News   Jul 15, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 605     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Come to think of it, is there any streetcar ROW in the city, in-use or planned that also has curb-separated bike lanes? The Queens Quay ROW has a "multi-use" path, which is essentially the city using doublespeak to ignore its own by-laws on cycling on the sidewalk. But a true curb-separated bike lane alongside a streetcar ROW? I think it's not done here.
College St? Really, we should be modelling the streetcar ROWs after Europe, high-speed transit (removing close-together signalized intersections, implementing TSP, improving switches) alongside low-speed/"pedestrianized" road space for people/cyclists/cars.

Come to think of it, is there any streetcar ROW in the city, in-use or planned that also has curb-separated bike lanes?

College Street

In general, though, it will not be done, because the ROW on most routes is insufficiently wide to allow for it.

Which is to say, on for example, (most) of Queen, if you did this, you would have to remove the curb lanes for cars entirely (forcing any cars on to the streetcar tracks) which would slow transit and cars.

The width of most curb lanes on streetscar routes is such that if you placed bike lane/cycle track to the trackside, you'd be putting cyclists between the door zone and the tracks. Bike and tracks don't mix well and streetcars can't do evasive action nor stop quickly.

If you placed the cycle track to curbside, you'd have cars regularly encroaching into streetcar row and holding up service, especially in winter.

That said, you will see an expansion of cycle tracks on College, in all likelihood, as the councillors support it.

It can certainly be done, but we would have to be ready to completely dump parking on all streetcar routes (which I favour, btw), but i don't think the politics are there for it......... yet.

It might also require some further innovation.

College St? Really, we should be modelling the streetcar ROWs after Europe, high-speed transit (removing close-together signalized intersections, implementing TSP, improving switches) alongside low-speed/"pedestrianized" road space for people/cyclists/cars.
I think the biggest barrier to implementing the European model is on-street parking. Wherever there is a streetcar track there should be no on-street parking. Sort of a reverse Los Angeles.

We can't let business owners, and increasingly big chains dictate how we get around.

Last edited:
I was by this today and had to stop and take a photo. :)

Danforth cycle track at Kelvin Ave (east of Dawes).
IMG_9383.jpeg

Back