News   Jun 25, 2024
 929     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Church-Wellesley Village

Wow, not my scene at all, but still not good news. I guess losing College Night was probably a pretty big blow to them.

I'm not sure that'd be such a good idea. It'd certainly compromise the whole "village" feel of the place. Some mid-rise 6 story construction with the retail right up to the sidewalk would be nice. I'm not a big fan of having all the shops 5 steps above or below grade, as it is on much of the street now.

Or how about building more retail north of Wellesley and south of Alexander? There's no reason the village can't expand out a bit.

The TD Canada Trust at the corner of Church & Wellesley is expanding - new office space directly above the branch on the 2nd floor (where the Archives used to be) - work begins in January.

That's why I think its ludicrous that the so called Scarborough Malvern LRT will go East on Sheppard and up Neilson to terminate at MTC. It barely touches Malvern. If they are going to do that, why waste the cash.

If they are going to build a LRT (and I am not so sure its really needed) at least route it down Tapscott/Sewells so that it connects the two high schools, the community centre, MTC, the seniors residence, and the buildings along those roads. Running it along Sheppard and up Neilson is so useless.

My personal choice, if they were going to build an LRT....run it up Morningside to Finch, then down Tapscott, then Sewells, and back to Morningside.....

That route would make more sense due to the houses/apartments along that route, especially Morningside north of Sheppard. but it would make it hell for commuters from the zoo area, and I think that's who the city is trying to help.

That route would make more sense due to the houses/apartments along that route, especially Morningside north of Sheppard. but it would make it hell for commuters from the zoo area, and I think that's who the city is trying to help.

But commuters from the zoo area are supposed to use the Sheppard line not the Morningside LRT.

The KFC has closed up. In fact, the whole building seems to be vacant now.

Great, they'll tear down a perfectly functional building and leave a vacant lot for years while they wait for the economy to rebound. That's what developers love to do on Wellesley, right? Grumble grumble, get off my lawn!

Great, they'll tear down a perfectly functional building and leave a vacant lot for years while they wait for the economy to rebound. That's what developers love to do on Wellesley, right? Grumble grumble, get off my lawn!

This would be an ideal location for eliminating the two or three car driveway in front and extending the ground floor retail to the street

A friend of mine went to The Barn yesterday and told me it was closed. I hope that's not permanent because Alibi closed recently and that leaves very few gay bars to dance at. The bars seem to be closing one by one and no new clubs are opening.

It seemed open to me when I walked by yesterday after going to Ryerson.

I've never been inside (or plan to :D) so I'm not sure what was going on exactly.

I've lived in this neighbourhood for 20 years and it's definitely changing and changing fast. Used to be when there was a vacancy on Church it would be snapped up by another bar. Nowadays it's more likely to be taken by a bank or Sushi restaurant or Cheese shop. I'm guessing that in less than 10 years it will no longer be known as the 'Gay Village', it will just be known as 'the Village'.

Back