News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I noticed too that the real estate sign is gone from the window. Hopefully they're painting the entire facade this time and not just the bottom half as before.

I saw a group busy stripping down and carting out stuff to large garbage bins from the back of Alibi today. I don't know if that means a new bar is going in there or not but I thought it might be noteworthy.

Why did they have to strip down?

Oh, I forgot, it's the Village ...

Why did they have to strip down?

Oh, I forgot, it's the Village ...

See, I was expecting you to go for the "They are also painting the facade today - cream." comment... but in the end all low hanging fruit are just a juicy!

Halloween in the Village

One week until Halloween. If you don't have anything to do plan to head down to the Church-Wellesley Village and scope out the Halloween events. The street closes at 6pm until 4am, it promises to be a good year with plenty of events happening throughout the day and evening - as long as it doesn't rain!

http://www.halloweek.ca/

So in our tiny little village we've now got the following vacancies:

• Former Priape above Woody's
  • Former Crews
  • Former Pizza Nova between Slacks and their new location
  • Former Church Street Diner
  • Former Zelda's

Seems like a lot, doesn't it? We're also down two nightlife spots, since Priape took over 501/Vice.

Another to add to the list.

I noticed today that the Greek restaurant next to "Crepe It Up" seems to have closed down suddenly. It could be a renovation but no signs are posted indicating such. It's too bad, this place had really friendly staff/owners, the food was pretty good, the prices were reasonable and it was open late.

Candlelight Vigil For Khristopher Skinner - 8pm tonight

Church & Wellesley, Sunday at 8:00pm

To all queer communities and allies and everyone who has ever had to suffer at the hands of hate - this is a call out for a CANDLELIGHT VIGIL ON SUNDAY NIGHT AT 8PM AT THE CORNER OF CHURCH & WELLESLEY.

A pre-determined course has been set. It looks like the march will move from Church and Wellesley to the scene of the crime (Adelaide & Victoria Sts)

Bring a candle, a sign, a flower, whatever. We will hold our candles high, with eyes pointed towards the sky to let Chris know that he is not there alone. We will offer this light as a way to always cherish this incredible human being and all of the people that have been brought together as a result of this tragedy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/712774--friends-fear-slain-man-targeted

^ Quite a few people out for the vigil when I went by around 8

vigil.jpg

From what I heard the guy wasn't targeted because he was gay but because he'd inadvertently brushed someone's car as they drove by.

Either way, dude didn't deserve to die by any means whatsoever. I hope they catch the scumbags who did it and throw the book at them.

Mind you, with our justice system, they'll probably get a deal to testify against the guy for damaging their car.

From what I heard the guy wasn't targeted because he was gay but because he'd inadvertently brushed someone's car as they drove by.

Yeah, I didn't quite understand why the Gayberhood was holding a vigil for him...It seemed kind of presumptuous.

Church & Wellesley, Sunday at 8:00pm

To all queer communities and allies and everyone who has ever had to suffer at the hands of hate - this is a call out for a CANDLELIGHT VIGIL ON SUNDAY NIGHT AT 8PM AT THE CORNER OF CHURCH & WELLESLEY.

A pre-determined course has been set. It looks like the march will move from Church and Wellesley to the scene of the crime (Adelaide & Victoria Sts)

Bring a candle, a sign, a flower, whatever. We will hold our candles high, with eyes pointed towards the sky to let Chris know that he is not there alone. We will offer this light as a way to always cherish this incredible human being and all of the people that have been brought together as a result of this tragedy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/712774--friends-fear-slain-man-targeted

It was a very good turnout, 3,000-4,000 people at least.
My batteries ran out shortly in :(

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

agreed...there was nothing to indicate this was a hate crime...just a senseless murder over something stupid

that being said, if it brings comfort to his family and friends to hold a vigil so be it...

They are also painting the facade today - cream.

So far this is much, much better than what the previous group did to the front of this great building.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

what did they previously do that makes this 'much, much better' ?

Previously, the top half was a partial cream coloured paint job (with some of the purple paint still exposed in some areas that they missed during the Alibi renovation) with the bottom 8 or 10' of the building painted black. Previous to that, it was painted purple for a time when it was Trax. I'm a little alarmed to see the window missing above the entrance, hopefully it's just covered up.
I don't know if this is a rumour or not but years ago I was told that many years ago (decades probably) this building was a funeral parlour.

so does anyone actually know what's going in there?

is it another gay bar......or is this all just speculation?

Don't know. Anyone?

Last edited:

Back