News   May 02, 2024
 493     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 299     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 264     0 

CNE Air Show

When I lived on the top floor of 24 Noble (late 90's), I had the greatest view of the show. They weren't THAT close, but with that noise level, it felt like they were about to crash through my window. It was fabulous. (The Benson & Hedges Symphony of Fire - cued up to a simulcast on the radio - was also )
I'm a pretty understanding guy, but I've never understood the complaints. It's what, a couple hours at most? This is enough to wreck your day/life?

I think the big concern is not so much about noise but rather the huge risk to the public of performing over highly populated areas. I remember a few years back when the Blue Angels performed at the CNE. Much of the formation flying took place over the city (not just over Lake Ontario). As an aviation enthusiast it was thrilling to watch but at the same time I realized the great risk to the public. The Blue Angel pilots are subjected to tremendous G-forces as they perform their routines. What most people don't realize is that the Blue Angel pilots do NOT wear g-suits as the pressure-suits are too cumbersome and would inhibit precision control inputs. The last Blue Angel fatality occurred at a show in South Carolina in 2007 when a pilot blacked-out from the effects of G-Force and crashed into a rural area. Imagine the carnage if a similar accident were to occur in downtown Toronto because a pilot blacked out!

Just love this pic from The Globe!

SIU09-020911-we_1315649cl-8.jpg

It is amusing that the Canadian airshow is showcasing US military might.
They did invent the airplane you know. Seriously though, the US forces come because they're the closest. Everyone else needs to fly across oceans to get to us... IIRC the Red Arrows did it once.

Last edited:
They did invent the airplane you know. Seriously though, the US forces come because there the closest. Everyone else needs to fly across oceans to get to us... IIRC the Red Arrows did it once.

The Royal Air Force throughout the past years have brought in many, including the Vulcan Bomber, the Harriers, the Nimrod, etc..
I think that British Airways at one time even had a pass by of the Concord and a 747 on a regular flight from London-Toronto

I'm not a fan of war machines...but I was at the airshow in the Corporate VIP area today....I have to admit...I was impressed! The show was amazing and even though I don't like war stuff.....it's great to know that there is technology that keeps us safe from countries that would love to overrun us.....as far as the American military presence...thank God for them....they would not let us fall to another country and quite frankly our military is just as impressive! Enjoyed the show, even though it was cut short by an hour because of the storm today.

They did invent the airplane you know. Seriously though, the US forces come because there the closest. Everyone else needs to fly across oceans to get to us... IIRC the Red Arrows did it once.

Not according to the French who claim powered flight 13 years earlier, but the event was not thoroughly documented. I believe they even coined the term aéroplane.

In a few years we might be seeing the F-35, perhaps Canada's last big order of manned fighter aircraft.

I didn't notice any planes buzzing around yesterday (Sat.) but have seen a few today so far. I'm really hoping the weather will hold out for tomorrow and go over and see the show then.

I was in Little Italy during the Air Show and the noise from a plane got so intense, people thought it was going to crash. They were really freaking out. I think I might have caught some of it on film. If I did, I'll post it. I really thought the plane was coming down on us. lol

The air show is awesome.

I thought the announcer was going to have an orgasm when he was listing the specifications and armaments of the A-10 Thunderbolt.

Cias - cyyz / cne

If you live in the surrounding areas of the CNE, you probably heard most of the noise during the airshow that took place on September 4th, 5th, and 6th; I know for some it can be very loud at times and also can be frightening when these fighter pilots push their airplanes to the MAX. I know that some citizens of Toronto can get frightened over loud noises, but these loud noises happen only once a year at the CIAS and only for a short duration during the day. Now imagine if you lived near Toronto Pearson International Airport, the noise that the heavy metal jets make occur daily and all year round.

Anyways, with that out of the way.... I was at CYYZ on September 3rd and 4th watching some of the performers do flybys for the Control Tower (NAV Canada). Also they did some crazy flybys for the crowd that was watching from the surrounding area of the Airport, but I was at the Wendy's for sometime before I moved myself to Landmark Aviation.

The organizers of the CIAS.org sent me a daily show schedule for each day of the Airshow, but the show schedule could change without notice. For example (Sunday September 5th, 2011):

A-10 West Demo (Some what loud) 12:30
Shawinigan Passes 12:45
Air Cadets - Glider 12:50
CP-140 Aurora Fly bys 13:02
Misty Blues Skydiving 13:08
Mike Wiskus - Lucas Oil 13:27
Heavy Metal Jet Team (Kinda Loud) 13:40
Pete McLeod - Edge 540 14:06
CWH Lancaster Fly bys 14:19
Rick Volker - Sukhoi 14:31
CF-18 Demo (VERY LOUD) 14:44
MV-22 Osprey Demo 14:59
Manfred Radius - Glider 15:19
Mike Wiskus 15:29
Snowbirds (Kinda Loud) 15:45

The Snowbirds performance for September 5th, 2011 ended early yesterday due to the Cloud Ceiling being low and organizers were concerned about fuel usage due to restrictions, so they called off the show early. SAFETY FIRST

Some pictures and video from CYYZ as well from the CNE. Coming soon

*I fly a Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, just going through my ground school.

Had an awesome view of the airshow from my balcony -- a couple of times planes swooped right over us and we got a great look at the paintjobs :); the flyby's at the Island airport were great.

A-10 West Demo (Some what loud) 12:30
Shawinigan Passes 12:45
Air Cadets - Glider 12:50
CP-140 Aurora Fly bys 13:02
Misty Blues Skydiving 13:08
Mike Wiskus - Lucas Oil 13:27
Heavy Metal Jet Team (Kinda Loud) 13:40
Pete McLeod - Edge 540 14:06
CWH Lancaster Fly bys 14:19
Rick Volker - Sukhoi 14:31
CF-18 Demo (VERY LOUD) 14:44
MV-22 Osprey Demo 14:59
Manfred Radius - Glider 15:19
Mike Wiskus 15:29
Snowbirds (Kinda Loud) 15:45

My husband and I had considered going, but we're vintage warbird fans and the Lanc was just about it this year (and we can go see that at Canadian Warplane Heritage up close and personal, as much as I love hearing those four engines going in flight.).

Hmm, is it possible I saw that Lancaster doing touch-and-go landing at the Island airport a few months ago? Saw something like that while in the upper stands at BMO Field earlier this year.

Some pictures first

Some pictures from Landmark Aviation, taken Sat 3/Sun 4 at CYYZ.

L-39 Albatross Trainers with Fairchild Republic A-10 Warthog

CIMG6833.jpg

MV-22 Osprey #02, there was another one, but couldn't get it in the shot.

CIMG6836.jpg

Fairchild Republic A-10 Warthog

CIMG6854.jpg

L-39 Albatross Trainers - Heavy Metal Jet Team

CIMG6841.jpg

The Mig-17 the team leader for the Heavy Metal Jet Team

CIMG6849.jpg

Another shot of the Mig-17

CIMG6837.jpg

More pictures tomorrow and possible video

Back