News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Apparently the only house that would be raised would be where the tanning place is. And look for 20-25 stories.

584 Church Street (Catherine Collard House) is barely 20 feet wide, there are more properties involved than just 584 Church

From my understanding, the other houses (ie. Fuzion) would be kept intact.

Staff Report (in part):

Staff have received a preliminary development proposal for a residential condominium tower at the southwest corner of Church Street and Gloucester Street. The inclusion of the properties identified in the recommendations below on the City’s heritage inventory would enable staff to monitor the sites and encourage the retention of their heritage attributes and values in any redevelopment of the properties.

ISSUE BACKGROUND
Staff have received a preliminary proposal for the development of a residential condominium tower at the southwest corner of Church Street and Gloucester Street. The development site includes the properties at 580 and 582 Church Street, which are listed on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties. The remainder of the site contains properties with house form buildings and apartment houses from the late 19th and early 20th centuries that contribute to the historical residential character of Church Street north of Wellesley Street.

Source

Photos (post #431)

Now if I read this report correctly it identifies the proposal as the S/W corner of Church and Gloucester (contrary to the story in NOW Magazine as being the S/W corner of Dundonald & Church) but the map at the bottom of the Staff Report contradicts what is written. It shows the duplex property at 580 & 582 Church (N/W corner of Dundonald & Church) as being the site in question. Am I reading this all wrong?

Last edited:
So in our tiny little village we've now got the following vacancies:

• Former Priape above Woody's
  • Former Crews
  • Former Pizza Nova between Slacks and their new location
  • Former Church Street Diner
  • Former Zelda's

Seems like a lot, doesn't it? We're also down two nightlife spots, since Priape took over 501/Vice.

maybe the scene is just more integrated now and people are exploring other venues for fun?

I wish it would die but with the internet having to specifically go to a gay bar isn't really necessary and hasn't been for over a decade. Maybe we're just seeing the results of that.

maybe the scene is just more integrated now and people are exploring other venues for fun?

I wish it would die but with the internet having to specifically go to a gay bar isn't really necessary and hasn't been for over a decade. Maybe we're just seeing the results of that.

This discussion already been played 10 or so pages ago, but who really finds the internet a suitable replacement for a night on the town? Actually it's more of a replacement for a bathhouse than a bar or club.

The scene is more integrated and you can find more gay folk out and about, though not down in the Entertainment District

The culprit on Church really is rent rates. Church St. is prime property, with heavy pedestrian traffic all day and night in an established commercial area. There's even a large target market for gay-oriented establishments living in the vicinity! However, you can't profitably run a bar or club here unless you can exploit the big profit margin on booze by having lots and lots of customers. For a small venue, that is really hard, even if you pack people in every night. The reality is, no one wants to take the risk, especially after the recent failures.

There is obviously demand for more spaces. as even in the winter, Crews and Woody's could have lineups an hour long on weekend nights. The internet is not a substitute for this kind of social entertainment, unless you are going to the club just to pick up a random guy to have sex with. And really, given how Steamworks is going strong, the random sex thing doesn't seem to have been monopolized by the internet either.

Last edited:
This discussion already been played 10 or so pages ago, but who really finds the internet a suitable replacement for a night on the town? Actually it's more of a replacement for a bathhouse than a bar or club.

I wasn't saying it was a replacement for a night out but rather that gays in larger numbers might actually be going to venues outside of the ghetto for a night out because they don't need to be at a gay only venue to meet each other and there aren't a lot of the same safety issues that there once was.

So in our tiny little village we've now got the following vacancies:

• Former Priape above Woody's
  • Former Crews
  • Former Pizza Nova between Slacks and their new location
  • Former Church Street Diner
  • Former Zelda's

Seems like a lot, doesn't it? We're also down two nightlife spots, since Priape took over 501/Vice.
Three if you include Alibi. Four if you include 5ive. Although, non-Village spots like East End Boyz, The Beaver, Old Nick (Danforth), certain nights at Wrong Bar, etc. make up for some of this. Still, I'd say we are down the equivalent of at least two bars.

The culprit on Church really is rent rates. Church St. is prime property, with heavy pedestrian traffic all day and night in an established commercial area. There's even a large target market for gay-oriented establishments living in the vicinity! However, you can't profitably run a bar or club here unless you can exploit the big profit margin on booze by having lots and lots of customers. For a small venue, that is really hard, even if you pack people in every night. The reality is, no one wants to take the risk, especially after the recent failures.
Maybe we are witnessing in Toronto what has been happening in London, England. The de-gaying of Soho and the gaying of Clapham? I'm just not sure where our Clapham is though.

Yet, they are doing just fine.

Last edited:
Somewhere there's an article about census data (or a similar type) describing where gay men are living, and where lesbians are living.

Gay men seem to be spread out all over the downtown core and the Village.
Gay women/lesbians seem to be living in Leslieville, etc. etc.

I'd be very interested to know where the next village is, but I haven't really heard of any gay places outside of the village. I know people say Queen West has lots of gays, but I don't know of anything out there worth going to that's not mixed.

Back