News   Apr 25, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Cycling: West Toronto Railpath (City of Toronto, Phase II Proposed)

Is the reference to extending it further south a reference to moving forward the already-announced southern extension (to just past Queen), or are they talking about extending it even further south?
I believe the city negotiated additional width for the existing southern extension. Originally there were parts that were essentially only wide enough for the path itself, now it's a bit wider to allow vegetation across it's entire length.

Is the reference to extending it further south a reference to moving forward the already-announced southern extension (to just past Queen), or are they talking about extending it even further south?

Since there's talk about the re-alignment of the existing railpath, I'd expect that City-Metrolinx negotiations on 'extending further south' is to do with the completed EA for the south extension from Dundas to Sudbury@Dovercourt. Negotiations south of Queen, I believe are going to involve private property owners in addition to Metrolinx.

Note ICYMI: the vision is for the railpath to go south all the way to Wellington, and then east to the Fort York Pedestrian Bridge. The EA only took a dedicated path to Sudbury/Dovercourt, and then just implements sharrows along Sudbury and Douro. There's not enough space south of that to wedge between required space for Metrolinx and private property.

Saw this posted today:

2IyeYrE

2GEduf6

Saw this posted today:

2IyeYrE

2GEduf6

It's nice to hear they're getting rid of that eyesore junkyard. Wonder what Metrolinx will do with the remaining space once they account for the WTR and any required track space. I've always though there could be a nice cycle/pedestrian oriented cafe or the like on the far north of the sliver, fronting the street.

It's nice to hear they're getting rid of that eyesore junkyard. Wonder what Metrolinx will do with the remaining space once they account for the WTR and any required track space. I've always though there could be a nice cycle/pedestrian oriented cafe or the like on the far north of the sliver, fronting the street.
I used to have a studio on Sorauren some thirty years ago directly west of there. Used to feed some feral cats that lived in that junkyard. Somehow they'd find themselves into what was the yacht/sail business basement that used to be on Dundas @ Sterling for warmth to survive in the winter. One of the problems for the cats was getting covered in oil, and metal contaminated crank-case oil, quite toxic. That area was/is saturated with it, and possibly worse. This is pure surmise, but I venture that the land is unsuitable for anything save being parkland. The Province allows the capping of such lands and restricted re-use, as long as the contaminants aren't migrating in a serious way. If that land is remediated, it will take them years to do it. Probably one of the saving features for any contamination is it being below the Dundas St corridor, towards the Lake for groundwater, and buffered by federally regulated rail corridors for which EAs become complex in terms of jurisdiction and control.

If that land is to become anything but parkland (or God forbid, parking), a developer would face one hell of a bill cleaning it up first. I think parkland it will be.

If that land is to become anything but parkland (or God forbid, parking), a developer would face one hell of a bill cleaning it up first. I think parkland it will be.

I'm sure they have already done a few core samples before the sale occurred. Most properties such as these require an environmental review before sale (the clean-up costs can be charged to the ultimate owners of the property).

I'm sure they have already done a few core samples before the sale occurred. Most properties such as these require an environmental review before sale (the clean-up costs can be charged to the ultimate owners of the property).
Of course they have, although the terms of the 'sale' aren't revealed. It could have been expropriated or forfeited due to the state that it was in, clean-up orders could have been pending, but that only buttresses the case for superficial clean-up (the Ministry has different standards depending on end-use and whether or not leachate is migrating) and the best outcome was determined to be capping and use as parkland.

In all fairness to the previous owners, they inherited what was historically a rail right of way inevitably polluted with phenols and other contaminants anyway.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/d-4-land-use-or-near-landfills-and-dumps

I think we're making a lot of assumptions and hypothetical about what condition that land is in. It would be nice to know for sure.
This land was acquired in July 2003 by the City of Toronto from the St. Lawrence and Hudson Railway. The purchase agreement demanded that the vendor remediate the soil to industrial standards. After acquiring the lands, the City of Toronto needed to terminate a lease that a salvage yard (M&S Waste and Salvage) had for a portion of the land, leased when the land was owned by Canadian Pacific.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Toronto_Railpath

I'll dig more on the specific contaminants later at the Ministry's website. Areas of the West Toronto Railpath are still being monitored for stability of pollutants. Here's the City reference re M&S Waste and Salvage: (I can personally attest that the soil in at least parts of that area was saturated with what at best was crankcase oil, and had migrated onto the present rail RoW)
[...]
The Tenant shall return the premises free of any environmental contamination from the Tenant’s use. In 1998, Planning staff advised that the lands could not accommodate both the City plans for the property as well as the truck use. Subsequent studies by Parks planners have confirmed this and have also confirmed that the pathway cannot be detoured around the Property via local streets. TLT has no jurisdiction over parks planning, traffic planning, or the disposition of City lands. The obligation imposed by TLT on the Tenant to maintain the Lease is a restriction on the conduct of M & S Waste and Salvage Limited, and in no way affects the rights of the City as lessor. The City may legally terminate the lease in accordance with its terms.
[...]
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/adm/adm060502/it016.pdf

The West Toronto Trail north of there has been superficially remediated:
[...]
Once Canadian Pacific had removed the unused tracks and contaminated soil, the team moved in to catalogue native plants and collect their seeds. Large trees – even "weed trees" – were mapped and preserved where possible.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...mportant-toronto-public-space/article4378533/

Prior to CP even it was one of Ontario's first railways. It goes without saying that it was polluted, as almost all historical rail lines are, by burnt fuels and lubricants, let alone spilled cargo.

Then this last century, it was an automotive and machine scrapyard, with heavy metals and contaminated oils.

I'll see what the MoE has on file and list it. Part of the concern, at least to the north of there, is the powerful underlying aquifer and surface plumes.

Last edited:
Looks like Google Maps is getting ahead of itself on this one. Maybe they're just as excited about the extension as the rest of us.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 10.39.42 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 10.39.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 10.39.42 AM.png
    513.3 KB · Views: 933
I love that there will be a connection from the Railpath extension over to Sorauren Park. It's currently very awkward to get to from Brockton.

I love that there will be a connection from the Railpath extension over to Sorauren Park. It's currently very awkward to get to from Brockton.
There will? I've never seen anything about that - it would require another bridge over the rail corridor.

Back