News   Jun 26, 2024
 861     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 748     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 676     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Okay - if you had to choose between this or the Richmond Hill Extension, what do you build? Answer carefully.

"This" meaning what? The Scarborough Subway, or the SLRT + Sheppard Subway combo?\

Scarborough over Yonge, but Yonge over SLRT + Sheppard Subway.

I'd pick Yonge Subway over Scarborough Subway. The planned intensification for Richmond Hill Cenre absolutely needs a subway connection. The same can't be said for Scarborough Center.

This is ignoring the effects that the extensions would have on Yonge. Both will kill the Yonge Subway south of Eglinton. I'm not sure which will do more damage.

That's inflation adjusted, in $2010 dollars (the amount you should be using to compare it to the LRT as that is what the LRT was measured by) it is $2.5 billion. according to the same calculations the Province is actually giving almost $2 billion to the line.

I'd pick Yonge Subway over Scarborough Subway. The planned intensification for Richmond Hill Cenre absolutely needs a subway connection. The same can't be said for Scarborough Center.

This is ignoring the effects that the extensions would have on Yonge. Both will kill the Yonge Subway south of Eglinton. I'm not sure which will do more damage.

Scarborough Subway will probably attract more existing riders and bring fewer new downtown-bound riders than Yonge North Subway.

Furthermore, it should be easier to redirect both new and existing riders brought by Scarborough Subway once DRL Phase I, downtown to Pape, is built.

Yonge North Subway riders cannot be redirected to DRL; the expected relief effect of DRL is entirely due to redirecting riders from the east.

Scarborough Subway will probably attract more existing riders and bring fewer new downtown-bound riders than Yonge North Subway.

Furthermore, it should be easier to redirect both new and existing riders brought by Scarborough Subway once DRL Phase I, downtown to Pape, is built.

Yonge North Subway riders cannot be redirected to DRL; the expected relief effect of DRL is entirely due to redirecting riders from the east.
Metrolinx is looking at twinning the remaining 17 miles of the Bala subdivision to allow up to 10-minute headways. This would create 10K pph of capacity, which could divert some traffic away from Yonge (higher cost of $198.65 vs $128.50 monthly, but faster and more comfortable trip).

That said, both it and the DRL are unfunded, so we can't count on their relief if the Richmond Hill extension is built first.

It appears that we are left with the following choices:

1. Build the FWLRT and SELRT, and Revert back to the LRT plan for the SRT (from Kennedy to Sheppard/Markham Road) and loose the $660M in federal funding.
  2. Build the FWLRT and SELRT, and Build the Provincial Subway alignment to STC and loose the $660M in federal funding.
  3. Build the FWLRT and SELRT, and Build the City Subway alignment to Sheppard, using the $660M federal funding and raising city taxes by $900M.
  4. Build the FWLRT and SELRT, and Connect the SRT to the elevated ECLRT, use half the $660M in federal funding to elevate the line and the other half to extend the line to Malvern Centre.
  5. Cancel the FWLRT and SELRT, and Connect the SRT to the elevated ECLRT, use half the $660M in federal funding to elevate the line and the other half to extend the line to Malvern Centre and Use the $900M from city taxes and $2.2B from the LRT's to build the DRL (phase 1 from roughly Osgoode to Pape).

So stubborn.
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 19h

Mayor Rob Ford says he won't support more than a 1% tax hike for the Scarborough subway #TOpoli pic.twitter.com/xWSyu5KtQ4

At this point even subway supporters should think about calling the province out by voting against the subway. Since the province has invested so much political capital into this extension there's be a damn good chance they'd end up covering all extra costs if forced to go it alone.

Metrolinx is looking at twinning the remaining 17 miles of the Bala subdivision to allow up to 10-minute headways. This would create 10K pph of capacity, which could divert some traffic away from Yonge (higher cost of $198.65 vs $128.50 monthly, but faster and more comfortable trip).

That said, both it and the DRL are unfunded, so we can't count on their relief if the Richmond Hill extension is built first.

When do you think we'll see this DRL funding materialize?

Back