News   Jun 25, 2024
 866     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 814     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Church-Wellesley Village

College Night @ the Barn on Wednesdays has been alive and busy all fall and winter as far as I know, and most definitely HAS been operating in recent weeks.

PS. I'd never heard of Alibi, but this is from the website:

SOURCE: http://www.alibitoronto.com/

ALIBI TORONTO

Notice of Closure

Friday, December 12, 2008

It is with sincere regret that I make 2 announcements

Firstly, Mr Dennis Harvey, owner of the premises at 529 Yonge Street, passed away suddenly 2 weeks ago. Under his direction, Trax V operated as a popular bar and meeting place for countless thousands of gay men and lesbians in Toronto; he will be sadly missed

Secondly, Alibi Toronto will cease operations on Friday, December 12 after 3 years of service to the gay and lesbian Community in Toronto. At this point, and on behalf of the entire staff at Alibi, I will express sincere thanks to all the Community Groups who have chosen to call Alibi home. In particular, I will acknowledge the TNT, TORN, CGSL and VPL groups

In addition, I will take this opportunity to say thanks to the Alibi team responsible for making the Alibi experience a memorable one; we continued to do this by providing the very best level of customer service. Thanks again.

Sincerely

2087365 Ontario Inc

Gary Manz, President

The Barn is open for selected nights only. One example is Wednesday's for the College night.

Being open for selected nights is not uncommon. Some clubs only open on Saturdays.

If it's not even worth their while to open on Fridays the bar can't be doing very well. I wasn't in Toronto when The Barn was originally open, but from what I've heard it was a lot more fun "back in the day."

I've given it a lot of chances, and it's been pretty rare that I've had much fun. It's got three levels, but both of them just end up being places to line up to get onto the main floor. It's not worth going to the top floor to see if anything's going on, because you'll get stuck there for 45 minutes waiting to get down again!

Once upon a time it was a melting pot where homos from different scenes would intermingle, but now it's pretty much been left to the older set. Unless it ends up under new management again, I think the bar's exhausted any opportunity it had to draw in decent crowds.

College Night is still decent though.

The barn used to be a great place to hang out. It was packed every weekend and used to stay open to 4 or 5 am. (That was back in the 80's & 90's lol) With almost no dance bars in Toronto, it would be a shame to see it close. There are no gay dance bars to go dancing on a Friday night and not have to pay a cover charge. That's just sad! From what I hear, London has dozens of them.

Just to confirm the above the barn is still kicking and just to be clear I didn't go in to confirm this.

They forced fed me some flyers around Ryerson for a few events this weekend at the barn for Valentines day parties.

More Funding

But commuters from the zoo area are supposed to use the Sheppard line not the Morningside LRT.

They really should look at the cost of extending it. It would not cost that much more in funding. Perhaps the goverment still is attached to the negative stigma of Malvern.

If so, shame on them.

They really should look at the cost of extending it. It would not cost that much more in funding. Perhaps the goverment still is attached to the negative stigma of Malvern.

If so, shame on them.

I don't think it's stigma, it's cash. And Malvern does not need the Morningside LRT to terminate at Malvern Town Centre. Sheppard and the SRT extension will serve us great. Turning Malvern Town Centre into an area bus hub that feeds into the SRT extension will really speed up the connection to downtown. I'd rather give up the Morningside extension to a corridor that really needs it...like Ellesmere.

Makes sense

I don't think it's stigma, it's cash. And Malvern does not need the Morningside LRT to terminate at Malvern Town Centre. Sheppard and the SRT extension will serve us great. Turning Malvern Town Centre into an area bus hub that feeds into the SRT extension will really speed up the connection to downtown. I'd rather give up the Morningside extension to a corridor that really needs it...like Ellesmere.

kEiThZ, you are right about the bus hub. I would imagine it will significantly help those heading south.

I have just started spending time in Malvern and I wish could dispense with the stigma attached. It seems that they are thinking about the Malvern many years ago. Am I correct?

I have just started spending time in Malvern and I wish could dispense with the stigma attached. It seems that they are thinking about the Malvern many years ago. Am I correct?

It's not that it was many years ago....it's just baseless that's what it is. Malvern has had some high profile crime but it's not some district where crime is rampant. There are worse parts of the city. It's simply a perpetuation of the myth...ie Malvern is 'da hood' of Scarborough which the is the 'ghetto' of Toronto which is apparently the crime capital of the world to some Canadians. It's BS.

I stopped by The Barn around 12:30 on Saturday night. There were around a dozen people downstairs, and no more than a handful on the main floor. Needless to say I didn't stick around.

Looks like it's on its way out.

Does anyone have news re the Church Street Diner? It closed months ago for renos. It was featured recently featured on "Restaurant Makeover" but it's still closed...:confused:

There are permits in the windows and some activity taking place there today so something may be in the works for the Church Street Diner.

I'm quite likely going to College Night with some friends tonite so I'll see how it is and report back.

Back