News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 990     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

There will? I've never seen anything about that - it would require another bridge over the rail corridor.
IIRC the Sorauren Park to Railpath bridge would be a separate project, but the structure needed to crossover the Barrie Line would be designed to allow a connection to be built to the park.

Next meeting for the southerly extension.

2PAwzUk

2o7G29b

^ The slides are now available for this drop in event on September 13th, as tweet out here.

Attachments

• 9726-WTRE_DisplayPanels_Final.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 558
This is taking a lot longer than I thought.

View attachment 156364
Surely you have learned by now that anything active transportation related takes at least 10 years and 7 deadline over-runs in this city by now?

The municipal capital department is completely incompetent when it comes to delivering projects anywhere even remotely close to a reasonable and / or original deadline.

I believe when funding was first announced for the Railpath they were expecting it to be open by the end of this year. Now we are looking at another 3 years until construction even *begins*.

HOW?

How in the world does it take, what, 7 years to design and procure a friggen bike trail?

Surely you have learned by now that anything active transportation related takes at least 10 years and 7 deadline over-runs in this city by now?

The municipal capital department is completely incompetent when it comes to delivering projects anywhere even remotely close to a reasonable and / or original deadline.

I believe when funding was first announced for the Railpath they were expecting it to be open by the end of this year. Now we are looking at another 3 years until construction even *begins*.

HOW?

How in the world does it take, what, 7 years to design and procure a friggen bike trail?
Perhaps they want construction to coincide with Liberty Village station construction?

And people wonder why "small government" is a popular catchphrase.

And people wonder why "small government" is a popular catchphrase.

Smarter government would be a better catchphrase.

As would more ambitious.

I will be cautious in what I share here, but say I was very recently at a meeting with City staff and a councillor, among others, discussing, hmmmm, City proposals/plans for a given area.

The councillor was most unhappy, because a presentation by staff showed changes in the project that contradicted what they had been told.

I had to correct both the staff and the councillor ( I do a better job of talking to all the parties regularly).

It really is astounding that staff were not properly updating the councillor, they also weren't tracking projects and timelines properly themselves, and in some cases didn't even know
that certain 'players' had changed.

Sigh.

I honestly don't get how people operate like that.

The staff in question aren't lazy per se, and they certainly don't lack education.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that's going on.............but its a common problem.

Wish I could say more, instead of being so opaque, but for obvious reasons, I can't.

I'm not impressed with the proposed bridge designs either. Very utilitarian, no ambition, especially compared to the conceptual designs that were released a year or two back. This should be a showpiece active transportation corridor, probably among the most heavily used in the city. Why are we cheaping out on the design elements? Toronto the stingy.

Last edited:
I honestly don't get how people operate like that.

The staff in question aren't lazy per se, and they certainly don't lack education.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that's going on.............but its a common problem.

I generally go by "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

HOW?

Clearly because we have 44 councillors instead of 25, DUH

Perhaps they want construction to coincide with Liberty Village station construction?
Not to overlook Metrolinx taking back a slice of the trail immediately east of the Bloor Station to run a fourth track through the corridor. Last time I spoke to Cnclr Bailao ( at the mural unveiling on the Red Cross Building) she and her staff claimed to know nothing about it. (Let alone how losing the trees integral with the mural would radically change it).

^One of the upper if not highest execs for Parks was there too. Talked to him first. He claimed to know nothing about it too. A very curious state of affairs...

Btw: The map shown is out of date. The fudge for the northern extension is in, and it's not as indicated on the map. It's on existing streets up to the proposed Lavender Creek eastward extension. Very disappointing. I know that whole area intimately, I live just south of there and cycle every day possible. I already know all of the streets proposed. That's a cop out, not a pedestrian/bike trail. In all fairness (gist) "Metrolinx have decided the strip of land they were going to provide for the route is needed after all". For the fourth track!

Perhaps it's become Bailao's way of hiding from the outcome by pretending not to know? After all, this is the city that paints sharrows on roads and claims them to be cycle paths.

I've scouted the area many times to see whether an alternative could be had by attaining or expropriating a RoW through existing under-utilized properties. There are a number of possibilities, but it would involve a cost. And therein lies the recipe for fudge.

More sharrows and painted lines will save the day. For them. Not us.

Last edited:

Back