News   Jul 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 756     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I still have to sift through the rest of the data. The issue for me is "build and they will come" hasn't materialized. It doesn't seem worthwhile to add 10 people an hour, especially considering this is a main transport corridor
While I commend you for spending your valuable personal time on this large assessment of data and agree that growth hasn't occured much since installation, as a project manager for large volume moving projects typically "months" wouldn't be a valuable measure of time to assess the effectiveness of a project or if the growth measures are worth the cost. CBAs typically aren't fulfilled until several years after installation. I'd be interested to see you conduct this study yearly until 2027 to show a proper growth trend

While I commend you for spending your valuable personal time on this large assessment of data and agree that growth hasn't occured much since installation, as a project manager for large volume moving projects typically "months" wouldn't be a valuable measure of time to assess the effectiveness of a project or if the growth measures are worth the cost. CBAs typically aren't fulfilled until several years after installation. I'd be interested to see you conduct this study yearly until 2027 to show a proper growth trend

While I don't think bike lanes should be that far west, we can't judge yet. Right now the lanes are too new. After the downtown network of properly protected lanes is completed (hopefully this year) we will be in a better place to judge. Do the same analysis in July 2026 and we'd be in a better place to judge.
I know these views all come from different people but I feel like there's 2 schools of thought?

One group of people think bikes will mostly be used for shorter trips that are too long to walk, and I think the cycling network is big enough for that since by definition that implies people would stick to a short distance. If that's the benchmark I think it's fair to have some initial thoughts.

The other group assumes people are willing to bike across several neighborhoods for work, which I think is wholly unrealistic except for a few hardcore cyclists. I'm curious what camp the city is in with their broader cycling plan, since it's sort of reminding me of bikeshare. Yes we might need more time to see if demand shifts but unless e-bike become more ubiquitous I don't personally see much of a shift happening.

I'm also curious what would the sentiment be if winter use was much lower? I'm happy to do a study in November or December, though that's months away. I'm also trying to think how would I be able to measure when it's raining since the camera's view will be obscured.

I also appreciate the thanks! I'm happy to film more days, reviewing the footage is incredibly tedious and takes slightly longer than real time to tally the results.

They temporarily removed the bike lane curbing along the esplanade for the construction and drivers IMMEDIATELY started using the bike lane for parking and as a turning lane.
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg

I know these views all come from different people but I feel like there's 2 schools of thought?

One group of people think bikes will mostly be used for shorter trips that are too long to walk, and I think the cycling network is big enough for that since by definition that implies people would stick to a short distance. If that's the benchmark I think it's fair to have some initial thoughts.

The other group assumes people are willing to bike across several neighborhoods for work, which I think is wholly unrealistic except for a few hardcore cyclists. I'm curious what camp the city is in with their broader cycling plan, since it's sort of reminding me of bikeshare. Yes we might need more time to see if demand shifts but unless e-bike become more ubiquitous I don't personally see much of a shift happening.

I'm also curious what would the sentiment be if winter use was much lower? I'm happy to do a study in November or December, though that's months away. I'm also trying to think how would I be able to measure when it's raining since the camera's view will be obscured.

I also appreciate the thanks! I'm happy to film more days, reviewing the footage is incredibly tedious and takes slightly longer than real time to tally the results.
My personal opinion (a rather unimportant one especially on a online forum with little impact to society) is we are in the infancy stages of a very large shift in transportation habits due to a large variety of factors not exclusive to financial, environmental, generational and technological changes that will span decades. To capture data and form concrete conclusions over just a few months is to do a disservice to the validity of any argument either in favour or against certain enhancements or changes.

I for one am very interested to see how things change over the next 10-20 years. Should be fascinating to watch the city evolve. There will always be multiple schools of thought but the reality is change is coming and seeing the city lean into the change in many areas for better or for worse is definitely interesting to watch.

Side note, I drive on Bloor several times a week (both EB and WB) and the bike lanes I find are harmless to my commute but I understand my personal experience may differ from others and am aware that I've also experienced delays on other bike lane routes that are worse.

Anyways, great pictures from the cycle track installation at Millwood/Pape/Donlands.

Bike lanes are for both short and long trips. And you really need a strong and protected network to make that shift happen (and time)

At the moment, the cycle tracks on Bloor end just west of Kipling. But these bike lanes don't connect to anything (apart from the Six Points bike lanes) At the moment, this won't switch any people who've never cycled previously.

