News   Jul 26, 2024
 149     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Cities scramble to qualify for infrastructure funding

In a fit of sanguine naivete, I was hoping that the funding announcement for "laneways projects" would be accompanied by a surprise announcement from council that the moratorium on laneway housing city-wide has been lifted, and that the stimulus money would go towards upgrading laneway infrastructure to accomodate such housing.

Spoonman

Slightly off topic, but I would like to thank Spoonman for reminding me why I like UT.

So few places on the internet where you can find people who can use the word sanguine in a sentence!

:D

whew ... for a moment there after hitting "submit reply", I was worried that perhaps I'd used the word in inappropriate context.

Is that it? Toronto's per capita share of this fund is more like $350 million, not $200 million.

Is that it? Toronto's per capita share of this fund is more like $350 million, not $200 million.

Perhaps there is a $150 million penalty for not applying properly in the first place. ;)

While it is my personal opinion that Mayor Miller should have been more harshly punished for initiating that little political game (he knew from day one the streetcars did not qualify under this project but assumed that he could politcally bully the feds)......it would seem the feds are playing their own political game by realizing the rules (deadlines) have to be bent 'cause going into a new political season in Ottawa with Toronto not getting any of the infrastructure money would be a hard thing to do.

Who said, anyway, that the infrastructure funding would be on a per capita basis?

Great news! Is there a City of Toronto page that lists what the extent of the road resurfacing work will be? I'm curious about which parts of Steeles will be repaved (entire length should be repaved and widened to 3 lanes each direction IMHO).

This is much needed work, especially for those watermain replacements. Lets hope the shovels get in the ground soon, as the construction season is almost over.

I am wondering why some of these places are undergoing road resurfacing when they are Transit City candidates, up for construction in the first tranche of lines (Eglinton for example).

I suspect that the government's counted various projects it's already contributed to as part of what it owes Toronto. The first page of the project list states that this funding is on top of funding for Union station upgrades, the SELRT, etc.

As far as stimulating the local economy goes, that's more than fair. And Toronto is in no way that bad an economic condition that it needs significant stimulus.

well the unemployment rate is well over 10% and near 11% in the Region of Peel.

However I think a few percentage points are people working for cash and well there a lot of new immigrants who can't find work at all.

However I think a few percentage points are people working for cash and well there a lot of new immigrants who can't find work at all.

10% is no where as bad as some of the more hard hit places in this country. As for Peel at 11%, they'll get their own stimulus package. They aren't supposed to rely on the one Toronto is getting.

Peel got $46 million from feds, Missisauga got $46 million, Brampton got $16 million, Caledon got $5.2 million so ±$113 million for 1.2 million people (just from Infrastructure Stimulus Fund, doesn't include provincial contributions or the separate recreation stimulus program), more per capita than Toronto.

Well a lot my uncles are in trucking industry and they say things have started to pick up and they do more deliveries then they did in the early part of this year.

The store my dad and my uncle share is doing better then ever and much better then the start of this year.

So for me things are looking up...

Mississauga's share is largely going to rebuilding the public space adjacent to the City Hall and Central Library. Notice has been given that part of City Centre Drive will be closed for the next two years to facilitate this work.

Other major work is being done to rebuild four library branches, including the Port Credit branch, which has to be considered a bit of a disgrace at present, not having been updated since the 1950s.

Back