News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This will all just be speculation, but how much scaled back will the Scarborough Centre Station Bus Terminal be now that the line is confirmed to be 3-stop? Would the second phase bus terminal (underneath SRT) be necessary anymore? Is there a chance that the entire station will be completely redesigned to incorporate design from developers (partially) funding the station/line?
My thought exactly

The current plan makes it way too big as of now. The STC bus terminal must be reduced in scope as a bus terminal at McCowan makes more sense for most of the routes operating north of the 401.

STC is perfect for nearby TTC routes and all Durham + GO routes east of McCowan

This will all just be speculation, but how much scaled back will the Scarborough Centre Station Bus Terminal be now that the line is confirmed to be 3-stop? Would the second phase bus terminal (underneath SRT) be necessary anymore? Is there a chance that the entire station will be completely redesigned to incorporate design from developers (partially) funding the station/line?

Also speculation but when you look at the map the SSE seems to come off of the Eglinton Crosstown not the BDL.

Might just be a poor representation of the stop but found it interesting.

Last edited:
I have a mixed feeling about this new development. No doubt, a 3-stop extension is better than a 1-stop extension. However, the anticipated 2-year delay pushes the construction start dangerously close to the next provincial elections. If the government changes again, it will be very tempted to keep tampering with transit plans created by the previous government.

Why would there be a need to delay anything though? Surely EAs already exist from the Karen Stintz days, with the full alignment to Sheppard/McCowan planned out. We can't allow ourselves to get bogged down in "analysis paralysis". If this were any other major Canadian city, the turn around time from planning and funding and building rapid transit expansions to completion would be 4-5 years at most (e.g. Canada Line, REM, Calgary's Southeast extension, Confederation Line).

I fear deeply about the shaft Scarborough would have likely gotten had any party but the PC's got in.
A great man once said that transit delayed was transit denied.

A party with a 4-year mandate delaying a project by 4-years is not doing anything. Quite clearly Ford has indeed given Scarborough the shaft here. They also deferred Sheppard yet again, to start after SSE - so when would that open, 2040?

Meanwhile pulling the plug on dozens of rapid transit stops east of McCowan.

Bend over Scarborough, your getting screwed big time here, thanks to the Progressive Conservatives this time! Meanwhile Etobicoke gets 4.7 billion for burying an LRT line that Metrolinx previously costed at 776 million. And the DRL and Richmond Hill extensions get sped up (though I have my doubts that will open as promised in 2027).

Last edited:
If the Bloor extension to STC is going ahead, it is better that they spend the extra money giving it 3 stops so it's actually more useful and can serve a major hospital at Lawrence. The one stop plan was beyond stupid.

The three-stop subway is more sensible, but delaying the project another 4 years is not going to get something built.

Better to start building as planned now, and work on plans to add an intermediate station and extension.

Or go back to the original 6 or 7 station LRT plan they could still be completed by 2024 (only 9 years later than originally promised).

The three-stop subway is more sensible, but delaying the project another 4 years is not going to get something built.

Better to start building as planned now, and work on plans to add an intermediate station and extension.

Or go back to the original 6 or 7 station LRT plan they could still be completed by 2024 (only 9 years later than originally promised).

They need to fix the subway or connect up thru it to the Eglinton Crosstown with no transfer as was Robs plan.

The Miller plan is never coming back for obvious reasons and I'm almost certain it would require a new EA

2026 was an ambitious target for the sad one stop. 2030 is realistic if they are serious about delivering the 3 stop along McCowan

If only - ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

I say imagine if they decided to stick with the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT. STC would be served for ~$3B less. Killing that transit line was the worst move in Toronto transit history.
  • It was essentially the gas plant moment (#2) for the Liberals.
  • It was their plan - Rob Ford actually wanted the B-D extension even in 2010).
  • They analysed it themselves and found it to be the best.
  • They hid the report from the city and public during the 2012 and 2013 transit debates.
  • They played the backroom manipulating city Councillors.
  • In the end, in the 2 years that council took the transit file away from Rob Ford - City Council and the Liberals bounced back and forth from transfer LRT to subway about a half dozen times. it was a complete mess. Everyone was afraid to go back to this compromise plan because it had a Ford name associated with it. This set the city transit back 5 to 10 years.
The 2 great ironies are:
  1. Rob Ford would have defeated himself anyway with the drug use - and later his death. Thus, the $3B was not even needed to serve the main goal - although at the time the sentiment at the time amongst progressives was to remove Ford at all cost, and they thought $3B was a reasonable price to pay.
  2. A Ford would up having control over Toronto transit anyway - but as Premier.

Following the recent comments on the Scarborough Subway Extension on the new Ontario Transit Plan Map looking like an extension of Line 5 Eglinton, is it out of the question for the government to intentionally mislead people and “accidentally” build a tunneled LRT Extension instead of the Subway Extension? I know this would be absurd, but it’s not impossible.

Last edited:
If only - ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

I say imagine if they decided to stick with the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT. STC would be served for ~$3B less. Killing that transit line was the worst move in Toronto transit history.
  • It was essentially the gas plant moment (#2) for the Liberals.
  • It was their plan - Rob Ford actually wanted the B-D extension even in 2010).
  • They analysed it themselves and found it to be the best.
  • They hid the report from the city and public during the 2012 and 2013 transit debates.
  • They played the backroom manipulating city Councillors.
  • In the end, in the 2 years that council took the transit file away from Rob Ford - City Council and the Liberals bounced back and forth from transfer LRT to subway about a half dozen times. it was a complete mess. Everyone was afraid to go back to this compromise plan because it had a Ford name associated with it. This set the city transit back 5 to 10 years.
The 2 great ironies are:
  1. Rob Ford would have defeated himself anyway with the drug use - and later his death. Thus, the $3B was not even needed to serve the main goal - although at the time the sentiment at the time amongst progressives was to remove Ford at all cost, and they thought $3B was a reasonable price to pay.
  2. A Ford would up having control over Toronto transit anyway - but as Premier.
I hate to say it, but the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT was really the best plan.

Following the recent comments on the Scarborough Subway Extension on the new Ontario Transit Plan Map looking like an extension of Line 5 Eglinton, is it out of the question for the government to intentionally mislead people and “accidentally” build a tunneled LRT Extension instead of the Subway Extension? I know this would be absurd, but it’s not impossible.
He'd somehow have to find a way of "accidentally switching the Golden Mile stretch to grade-separated as well. With that portion at-grade, the LRT won't work (not enough capacity to take riders from STC and to have them stay on ECLRT).
If Hudak would have taken over 5 years ago, then it could have happened.

I hate to say it, but the Eglinton-Scarborough LRT was really the best plan.

Might still happen.

Before SSE tenders the Eglinton LRT will open and there is at least 1 more provincial election with the Ford timeline.

Last edited:
Might still happen.
Easily? I thought after that was killed when Rob Ford was mayor for his 3-station subway that the revised design that they are now building didn't line up with the SRT corridor easily, instead heading east on Eglinton.

But I don't know how tight a turn you could build out of the new station.

Back