However, you have to start somewhere, even if it is hard.

If we go a bit more west, we'll end up at the Etobicoke Hydro Corridor where Hydro One is building a major north-south trail.
1720626918976.png

If we go a bit more west, we'll get to Martin Grove where the city is building the main north-south on-street cycling spine for Etobicoke

And further west will get people to Mississauga and their soon-to-be bike lane, trails etc.

Kipling is also being touted as the southward cycling spine to the lake.

And the many local neighbourhoods that are within. Even people using bike lanes for recreation is still a net-positive, even if they always drive.

Once residents realize that there is a safe and connected network where they can get to places nearby safely, then people may consider cycling for some trips. The goal is to give people options.

1720627657208.png

This type of long-term planning is crucial for achieving the city's goals and objectives for giving residents more options to move around, but it will take time.

If we don't make the infrastructure now, we won't be able to make those goals a reality. We must also think about people who don't live in the neighbourhood just yet but will soon, due to future developments. Current residents may always drive but future residents may not, especially with the removal of parking minimums, and the cost of driving in general.

And even if you'll never bike in your life, everyone will benefit from speeds closer to the speed limit, less injuries and deaths, and more pleasant and vibrant streets. There are many benefits of bike lanes beyond cycling that people recognize.

Attachments

• 1720627500208.png
    1720627500208.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 2
1000063233.jpg
1000063230.jpg

This is an example of the ridiculous overdesigb of some of these bike lanes. Ferrand Drive has been butchered by these new painted lines. See how the divider is WIDER than the bike lane itself. There will never be enough bike traffic to warrant a LEFT TURN LANE and to cut a road in half. Even if its to cut down on speed theres other ways to do so such as speed humps that are far more practical. Congratulations toronto, this is where the budget has gone to

View attachment 579388View attachment 579389

This is an example of the ridiculous overdesogb of some of these bike lanes. Ferrand Drive has been butchered by these new painted lines. There will never be enough bike traffic to warrant a LEFT TURN LANE and to cut a road in half. Congratulations toronto, this is where the budget has gone to
To be fair, Ferrand Drive is a circular road surrounding single family homes and the office "traffic" goes one way. There's likely not enough vehicle traffic to warrant a road double that size. The additional cost of some extra paint to make that left turn lane is negligble as those cement curbs would likely still be there.

Bigger fish to fry and worry about then this for sure.

The Divider is wider to keep the vehicle lane and the bike lane the same size and likely reduce corner cutting by the vehicles turning right. Standard traffic paint requirements followed

Last edited:
Bike commuting can be used for long trips though there may be a limit where you'd rather take public transit and have some downtime. I think 20km might be a reasonable limit for me. It's really nice the scalability of bike lanes and the ability to go past traffic.

Biking also allows you to mix recreation with your commute, more exercise time when most people are lacking.

They temporarily removed the bike lane curbing along the esplanade for the construction and drivers IMMEDIATELY started using the bike lane for parking and as a turning lane. View attachment 579326View attachment 579327
Sad and a good example of how productive the small precast curbs are.

Now to be fair, there was still construction detour signage directing cyclists to share the sidewalk when I passed at 2pm yesterday. So I really wouldn’t be upset by this.

The pipe installation under Esplanade is in the final stretch from George to Jarvis, then work on the improved cycle track will begin.

Bike commuting can be used for long trips though there may be a limit where you'd rather take public transit and have some downtime. I think 20km might be a reasonable limit for me. It's really nice the scalability of bike lanes and the ability to go past traffic.

Biking also allows you to mix recreation with your commute, more exercise time when most people are lacking.
I suspect we might see more use of the lanes if Toronto city council ever stops being afraid of their own shadows and allows e-scooters, too.

Sad and a good example of how productive the small precast curbs are.

Now to be fair, there was still construction detour signage directing cyclists to share the sidewalk when I passed at 2pm yesterday. So I really wouldn’t be upset by this.

The pipe installation under Esplanade is in the final stretch from George to Jarvis, then work on the improved cycle track will begin.
Yes, this lane will soon be MUCH improved and the street is currently a construction site. This is bike lane I use almost daily but there are really bigger things to be worried about.

Back