News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

If you want to think it black and white, I suppose that's true. Yes, the DRL is desperately needed, and yes, a lack of DRL was a major failing of Transit City. But Transit City's goal was largely to bring transit to underserved areas, and it did that far better than the current (lack of) plan. So in that sense it is inarguably better than the present situation. Not perfect, just better.

Giving everyone in Toronto a free $100 bicycle, at a cost of $300M would have been a much less expensive way of providing some type of transit to everyone in Toronto. Transit City only brought transit within 2 or 4 km of everyone - but this plan would bring it to every home.

So...Glen Murray wants EAs done on both proposed subway routes.....this debate is not over...just deferred until the EAs can be done.

Should the Scarborough RT become an elevated park?

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/10/should_the_scarborough_rt_become_an_elevated_park/

When the Scarborough RT closes down in 2023, as currently envisioned by city council, the former track bed should become an elevated/linear park in the mould of New York's High Line, if the price is right, says councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker.

20131009-SRT-Track-Alt.jpg

Metrolinx said the same thing in a letter before the vote so it's not really a surprise.

I missed that....but, no matter if it is a surprise or not, it is a waste. Decide on a route and a technology and do one EA.....how much will each EA cost?

that is the entire point of the EA, they will determine which route is best. it is a single EA, but the EA will determine which route is better.

One EA looking at alternative routes I imagine as per the usual EA process. I'm not all that familiar with EA's though I know there's some sort of expedited EA process that transit that I guess this won't follow.

that is the entire point of the EA, they will determine which route is best. it is a single EA, but the EA will determine which route is better.

So it is not ML who decide routes...not the province....not the city....it is the EAs?

Murray clearly says there are two EAs

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2013/10/10/province-onside-councils-scarborough-subway-decision/ said:
Environmental assessments take roughly two years to complete, and Murray wants one for each of the proposed subway lines. Moreover, the transportation minister expects the final product to be based on certain criteria.

I've found that EA's pretty much just confirm what was already desired. If I had to guess the province will work hard on trying to prove the numbers work better for the SRT alignment so that it would be hard to argue for the McCowan route. It could very well be that the SRT route is superior but with the way this subway has been highly politicized it'd be so hard to tell if the result is with or without bias.

Why does the province want the SRT alignment so badly anyways? It seems as if a subway is a subway regardless of where it goes.

Maybe they will finally realize that Eglinton elevated and ICTS + SRT ICTS costs about the same as BD extension + Eglinton not grade separated.

Should the Scarborough RT become an elevated park?

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/10/should_the_scarborough_rt_become_an_elevated_park/

When the Scarborough RT closes down in 2023, as currently envisioned by city council, the former track bed should become an elevated/linear park in the mould of New York's High Line, if the price is right, says councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker.

Okay, I don't like to throw out declarative sentences like "the worst", or "the stupidest" but, if this came to fruition, this would be the stupidest, most shortsighted urban planning mistake since the Spadina expressway.

Whatever you think about the RT, it is a fully grade-separated functional rapid transit line, complete with tracks, stations, a built-in transfer to the subway system and a maintenance centre.

The area it travels through is entirely low density, postwar industrial and, at some points, there are no public access spots for 2 kilometers.

Who would want to go to this park? And why would we abandon a perfectly good rail rapid transit line? This would be like buying a bottle of 18 year-old Speyside and dumping the contents down the drain because you like how the empty bottle looks on your shelf.

Okay, I don't like to throw out declarative sentences like "the worst", or "the stupidest" but, if this came to fruition, this would be the stupidest, most shortsighted urban planning mistake since the Spadina expressway.

Whatever you think about the RT, it is a fully grade-separated functional rapid transit line, complete with tracks, stations, a built-in transfer to the subway system and a maintenance centre.

The area it travels through is entirely low density, postwar industrial and, at some points, there are no public access spots for 2 kilometers.

Who would want to go to this park? And why would we abandon a perfectly good rail rapid transit line? This would be like buying a bottle of 18 year-old Speyside and dumping the contents down the drain because you like how the empty bottle looks on your shelf.

You are forgetting that this is Toronto, Hipster. We do things half way, 3/4 way, but never complete them.

Back