funding for this and other projects and the Liberals would likely lose seats to both parties in the next election.

It would be a huge political risk. LPO would be better off sheepishly following the will of Council, as they've always done. That way any political fallout would be limited to Council.
Ya because if they cancel scarborough subway, that will be the downfall of the Liberals!. Gas scandals, e-health, email deletions did not bring the Liberals down

Ya because if they cancel scarborough subway, that will be the downfall of the Liberals!. Gas scandals, e-health, email deletions did not bring the Liberals down

I didn't say it would be the downfall of the Liberals. I said it could happen. An asteroid could also smash into earth tomorrow.

UrbanToronto offers some weekend reading for you on the front page: two takes on Scarborough's rapid transit future.

Andrew Johnson (gweed123) offers us a SmartTrack Spur that could save time and money here, and

Sean Marshall (ShonTron) offers us a rethink of the LRT plan that could save time and money here.

Back