4     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 702     0 

Construction Gone Wild

From the NY Times via Reuters:

[h=2]London tower partially melts Jaguar.[/h]
A cluster of new skyscrapers transforming the London skyline are often blamed for spoiling the view. Now one has been accused of “melting” a car. A motorist said the intense sunlight reflected from the “Walkie Talkie” — one of several flashy towers under construction in the historic financial district — had warped his Jaguar, which he had parked across the street. The skyscraper’s developers said they were seeking to rectify the problem, which they blamed on the position of the sun at certain times of day. “The phenomenon is caused by the current elevation of the sun in the sky. It currently lasts for approximately two hours per day, with initial modeling suggesting that it will be present for approximately two-three weeks,” Land Securities and Canary Wharf Group said in a statement. Three parking spaces had been taken out of service pending a solution, it added. The car’s owner, Martin Lindsay, told the BBC that he had left his car for an hour and returned to find that the side mirror, panels and Jaguar badge had “melted.” The 37-story building has been nicknamed the “Walkie Talkie” after its distinctive shape, which appears to expand outward at the top.

Sounds like James Bond's "The Man WIth The Golden Gun". Death rays from the sun!

The thing I remember most from "The Man WIth The Golden Gun" was the return of the James Bond franchise's answer to Jar Jar Binks (or the other way around, I guess) - Louisiana Sheriff J.W. Pepper, a racist hillbilly cop from the last film, "Live and Let Die" who inexplicitly ends up in Bangkok with Bond. That and the silly slide-whistle sound effect during the car chase.

As for the Top 10 Architectural Failures, I'm surprised that, say Pruitt-Igoe, wasn't included. But all but the Shanghai towers are still standing.

As for the Top 10 Architectural Failures, I'm surprised that, say Pruitt-Igoe, wasn't included. But all but the Shanghai towers are still standing.
I agree with you that the Pruitt-Igoe should be included, as well as the Prora (which was inexplicably included as a wonder in Civilization V: Brave New World!).

retrofit of Citibank building

[video=youtube;O_ekNosnieQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ekNosnieQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Back