News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 469     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 794     0 

Condo Projects with Direct Subway Access

I only thought it'd be a good connection because a) the Queens Park/Hoskins intersection is very pedestrian unfriendly, b) provides a weatherproof secure link to the subway utilizing a gap in accessibility (i.e. Museum's southern end).

With all the $ they're investing in the stop why not make it more practical for more people to use? For instance, how many 94 riders get off to walk all the way up to Charles or just stay onboard for Wellesley Stn, hmm?

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved said tunnel, especially if it had arms going west to Hoskin and east to St. Mike's. Trudging through Queen's Park to a class early in the morning after a heavy snowfall is no fun. Yes yes, I know...buy boots...

At least it's an improvement over "Hopskins."

What can I say, I'm a fast typer :eek:!

Seriously though every subway stop south of Bloor could have a PATH system of some capacity.

-Spadina, St George, Museum, Queens Park could all be connected directly to U of T via underground passageways.

-St Patrick/Dundas to OCAD/Ryerson U respectively

-Wellesley to the Macdonald Block Complex (gov't building at Bay St)

and further afield

-Sherbourne to Grenwin Sq, the Three Sixty, Allianz Canada, Rogers Building, Rosedale Glen

-North York Centre to Gibson House, 5001 Yonge, Yonge-Norton Ctr, North York Performing Arts Centre, Transamerica, Trimark

Most of those North York Centre connections are already there. 5000 Yonge has an underground connection to North York City Hall, and through there you can get to the NYCC subway stop.

It's been a couple years since I've been up that way, but I'm pretty sure you can walk from Yonge-Sheppard all the way up to NYCC without going outside. I know you can get from Yonge-Sheppard to the Madison Centre, and I know that Transamerica connects with buildings to the North, so it's just a question of whether or not Ultima bridges the void between the Madison Centre and Transamerica. Ultima went up shortly after Transamerica, and they were by the same developer (Menkes), so I'm assuming there is a connection, but I'm not exactly positive.

Transamerica/5000 Yonge has a tunnel? If so, it's extremely well-hidden. I'm all but certain that there's no direct, unfettered public access between Sheppard station and North York Centre station...I'd be very surprised if Ultima had any sort of connection.

There's lots of future projects that could have direct subway access up there, though, like Hullmark, the supposed Bazis towers, Menkes Gibson property stuff, etc.

Yeah, there's two entry points for Transamerica's tunnel. You can either get it from the P1 level of the parking garage, or (And this might actually be a fire exit that isn't open for public use) there's a door from the sidewalk along North York Blvd that leads to a stairwell all tiled in white.

The Transamerica parking garage also directly connects to the Ford Centre (they made a small addition to the lobby of the Ford Centre when they built Transamerica, to accomodate the new stairwell). I'm almost positive that all of the parking garages on that block (Transamerica, Ultima, and the Broadway condos) are interconnected, but it's been awhile.

No, they aren't interconnected underground malls, but they are publicly accessible underground walkways that would protect a pedestrian from the elements. They aren't pretty, but it's not as though the doors are locked or alarmed. And the North York tunnels weren't ever really much to look at. As I recall the one that takes you from the East to the West side of Yonge had low ceilings, dim lights, and exposed conduit.

I guess it's sort of like the Queen's Park or University Health Network tunnels. They aren't true PATH-style connections, but they do their job. Same goes for the RoCP connection, or City Hall (which goes through the parking garage, doesn't it?)

The underground passageways through the NYCC aren't well developed at all. The general public will have no clue that a parking lot or fire well links somehow but quite indirectly to the subway. Sheppard and NYC should have a continuous PATH linking them, the same as Yonge stops are connected to University's.

The Madison Building (4950) nor Yonge-Norton (5255) are in no way connected despite having a high ratio of office workers that rely on the subway. The parkette at the NW corner of Park Home and Yonge, wtf? No wonder McDoanald's moved away. The TTC's great vision for NYCC apparently is another gated link to the mall instead of building a portal or walkway for costumers wanting access north of Empress.

The Madison Building (4950) nor Yonge-Norton (5255) are in no way connected despite having a high ratio of office workers that rely on the subway. The parkette at the NW corner of Park Home and Yonge, wtf? No wonder McDoanald's moved away. The TTC's great vision for NYCC apparently is another gated link to the mall instead of building a portal or walkway for costumers wanting access north of Empress.

4950 Yonge is connected by a visible, well-known mini-PATH tunnel to Sheppard station. I'd rather take an indoor escalator than a long, exposed staircase on the street perpetually covered in slush and leaves. 5255 Yonge is three blocks away from a station and would require a 300m tunnel.

So McDonald's closed because the northern exit of the North York Centre station lets people into the civic centre instead of a long tunnel to nowhere? Gotcha. Oh, and costumers only need access on Halloween...building long tunnels for just this one day would be a waste.

Back