News   Jul 29, 2024
 190     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 327     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

We need to systematically redesign streets to match their posted speeds

I really don't like this logic personally. I think a better way to say it is:

we need to redesign streets to match a safe speed for their area.

There are many places where the posted speed in Toronto is ridiculously slow for a street that has no reason being that slow. Yes, in dense neighborhoods and other areas the streets should be 30/40. But some areas i've noticed arbitrary speeds that don't make any sense. Plus, there are other areas where rather than lowering the speed, other safety measures should be enacted. Bayview up to Moore Ave goes from 60 to 50 because the pedestrian barrier stops around after the Brickworks (and no car slows down) It would be hard to design that section of Bayview to act like a 50kmh street, and would be pointless anyways; they need to extend that barrier and keep it 60, which is a reasonable speed for that street.

I really don't like this logic personally. I think a better way to say it is:

we need to redesign streets to match a safe speed for their area.

There are many places where the posted speed in Toronto is ridiculously slow for a street that has no reason being that slow. Yes, in dense neighborhoods and other areas the streets should be 30/40. But some areas i've noticed arbitrary speeds that don't make any sense. Plus, there are other areas where rather than lowering the speed, other safety measures should be enacted. Bayview up to Moore Ave goes from 60 to 50 because the pedestrian barrier stops around after the Brickworks (and no car slows down) It would be hard to design that section of Bayview to act like a 50kmh street, and would be pointless anyways; they need to extend that barrier and keep it 60, which is a reasonable speed for that street.
If the roadway is supposed to be 40 km/h, then redesign the road to match the posted speed limit. Narrower lanes are a start. Raised intersections instead of 4-way stops. Raised crosswalks that force the motorist to slow down. Narrower corners. Bump-outs. Properly segregated cycling lanes. Even on-street parking, that would not invade (sorry, liberate) into the cycling lane.

Reactions: dkt
The first, and typically main report that seeks to authorize this year's Bike Plan infrastructure projects is heading to next week's Infrastructure and Environment Ctte.

From the above:

1647959105526.png

1647959131398.png

The Active TO Bike lanes on Yonge (Bloor to Davisville) and Bayview would be extended for another year to 2023 before being the subject of a report on permanency.

I've previously posted on most of the above projects and don't want to duplicate info/renders.

But I don't recall making note of the new complete street on Steeles Avenue East from Kennedy to McCowan (apologies if my memory is misleading me)

1647959487471.png

1647959514173.png

I think Rob's referring to the cycle track being place alongside the road instead of swapping places with the trees. Though there was a certain measure of hyperbole in Rob's post, I had the same first thought. It appears at least on one side of the road there's room to move the cycle track further away from the road and have the grassy shoulder provide extra protection.

I think Rob's referring to the cycle track being place alongside the road instead of swapping places with the trees. Though there was a certain measure of hyperbole in Rob's post, I had the same first thought. It appears at least on one side of the road there's room to move the cycle track further away from the road and have the grassy shoulder provide extra protection.

I don't see cutting down all the trees as an acceptable outcome.

I look at this and see cycle tracks where there none before.

Now, I'd certainly support additional protection if that made sense to everyone (ie. a railing or barrier at the curb) Of course that's its own issue in terms of potential injuries and might encroach unduly onto the trail.

Of note, however, the City perceived the risk to be higher at intersections and the path does move in from the curbside area at intersections.

I don't see cutting down all the trees as an acceptable outcome.

I look at this and see cycle tracks where there none before.

Now, I'd certainly support additional protection if that made sense to everyone (ie. a railing or barrier at the curb) Of course that's its own issue in terms of potential injuries and might encroach unduly onto the trail.

Of note, however, the City perceived the risk to be higher at intersections and the path does move in from the curbside area at intersections.
to me the biggest problem with the design of a cycle track right beside the arterial road is that it will be rendered useless when the city inevitably uses it for snow storage.

to me the biggest problem with the design of a cycle track right beside the arterial road is that it will be rendered useless when the city inevitably uses it for snow storage.
Which might be why the grass verge is there for the snow windrows. Hopefully, they will also plow the cycling track.

The City and Province still see bikes as "vehicles" so they design things so that bikes are on the road, not beside the sidewalk and pedestrians where they belong.

Back