News   Jul 12, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 644     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 287     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

If they want to make it usable year-round, perhaps they can consider using radiant heating for clearing snow from the slabs - it's going to be one pricey electricity bill...

Why not use waste heat from the surrounding buildings?

It might be off topic but I love Fantino's idea of the square:

"a problem is now arising where portions of the public believe that Dundas Square is a public space."

Source.

Mayor of Vaughan indeed...

Technically it is privately owned, no? Hence the security. I think we've gone over this many times.
That's probably what Fantino meant when he said that.

It's owned by the city, therefore it's public.

Owned by the city, but not run like other public spaces in the city. There is a separate board responsible for managing the square. You need to rent the space from the board. It is run as a business, unlike all of the other public space in the city.

Making this akin to an outdoor version of one of those neoclassical Wedding-warehouses in Woodbridge? That makes for a pretty dismal notion of urbanism if you ask me.

Yonge-Dundas Square has no natural draw. For the millions spent on it it does not attract people on its own merits. Except in summer when the fountains are flowing (the best element in the square) why would anyone want to hang at YD Square? Sure, when there's something going on its a terrific open space to stage events in the middle of the city. But as an urban park, a signature space in the urban heart of the city, it's uninspired. Here's a shot taken at 2pm Tuesday. OK, it's cold, but if the space was better designed it would have a lot more life. There's a steady flow on Yonge St. that never enters the square.

You're kind of missing the point. It's supposed to be the calm in the eye of the storm. It wasn't meant to be a park or space with it's own distractions.

Not many people cross the square now because there isn't much of a reason to. The new Citytv headquarters, should result in more traffic.

You're kind of missing the point. It's supposed to be the calm in the eye of the storm. It wasn't meant to be a park or space with it's own distractions.

Not many people cross the square now because there isn't much of a reason to. The new Citytv headquarters, should result in more traffic.

You really can't have it both ways ... if you want to create an urban park your not going to be able to host concerts are that requires wide open spaces ... so Y&D square is perfect the way it is for what it's intended to be.

Looks like some serious re-cladding after all. Pardon my 7am coffee-shakes!

dsc01524q.jpg

Fantino was corrupt and should be thrown in jail - and yes, he would fit in perfectly with the crowd up in Vaughn. He might even want to apply to become the Godfather..er, um sorry mayor.

but that is another topic all together...

p5

Fantino was corrupt and should be thrown in jail - and yes, he would fit in perfectly with the crowd up in Vaughn. He might even want to apply to become the Godfather..er, um sorry mayor.

but that is another topic all together...

p5

That was kind of random... I think you're in the wrong thread buddy.

Back