News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 647     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 976     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Once again I have no affliction with it but I do walk by the barn a lot at night ... :) It definitely seems closed to me. Haven't ever scene anyone walk in or out on Wednesday / Friday night.

The Barn is open.
I don't know what's happening at Crews/Tango. Their website domain is up for sale (www.crews-tango.com), newspapers are up in the windows and there is nothing on their sign that indicates what's going on. I didn't see a liquor infraction notice posted anywhere. One of my best friends is a bartender/entertainer there so I'll see what I can dig up.
At least we still have the Eagle :)

Last edited:
The Barn is open.
I don't know what's happening at Crews/Tango. Their website domain is up for sale (www.crews-tango.com), newspapers are up in the windows and there is nothing on their sign that indicates what's going on. I didn't see a liquor infraction notice posted anywhere. One of my best friends is a bartender/entertainer there so I'll see what I can dig up.
At least we still have the Eagle :)

The Barn looks really really closed to me, but then again I'm not sure - I never see anyone in it on Wednesday nights

A friend of mine was at the Barn yesterday. It may look closed on the outside, but it's open.

Anyways, I think it's about time the city let an actual dance club or two open up in the village.

I don't know if the city allowing it would make any difference. If there was a viable business case for the clubs, the grandfathered club licenses at 5ive/Action, Alibi/Trax, 501/Church Street Bar, would have been snapped up. But of those three, two are now gone - 5ive is becoming a condo tower after sitting vacant for a couple years now, and Church Street Bar is now retail. Alibi/Trax is now empty, awaiting the next attempt to make it viable.

On top of that, where would a dance club actually open on Church St.? There's not many buildings that are adapted for one, the only place i can see it possibly happening is in the parking lot between Crews/Tango and O'Grady's...

That being said - wasn't there a condo proposal for that lot?

My friend can't tell me what's going on with Crews/Tango so I didn't dig, however it is re-opening.

It would be a shame if Church Street lost all it's dance venues. What's a Gay Village without dance clubs? It seems to be happening all over. DAMN INTERNET!

It's a function of the fact that in this society where the LGBT community is increasingly accepted in general that there is less of a need for a 'Gay Village'. Instead of joining a community 'just because you're gay', you can join other communities and just happen to be gay. What we're seeing is what happened in NYC over the past decade or so - you get pockets of LGBT activity throughout the city. There are now more queer friendly events at venues throughout the city now, and I see no reason why they should be concentrated in one area.

It's an interesting place to be-- it's sort of a bad thing, and sort of a good thing.

There are indeed gay nights and gay-friendly venues throughout Toronto, though. :)

It's a function of the fact that in this society where the LGBT community is increasingly accepted in general that there is less of a need for a 'Gay Village'. Instead of joining a community 'just because you're gay', you can join other communities and just happen to be gay. What we're seeing is what happened in NYC over the past decade or so - you get pockets of LGBT activity throughout the city. There are now more queer friendly events at venues throughout the city now, and I see no reason why they should be concentrated in one area.

I like it concentrated in one area because it's way more fun! When I walk on West Queen West, it has about as much of a gay vibe as Scarborough. In all the times I've been there, I've never met a single person I know. Isn't going out partly about running into friends and socializing? That's why you need a Gay Village. Oh, and to get laid too! ;)

Are we still post-gay? Maybe we need to wait until we're post-post-gay to see a renaissance in the Church St. scene? Just gotta get all those up and coming newbies off the internet and back into the bars and bath houses!!

The Internet has effected gay nightlife and gay villages all around the world. (Of course, in a negative way) For many gay men, the fantasy of meeting Mr. Right online, without having to get your ass off a chair, is just so much easier, even if it usually leads to loneliness and frustration. I read an article recently that said more gays than ever, are listing loneliness as their biggest problem. Check out this video reporting on the decline of gay nightlife.

http://mollywoodto.ning.com/video/how-the-internet-changed-gay

This kinda explains why I'd hate to see the decline of The Gay Village. It's good to keep ones options open, so on those rare occasions when one needs a bit of "fabulousness", it's still there. I'm old enough to remember the good old days, when lack of options forced closet cases to go to bars. Within a few short months, I was OUT!

Last edited:

Back