News   Jul 17, 2024
 137     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 740     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 617     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

That's not happening. We either go back to the SRT at that point or the Sheppard East subway gets built. The entire point of the Sheppard LRT was it is supposed to serve all of Scarborough, not just west of McCowan.

I agree that the LRT needs to serve Eastern Scarborough. But that does not preclude a diversion to SRT. I can think of several route schemes with some or all branches connecting to SRT, and the eastern branch still reaching Meadowvale and the Zoo.

Just a note, but the budget for the project is still $3.05 billion and that hasn't changed. It may change once the city does the EA, but until then there is no way to know.

Moreover, that price seems completely reasonable, at $401 million per km. Considering spadina was $330 and Eglinton is $350 million, it seems about right. There are only 3 stations as well which means the TTC is probably expecting some fancy stations at STC and Sheppard. (Probably 2 underground bus terminals and an underground LRT link)

Last edited:
That's a short distance. And if we just focus on finch west, there is no reason for the LRT to go undergound at Keele.

Taking Finch LRT underground at Keele is optional; there is enough space on surface for an LRT station. Maybe, they should have planned a surface station (save on portals), but with stairs / elevators connecting the platform directly to the subway mezzanine, so that the riders transferring to the subway do not have to cross any traffic.

I should have said elevated. We could have elevated the entire thing.

I think, elevated would work in Golden Mile. But in the central part of Eglinton, elevated would be problematic (houses too close to the street and the street is too narrow); and perhaps not that much cheaper than building the tunnel.

Moreover, that price seems completely reasonable, at $401 million per km. Considering spadina was $330 and Eglinton is $350 million, it seems about right. There are only 3 stations as well which means the TTC is probably expecting some fancy stations at STC and Sheppard. (Probably 2 underground bus terminals and an underground LRT link)

$401/km sounds reasonable for subway construction, but TTC has done their research and they say $3.6 Billion.

I really don't understand why the cost/km is so high for this thing. Even the lowest estimates last summer had it significantly more expensive than Spadina.

Miller is why Ford is mayor.
That makes no sense. Polling during the last election showed that Miller would have beaten Ford.

A great part of Ford's victory was that both Smitherman and Pantalone were really lousy choices. I suspect that either Tory and Chow would have beaten Ford back in 2010.

And to be honest, why Finch goes below ground is beyond me. Atleast to Yonge there is enough room on the road for an LRT.
It's only for the convenience of the transfer to the subway. If Phase 2 were proceed, there'd be a second portal east of Keele.

We could have just built all of eglinton above ground. Chicago is doing that.
What is Chicago building? I doubt that people would have gone for surface LRT on Eglinton - which would look a lot more like streetcars on St. Clair than LRT on Eglinton east of Brentcliffe.

That makes no sense. Polling during the last election showed that Miller would have beaten Ford.

A great part of Ford's victory was that both Smitherman and Pantalone were really lousy choices. I suspect that either Tory and Chow would have beaten Ford back in 2010.

Right. So why didn't he run again? That's what I'm saying. He could have prevented Ford from being mayor and chose not to.

It's only for the convenience of the transfer to the subway. If Phase 2 were proceed, there'd be a second portal east of Keele.
You can take the stairs below ground on Finch West to the subway right? The transfer could have been one like at St Clair Station.

What is Chicago building? I doubt that people would have gone for surface LRT on Eglinton - which would look a lot more like streetcars on St. Clair than LRT on Eglinton east of Brentcliffe.

They are extending the Red Line above ground from the Dan Ryan to West Pullman, 95th to 130th streets on the south side. Cost only 1.5 billion.

Taking Finch LRT underground at Keele is optional; there is enough space on surface for an LRT station. Maybe, they should have planned a surface station (save on portals), but with stairs / elevators connecting the platform directly to the subway mezzanine, so that the riders transferring to the subway do not have to cross any traffic.
A surface transfer would drop the price in fairness.

I think, elevated would work in Golden Mile. But in the central part of Eglinton, elevated would be problematic (houses too close to the street and the street is too narrow); and perhaps not that much cheaper than building the tunnel.

Maybe the central portion but the Golden Mile, whether it was LRT, SRT, Subway should have been above ground.

How do you feel about what happens east Kennedy in the future? Crosstown extension, Malvern LRT, buses?

Right. So why didn't he run again? That's what I'm saying. He could have prevented Ford from being mayor and chose not to.
It's John Tory's fate to always be in the right place at the wrong time.

You can take the stairs below ground on Finch West to the subway right? The transfer could have been one like at St Clair Station.
Could have been ... but seems we want underground. I'd have thought that until someone approves Phase 2, that they wouldn't need anything underground; simply a platform in the middle of Finch, just west of Keele, with stairs. However, given they'd also need an elevator, and a that having the entire LRV emptying out on the surface, that it might make more sense to stick it underground.

They are extending the Red Line above ground from the Dan Ryan to West Pullman, 95th to 130th streets on the south side. Cost only 1.5 billion.
That's elevated though, not surface rail. It's also not happening - they are still looking at options, including BRT - http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/planning/Red_Line_Extension_One_Sheet__4_10_14.pdf Most of the alignments follow an existing rail track. How is this comparable to going down the centre of Eglinton?

Last edited:
$401/km sounds reasonable for subway construction, but TTC has done their research and they say $3.6 Billion.

I really don't understand why the cost/km is so high for this thing. Even the lowest estimates last summer had it significantly more expensive than Spadina.

but its not $3.6, its $3.05..

It's John Tory's fate to always be in the right place at the wrong time.
Ford needed to drop out yesterday imo.

Could have been ... but seems we want underground. I'd have thought that until someone approves Phase 2, that they wouldn't need anything underground; simply a platform in the middle of Finch, just west of Keele, with stairs. However, given they'd also need an elevator, and a that having the entire LRV emptying out on the surface, that it might make more sense to stick it underground.

That's what I was thinking. But St Clair station and Dundas and St Patrick seem to work just fine with their surface transfers.
That's elevated though, not surface rail. It's also not happening - they are still looking at options, including BRT - http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/planning/Red_Line_Extension_One_Sheet__4_10_14.pdf Most of the alignments follow an existing rail track. How is this comparable to going down the centre of Eglinton?

Again I should have said Eglinton. We should have elevated all of eglinton, that's what I was trying to say. As for the Chi, as far as I had heard they had already removed some properties along Halsted alternative. But I guess we'll see.

oh, yes. the financials behind it is confusing because the feds and Toronto money is escalated but the provinces money is 2010 dollars.

Most of the time project costs are not done in "escalated" dollars, but rather fixed year. The LRT projects are all in 2010 dollars, for example. This will create price confusion, even though a price hasn't really changed.

interestingly, once you discount the SRT portion of the project, the price of it is really $2.3 billion 2010 dollars, just $800 million more than the LRT.

that works out to $302 million per km, which I also find reasonable, given the 2010 dollar amount and the rather lack of stations on the line.

Last edited:

Back