News   Mar 28, 2024
 718     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 490     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 798     0 

Captain John's Restaurant (1975-2012)

This reminds me of the removal of ex-HMCS Haida, http://jproc.ca/haida/restoration_photos_2003.html

Unlike Jadran, Haida's trip to Welland resulted in a great restoration and service as the museum ship at HMCS Star.

Here's a pic of Haida visiting Toronto, is this the same pier that Jadran is in? It would be great to open that pier again for Royal Canadian Navy visits. I always think sticking visiting warships along the shoreline east of Loblaws is not a great location.

View attachment tbi-pathfinder-and-haida-on-pier-6-oct-19-1965.jpg

Attachments

• tbi-pathfinder-and-haida-on-pier-6-oct-19-1965.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 648
Last edited:
I used to love visiting the Haida when she was at Ontario Place. My uncle served on her during WW2.

Here's a pic of Haida visiting Toronto, is this the same pier that Jadran is in? It would be great to open that pier again for Royal Canadian Navy visits. I always think sticking visiting warships along the shoreline east of Loblaws is not a great location.

Given the perspective of the Royal York and Toronto Port buildings, that looks to be York slip, no? Now that there's a proper walkway from Sugar beach across to -- soon -- Parliament, I think that's a great place to park a big boat. It would be right in front of the Sherbourne Commons park.

Yes, they've always drawn big crowds when there have been RCN or Coast Guard ships tied up between Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Commons. I think there was a US Coast Guard ship tied up a summer or two ago as well.

Sbrolla agreed to pay $33,501 for the ship last summer, but failed to meet some payment deadlines and later partnered with Priestly in hopes of starting demolition at the foot of Parliament St. Ports Toronto eventually rejected the plan and returned Sbrolla’s money.

“I’m sure they don’t want the number made public because they overpaid so badly to have it taken away,” Sbrolla said outside the court, referring to the Marine Recycling bid.

Isn't THAT rich, coming from someone who can't even scrap together enough for the deadline when he "won" the bid and then came up with a half baked plan. The court should have charged him the additional costs due to the year long delay.

AoD

Yes, they've always drawn big crowds when there have been RCN or Coast Guard ships tied up between Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Commons. I think there was a US Coast Guard ship tied up a summer or two ago as well.
On a similar topic, under the 1818 Rush Bagot Treaty demilitarizing the Great Lakes there are strict rules regarding warships on the Lakes - something about number of ships at time. I imagine coast guard ships are exempt. I recall a Halifax class frigate and two Kingston class OPVs in Toronto for the air show some years ago, so three's permitted.

Interestingly, I can't recall any British naval vessels ever visiting Toronto. I did visit HMY Britannia when she was in Toronto in the 1990s.

MAINCanada.jpg

Attachments

• MAINCanada.jpg
    MAINCanada.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 615
What are the plans for the area once this hunk of crap is gone? I haven't seen anything from Waterfront Toronto but is there the possibility of a wave deck? Or maybe something even nicer for the foot of our most famous street? It's pretty ugly there now with the cratered asphalt, rotting ship and testicle sculpture.

There will be a continuation of what's been built along the waterfront at Sugar Beach. And another condo where the parking lot is.

It's pretty ugly there now with the cratered asphalt, rotting ship and testicle sculpture.

Hilarious. I said almost the exact same sentence to my wife yesterday. I totally agree. The area has been neglected for a very long time. I'm hoping all that is about to change.

Back