News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.7K     10 

CNE Air Show

does the glass break or does the window pop out.???

sonic boom explained:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9A2oq1N38

pretty cool.

compared to our primate relatives, it's amazing that in around just 200000 years of existing, humans are able to travel faster than sound. yes, i know humanity is plagued with problems but once and a while, it's nice to look at the achievements. the existence of such technology is dependent human innovations all the way back from when humans started to communicate, developed language, discovered how to make fire, etc. having a device that can beat the speed of sound in which we can travel in is based on accumulation of much knowledge and discovery over time.

boom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY0xNb4pubA

Having an office close to the airport is convenient for work travel and making late dropoffs at Fedex, but it also means I get to see/hear a lot of the planes that come and go for the Air Show.

Passing by on Derry Rd last night, I did a pretty major double take at seeing a couple of these bad boys parked side by side. Can't wait to see them in action over the weekend:

040701-N-9999J-001.jpg

I've been hearing fighter jets since yesterday, but today has been busier since 12:20 or so when the first CF18 headed down. It doesn't seem like we'll get the Blue Angels this year, but getting the Heavy Metal jet team instead:

heavy_metal_jet_team_2.jpg

The A-10 Thunderbolt should be interesting too:

a-10_thunderbolt.jpg

I'm kinda surprised that the usual characters haven't been complaining about the Air Show yet.

I'm kinda surprised that the usual characters haven't been complaining about the Air Show yet.

Who normally complains about the air show?

Sitting on the patio at the Duke of TD for a (ahem) lunch today, the practice runs were VERY loud, but we didn't actually see any fly-bys. It's almost more impressive hearing the noise without the sights!

Who the heck would complain about the air show?

This will be my first air show since moving here. I can't wait. Got the camera all charged up. :D

Hopefully the weather is nice this year. Last year it was cancelled the day I went due to windy weather.

It is amusing that the Canadian airshow is showcasing US military might.

There was complaints last year. Some about the waste of fuel / environmental impact, but most about the noise so close to a populated area.

No F22 this year, by the looks of it. I agree that the sounds alone are pretty cool - the sight of a small plane in the distance somehow doesn't seem right, a lot of the time.

I parked myself at the little peninsula by Palace Pier last summer and it proved to be a good vantage point. Lots of people, families with kids, single ladies with their dogs...

It is amusing that the Canadian airshow is showcasing US military might.

They have for years and years.
I like the noise from the planes, that's part of the entertainment with some of the aircraft. I can often hear them where I live but it's much better west of Ontario Place so the sun isn't blinding. I've seen it a few times from Hanlan's Point (bad location, sun in eyes) but the actual beach would vibrate with some of the flyby's, it was very cool!
This weekend is looking like a write-off weather-wise, hopefully Monday will be the day.

Yes seems to be an UT tradition started by the usual whiners who don't like airplane noise in the city. :rolleyes:

Sometimes they have the Canadair CL 415 waterbombers if they can spare them, and recently they had the C-17 (?) transport plane that was going to Afghanistan. I think last year the HMCS Frederiction was there too. Please note the HMCS Montreal is at Yonge and Queens Quay now and is scheduled to be joined by the HMCS Shawinigan and Summerside over the weekend which is extremely rare. So you can visit the RCAF and the RCN in the same wknd.

Back