News   Apr 23, 2024
 430     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 376     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 621     0 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

I'd say the path looks good except for the parts that were witewashed by the city and haven't been tagged back over.
They are installing steps on the east side of Dufferin now for the park thats to go there. Even the parks is finally seeing work after all these years. To early to say if there will be a grove track on the stairs to move your bike to/from the RailPath, but no ramp for sure.

Metrolinx was all talk about keeping the barriers clean as there are all kinds of places where this unwelcome art work can be found on it today, let alone last year.

That awkwardly shaped sliver of land sandwiched between the tracks south of Dundas between Lansdowne and Sorauren that used to be a scrap yard has some core drilling action going on...

Yes, it belongs to Metrolinx. All the scrap has been gone from the scrap yard for a while now. Buildings near Dundas are still standing as of the last time I passed by. Not sure what's going to happen to the buildings as there's a pretty big difference in grade between Dundas and the area behind the buildings (they're one storey on the Dundas side but three storeys at the back). I also saw a drilling rig parked on the railpath just north of Dundas a week or two ago, so it does seem that work is ramping up on the corridor expansion project.

I believe Metrolinx only needs part of the property but it was a significant enough chunk (like 50% of the land) to require entire expropriation. I believe they are going to use it as a staging yard for the Barrie Corridor expansion, then use part of it for the Railpath for the new bridge over the Barrie Corridor, and then give the remaining part to the city for a park.

If you're interested in having a peek inside that property:

West Toronto Railpath Realignment Public Meeting
I am pleased to have secured a public meeting for Wednesday, October 23 at 6:30PM at the George Chuvalo Community Centre hosted by Metrolinx to update the community and answer questions on the realignment of the West Toronto Railpath. In order to protect this important community park and move it forward quickly, I have been meeting regularly with the Metrolinx project team and City staff to secure the realignment project and include additional improvements to the path. I look forward to meeting with you all to discuss the project and make sure it reflects the wishes of the community.

^ Here's the full version from Metrolinx.

Metrolinx has a roadmap for this region, a plan for more connections. We’re transforming the existing GO system to deliver a whole new rapid transit experience, making connections like never before. More transit is at the heart of everything we do. Adding a fourth track through Toronto (from Lansdowne to Dundas) on the Kitchener corridor is essential to improving service on that line, but construction will also allow for enhancements to the existing West Toronto Railpath in your community.

Please join Metrolinx and City of Toronto staff at an Open House on October 23 for the latest updates and information about the planned phasing of this work. Staff will be available to answer your questions, hear your feedback and share updated timelines.

The Open House starts at 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 23, 2019
George Chavalo Community Centre
50 Sousa Mendes Street
Toronto

For more information: www.metrolinx.com/kitchener
Please feel free to contact us directly at TorontoWest@metrolinx.com or 416-202-6500.

Attachments

• Community Update Oct. 23.PDF
    118.7 KB · Views: 443
I briefly heard a report on MetroMorning today about a community meeting last night where Metrolinx talked about changes to the rail path over the next two years since they need to build an additional track. Anyone have more details? Will this further delay expansion of the rail path south to Queen?

I briefly heard a report on MetroMorning today about a community meeting last night where Metrolinx talked about changes to the rail path over the next two years since they need to build an additional track. Anyone have more details? Will this further delay expansion of the rail path south to Queen?
I was at the Open House yesterday, which focused primarily on the changes that will affect the existing rail path and the construction timelines/impacts. The slides should be uploaded soon.

I asked about the extension and was told that there will be an update early next year. The design will be 90% complete by then. Still too early to know when construction will begin.

CBC News Toronto 11PM newscast report on the meeting. Scroll to the 2:40 mark.

If there were updates, they'd be posted in the thread. ?

The non-snarky answer is that detailed design is ongoing and there will be a public meeting with an update on that sometime in "early 2020". Metrolinx will be occupying this part of the rail corridor until the end of 2020 for the Barrie corridor expansion enabling works and noisewall construction. In theory, construction on the railpath extension could start as soon as 2021 if funding is secured, but 2022 is more likely. If you're anxious to see it built sooner, send a note to your councillor!

If there were updates, they'd be posted in the thread. ?

The non-snarky answer is that detailed design is ongoing and there will be a public meeting with an update on that sometime in "early 2020". Metrolinx will be occupying this part of the rail corridor until the end of 2020 for the Barrie corridor expansion enabling works and noisewall construction. In theory, construction on the railpath extension could start as soon as 2021 if funding is secured, but 2022 is more likely. If you're anxious to see it built sooner, send a note to your councillor!

Is there any plan on the northern portion as specified in the 2012 bikeway implementation plan? In conjunction with Eglinton Connects it would provide a nice connection to other bike trails in that area.

Capture.PNG

Back