134     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 863     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 290     0 

Chick-fil-A

Should Chick-fil-A stay or go?

• Total voters
I worked in a lot of restaurants that close on Sundays, and even Monday's. Sunday’s are usually the slowest day of the week for restaurants. Especially in the financial district.

As to this change in mind, well there is nothing wrong with donating to Christian charities - it's beyond reproach as long as those very charities don't engage in blatantly discriminatory actions.
Christian can mean whatever one wants, but Roman Catholic dogma and policy is clearly anti-LGBT. Myself, I switched from RC to Anglican for the most part because the RC held views I could not morally and especially financially support.

Christian can mean whatever one wants, but Roman Catholic dogma and policy is clearly anti-LGBT. Myself, I switched from RC to Anglican for the most part because the RC held views I could not morally and especially financially support.

Sure, but if the RC charity focus on charity work and not so much so dogma, I can surely be flexible. The whole baby and bathwater analogy - don't let that get in the way of actual work. When the charity itself actually preaches discrimination is when the time should be drawn.

AoD

Last edited:
Haven't been following this, but I'm surprised all this time it was about the Salvation Army.

You'd think that given the way it was reported on, Chik-fil-a was donating to something like the Westboro Church or some Conversion Therapy group.

Shows you the power of framing I suppose!

On another forum I participate on that is dominated by US members, this is being interpreted as the Company caving to the radical left.

Is it City-Data?

Haven't been following this, but I'm surprised all this time it was about the Salvation Army.

You'd think that given the way it was reported on, Chik-fil-a was donating to something like the Westboro Church or some Conversion Therapy group.

Shows you the power of framing I suppose!

Sally Ann constituted only about 10% of the donation of late. Most of it went to this place:

AoD

The Sally Ann is a little more insidious than you might think. They have held anti-gay positions, supported conversion-therapy groups, and have fought to avoid same sex benefits and fought against anti-LGBT legislation all across the globe. They're just as bad as other groups (perhaps not Westboro; but who is?), they just have a more familiar face.

Looking forward to getting down there one of these days to try it out and hopefully the queue has died down by then. I couldn't care who the owners donate to — if I like the product, I'll purchase it.

I'm guessing all the people complaining about this are fine using their smartphones and fancy sneakers that are made by children in sweatshops. People can pick and choose when they choose to have morals all they want, doesn't bother me, just pointing out the irony.

I think as a gay dude it's 100% fair that I don;t want to give my money to a company that opposes me having rights, and funds the literal torture (cus that's what conversion therapy is) of gay youth. The idea that "if you have an objection to one thing, you must object to all things" is a ridiculous justification to dismiss people's issues with Chick-Fil-A, and let you feel smug about it at the same time.

Also, what exactly is the counterpoint argument here? That gays and people who oppose anti-LGBT groups must spend money at Chick-Fil-A or we're somehow hypocrites? I can spend my money where I want, as can you, and I choose not to spend any of it there.

I think as a gay dude it's 100% fair that I don;t want to give my money to a company that opposes me having rights, and funds the literal torture (cus that's what conversion therapy is) of gay youth. The idea that "if you have an objection to one thing, you

Did you see the news? Chick-fil-A is not only stopping donations to Christian organizations but is funding left-wing groups, including the anti-Christian Southern Poverty Law Center. So now the right wing pray the gay away Christians are calling for a boycott of Chick-fia LOL

This move has triggered the right-wing bigots. ?

Last edited:
So protest does work? Or is LBGTQ gaining enough power to force change? Or both? This is a good thing regardless.
I think the fact their first store in the UK shut down because people protested it so much was probably a big part of this. Slightly disappointed the opposite seems to have happened in Toronto, but also not really surprised after Doug Ford got elected on a campaign made of dog-whistle homophobia. Regardless, this is a good change overall, however, I won't be giving them any of my money until we see tax returns that show they actually stopped the donations, and didn't just try and be sneaky about it for PR reasons (which IIRC has been what they did in the past until they got caught donating to hate groups again).

I think the fact their first store in the UK shut down because people protested it so much was probably a big part of this. Slightly disappointed the opposite seems to have happened in Toronto, but also not really surprised after Doug Ford got elected on a campaign made of dog-whistle homophobia. Regardless, this is a good change overall, however, I won't be giving them any of my money until we see tax returns that show they actually stopped the donations, and didn't just try and be sneaky about it for PR reasons (which IIRC has been what they did in the past until they got caught donating to hate groups again).
Apparently, slapping rainbow decals on storefronts don't suffice until we actually see the tax return forms.

It's also not good business practice to fund hate groups, especially those designated as such by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The article @gabe linked mentioned that Chick-fil-A is donating to the SPLC, but that may not be enough.

Southern Poverty Law Center? lol, now I have a real reason to boycott Chik-fil-A. ;)

Those moppets at the SPLC are a bit much with their scurrilous lawsuits against all sorts of people.

Chik-fil-A should just stick to making questionable food instead of all this deranged and schizoid flip-flopping on donations to social causes. (Or in the case of the SPLC, anti-social causes).

Bloody hell, just plant some trees and source all your chickens from ethical farms and call it a day.

Back